User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AC ducting for bedroom

I recently went from an travel trailer to a fifth wheel and was wondering if anyone can help me out on how AC units are supposed to be configured. I had ordered the fifth wheel with a second AC unit in the bedroom. The dealer messed up the order delivery and sent my unit to a store in another state. They then sent another unit to the local dealer for me but was without the second AC unit. No big deal they said as they would just drop one in. Now I took it out for first trip and seem to have an issue with trying to utilize both units. The main 15k unit pushes to two ducts in the bedroom and the bedroom unit seems to have no ducted vents but just the vent on the AC unit itself. Is this correct installation? Or should they have re routed those two bedroom ducts to the second AC unit? Is it even possible to do so?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like they installed the wrong AC. The same AC can come configured for ducted use or non-ducted use. Your dealer needs to remove that one and install the correct unit. BTW... let folks know which dealer this was so others can avoid them.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Sounds like they installed the wrong AC. The same AC can come configured for ducted use or non-ducted use. Your dealer needs to remove that one and install the correct unit. BTW... let folks know which dealer this was so others can avoid them.

Rob
    Yep, sounds like it is not configured to supply the raceway.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gstepp22 View Post
    I recently went from an travel trailer to a fifth wheel and was wondering if anyone can help me out on how AC units are supposed to be configured. I had ordered the fifth wheel with a second AC unit in the bedroom. The dealer messed up the order delivery and sent my unit to a store in another state. They then sent another unit to the local dealer for me but was without the second AC unit. No big deal they said as they would just drop one in. Now I took it out for first trip and seem to have an issue with trying to utilize both units. The main 15k unit pushes to two ducts in the bedroom and the bedroom unit seems to have no ducted vents but just the vent on the AC unit itself. Is this correct installation? Or should they have re routed those two bedroom ducts to the second AC unit? Is it even possible to do so?
    I'll bet if you tell all of us what model of fifth wheel you have someone here can tell you exactly which model A/C you should have and how it is venter.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 295RL. I knew that going with General RV you get what you pay for. I mean this was almost 10k cheaper than other local dealers in my area. However, I'm just curious how others who have a 2nd AC in bedroom have it configured. It just seems like a waste to have the two round vents in bedroom being supplied by the living area AC which is a mach 15 and the Mach 10 in the bedroom not ducted or vented at all. The dealer of course says that is normally how they install all second AC units. So I figured you all could give me some guidance on how it really should be configured.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter what dealer you went to or how much you paid. You were promised the a/c that was to come with the unit, period.
    Don't let the dealer get over on you. A call to GD would get that resolved quickly. And Yes, it should be ducted and the option to use as a dump vent.
    GD 800-825-8000
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    It doesn't matter what dealer you went to or how much you paid. You were promised the a/c that was to come with the unit, period.
    Don't let the dealer get over on you. A call to GD would get that resolved quickly. And Yes, it should be ducted and the option to use as a dump vent.
    GD 800-825-8000
    I'm in agreement with RoJoSo..... insist on the exact same unit that GD would install.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the two AC units, factory installed. Both are ducted through the raceway. When we are in the living area, we turn on the AC in the bedroom. It’s nice and quiet if you close the bedroom door, and plenty of cool air through the raceway system and out the living room vents.

Conversely, when we go to bed, we can turn off the bedroom unit, and turn on the one in the living room. Shut the bedroom door, and it’s the same story: Cool quiet AC for the bedroom.

If it’s set up right, it works great.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same issue with my 295RL. I called GD and they said the front unit was installed at the factory and was connected to the raceway according to their prints. I have almost no flow from that front unit through the vents. I will pull the cover and check the plenum. I plan to install a DIY flow diverter anyway.
    Last edited by Mconner7; 12-18-2020 at 10:27 AM.