User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It has been a few years, but a fellow camper had a home made one using Velcro. He had a long strip across the tube and velcro along the edge of the awning, and tabs down the awning support bracket on the trailer. For the exit in front of the door he overlapped two section by about 3 feet. Downside he had to use a ladder to put it up (went quick) Upside it cam off in a matter of minutes. He just pulled on edge and unsnapped it off everything. I think he said a tent maker put it together for him. He ran the fabric long and used small shot bags where needed to hold the walls in place at the bottom. It was just two sections too. From each trailer wall, out the awning fabric and along the tube and overlapped at the door.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    It has been a few years, but a fellow camper had a home made one using Velcro. He had a long strip across the tube and velcro along the edge of the awning, and tabs down the awning support bracket on the trailer. For the exit in front of the door he overlapped two section by about 3 feet. Downside he had to use a ladder to put it up (went quick) Upside it cam off in a matter of minutes. He just pulled on edge and unsnapped it off everything. I think he said a tent maker put it together for him. He ran the fabric long and used small shot bags where needed to hold the walls in place at the bottom. It was just two sections too. From each trailer wall, out the awning fabric and along the tube and overlapped at the door.

Hope this helps
    That was my thought too... just some mosquito netting that goes around the awning, and then something to cover up between the bottom of the trailer and the ground. If I had ambition, I might invent and market something like that. ;-)
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IME, awning mount rooms are far more trouble than value. We had full add-a-rooms for two campers and just a screen room for the third. With the power awnings on our Solitude, I would not even remotely consider anything more than adding a sunshade. We bought an Undercover canopy (professional/commercial EZ-up) with a full side tent set and full side screen set 12 years ago. Can mix and match tent and screen panels as you wish. Goes up and down and stowed in minutes. Have used it camping, at home for gatherings and for shelter from sun/rain when working on a project, taken it to friends to use, had it as a lake beach shelter, etc. Just a lot more use for the money spent over the awning attached rooms.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    IME, awning mount rooms are far more trouble than value. We had full add-a-rooms for two campers and just a screen room for the third. With the power awnings on our Solitude, I would not even remotely consider anything more than adding a sunshade. We bought an Undercover canopy (professional/commercial EZ-up) with a full side tent set and full side screen set 12 years ago. Can mix and match tent and screen panels as you wish. Goes up and down and stowed in minutes. Have used it camping, at home for gatherings and for shelter from sun/rain when working on a project, taken it to friends to use, had it as a lake beach shelter, etc. Just a lot more use for the money spent over the awning attached rooms.
    I am beginning to think the same thing. The value just isn't there for the cost and effort. Well, I guess next idea would be a standalone screen tent, which we used to have one... but it usually went over the picnic table, which is very uncomfortable to sit at. Maybe the Thermacell would be a more cost-effective bug solution.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    Is there such a thing as mosquito screen that can attach to the awning? Any experiences with either Grand Design or 3rd party products? I am thinking instead of spending money on a portable screen room to cover a picnic table, use that money toward an add-on screen room to extend the usable space of the camper. I am not concerned with weather (rain, cold, etc) protection as much as keeping mosquitos and black flies out.
    We use fans, they work pretty good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee94 View Post
    We use fans, they work pretty good.
    You mean like large floor fans? Hm... interesting idea. The breeze keeps the mosquitoes away?
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    What do you all do about mosquitos then? We are camping near Yellowstone next week and hear the mosquitos are pretty thick there.

I'm a fan of thermacell also. They do a reasonably decent job. If it's really bad I'll use a bit of bug spray.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a canopy with screen attachment (we just leave the screen on and pull it back on one wall). Think it is 12 x 12. Pull it out of the bin, 2 people...just walk it back, it extends, lock in the center and extend the legs. Takes all of 5 min.

An Oscillating fan or 2 works. Mosquitoes are not strong fliers. Do you recall the last time you were chowed on when it was windy? Never happened.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have MosquitoCurtains.com for our home decking - it can attach with Velcro - they will do a custom plan for you, or sell you the fabric and parts. Everything is explained on their website and they have videos as well. We have had it for five years and it is easy to setup and take down - hasn't worn at all - and you can see clearly through it. If you are going to be at the campsite this would be fine, but as others have noted, with the power awnings it may be dicey. But, I can give the company and their product a 100% satisfaction rating! They are based in NC - small family business.
    2020 F-450 Lariat, CrewCab 8' bed, diesel
    2020 Solitude S-series 2930rl-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. We are at Rainbow Point Campground right now and the mosquitos are horrible. You really can't sit outside if the wind is calm. 25+% deet works OK. We're driving around the park most of the time though, thankfully.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast