Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 150 series, tanks don't drain completely

We have a 230rl (reflection 150 series) and our tanks NEVER drain completely (including both greys and the black).

I know they don't drain fully as after I drain my tanks for 20 minutes (and I have a clear elbow so I can see no more fluid is draining), I can close my valves, drive a few miles, then re-open them and I get ALOT of black/grey gushing out (I would anticipate several gallons at a minimum).

So I'm usually forced to store my RV between trips knowing that I still have some fluids in my tanks.

I saw another thread where folks with solitude's had similar issues. Are others with reflections experiencing this? What have you done to try and solve it?
    Last edited by shutterbug; 07-28-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free bump, I'm curious also.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most tanks are fairly flat, square boxes with an outlet at one end.

Also, the drain valves are at the tank, and can have a long run to get the actual termination area, so even after you close the valve, some fluid can hang in the lines.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Most tanks are fairly flat, square boxes with an outlet at one end.

Also, the drain valves are at the tank, and can have a long run to get the actual termination area, so even after you close the valve, some fluid can hang in the lines.
    Thanks for the feedback.

It's not just in the lines. I have a clear elbow on my drain, I've left it open for up to 1/2hr and nothing is flowing at that point (not even a trickle). If I put the cap back on the end of the drain line, and close the drain valves, then move the trailer at all, then yes I get some out of the drain line. However, after doing that I leave all my tank valves open and put the cap on. Then move the trailer a bit, stop and remove the cap, again gallons come rushing out. so I have fluid that sits in both the tanks and the lines.
    As a test one time we waited 1/2hr until no trickle, then left the cap OFF and valves open on both grey tanks. So we drove off with both grey valves open and watched as gallons and gallons of grey water spewed out of the tank as we went around turns, over bumps, etc...

Most recently we dumped as we left our campground, waited until there was nothing showing in the clear elbow (nearly 1/2hr, after the initial 'rush' of water, it trickles forever). We drove 3 hours home, disconnected and leveled our trailer, I then took off the drain cap. A few drops in the line came out. I then opened both grey valves and another approx. 1.5 gallons drained out.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to drop the bottom cover (if any) and see how the tanks are supported and if the drain lines are at all normal.

I've heard of floor cut-out circles being discovered inside tanks and other strangeness. You might have a warranty claim.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

It's not just in the lines. I have a clear elbow on my drain, I've left it open for up to 1/2hr and nothing is flowing at that point (not even a trickle). If I put the cap back on the end of the drain line, and close the drain valves, then move the trailer at all, then yes I get some out of the drain line. However, after doing that I leave all my tank valves open and put the cap on. Then move the trailer a bit, stop and remove the cap, again gallons come rushing out. so I have fluid that sits in both the tanks and the lines.
    As a test one time we waited 1/2hr until no trickle, then left the cap OFF and valves open on both grey tanks. So we drove off with both grey valves open and watched as gallons and gallons of grey water spewed out of the tank as we went around turns, over bumps, etc...

Most recently we dumped as we left our campground, waited until there was nothing showing in the clear elbow (nearly 1/2hr, after the initial 'rush' of water, it trickles forever). We drove 3 hours home, disconnected and leveled our trailer, I then took off the drain cap. A few drops in the line came out. I then opened both grey valves and another approx. 1.5 gallons drained out.
    FYI- I have the same problem! 2018 (mfg date December 2017) 230RL It's a real nuisance...
    Rob
    230RL, Fifth Wheel, 2018 yr.
    Ram 2500 short bed, 4x4, Cummins Diesel, 2015 yr.
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't necessarily believe your sensors. Pour a bottle of vinegar into each of your grey tanks next time you close them after draining them. Also for your black tank, put about 20 oz of dawn dish liquid and fill the tank 1/3 full next time you travel. That might clean sensors off, and I'll be trying it next time I travel.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    Don't necessarily believe your sensors. Pour a bottle of vinegar into each of your grey tanks next time you close them after draining them. Also for your black tank, put about 20 oz of dawn dish liquid and fill the tank 1/3 full next time you travel. That might clean sensors off, and I'll be trying it next time I travel.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Are you suggesting to pour the vinegar down the kitchen sink and also the bath sink in order to get it into the 2 tanks ( Grey 1 and Grey 2)?
    Rob
    230RL, Fifth Wheel, 2018 yr.
    Ram 2500 short bed, 4x4, Cummins Diesel, 2015 yr.
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Gs View Post
    Thanks for the tips.
    Are you suggesting to pour the vinegar down the kitchen sink and also the bath sink in order to get it into the 2 tanks ( Grey 1 and Grey 2)?
    Exactly. I'll be trying this today with 1 bottle in each drain to see if I can clear my bottom gray tank sensors.

I want to add, I've not done this before with the vinegar, but I'm guessing this will work because I've been into some hard water. So my best guess is that my tank sensors have some build up.
    Last edited by chemist308; 08-18-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg