Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silicone removal?

I have a curved shower that leaks water from the inside of the shower to the outside of the clear plastic fixed pane, at the base of the fixed pane more or less. The water remains on the white plastic shower base pan, on the top surface that's about 3in wide and has the plastic pane placed in the middle of the 3in flat surface.

As of yet, I can't tell if the water is going under the base rail, or out through the gap near the base where the back shower wall meets the pan, the overlap area. That's about an inch up the vertical edge of the clear plastic fixed shower door pane.

There is clear silicone on every edge as far as I can see, but clearly some water gets through.

I haven't decided where to caulk yet, but I've read that nothing sticks to silicone, including more silicone. I'm concerned my caulking efforts will be thwarted by the old silicone.

What's the best way to remove the old silicone? I'm sure it involves a little scraping and peeling, but shouldn't I use some kind of solvent too?

TIA
    Mike

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The age old issue of silicone caulk. Pros use a digesting agent for complete removal. However, you should be able to do a sufficient job with mechanical removal and then a cloth soaked in isopropyl alcohol that is 91% or better. If you're obsessive, and old trick is to take a cup of bleached, all-purpose flour and introduce a little water (2-3 tablespoons) to make a paste. Spread the paste onto where the silicone caulk residue it - not extremely thick but a thin coat as if you were putting a final coat of joint compound on a drywall seam. Let it dry, and then with warm water and a cloth wipe it away. The silicone gets entrapped in the pores of the flour and allows you to lift it away versus pushing it around (what happens when softened with isopropyl.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The age old issue of silicone caulk. Pros use a digesting agent for complete removal. However, you should be able to do a sufficient job with mechanical removal and then a cloth soaked in isopropyl alcohol that is 91% or better. If you're obsessive, and old trick is to take a cup of bleached, all-purpose flour and introduce a little water (2-3 tablespoons) to make a paste. Spread the paste onto where the silicone caulk residue it - not extremely thick but a thin coat as if you were putting a final coat of joint compound on a drywall seam. Let it dry, and then with warm water and a cloth wipe it away. The silicone gets entrapped in the pores of the flour and allows you to lift it away versus pushing it around (what happens when softened with isopropyl.
    Thanks. That sounds like a nice trick. And yes, I have just enough OCD to make that work. LOL!