User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought the two Honda 2000i’s. Still haven’t used them for camping yet, but have used them on remote job sites and a couple of times to plug home refrigerator and freezer into when we lost power from a storm. There are other uses for portables besides just camping. Just something to think about.
    Eric & Sandra
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel 4x4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gone through several combinations. We first had a honda eu3000 which was awesome, gave good power and was quiet but it was a chunk and heavy for one person to lift in and out.

Our next trailer was a toy hauler that had an onan 5500. That was the essence of convenience with push button start and a 30 gallon fuel tank in the back of the trailer. Problem was the off season and maintenance. These units are designed to work and to work regularly. Our area we had to store for the winter cause it was basically snowed in. We had to go to the trailer at least once a month and crank up the genny and run the heaters full bore to give it a workout. The first year we had it we didnt do this and had the carb gum up with fuel. Totally my fault but was still an issue. I was able to get it cleared without a service visit and used the hell out of it for the summer and she ran like a top afterward. The convenience of being able to air-condition lunch at a rest area was the cats meow for sure. We however traded that trailer for our current reflection 28 bh.

The current does not have an on board generator which was not a deal breaker for me but is definitely a change in convenience for sure. Learning from the heavyweight single unit 3000 honda I decided to go with the two 2000s and a parallel kit. The two combined are probably heavier than the 3000 was but individually they are far easier to manouvre in and out of the trailer. As noted before they do take up space, need fuel set up and take down but you have the ability to use one rather than both if you are only charging batteries. Personally I definitely find the two smaller, and parallel kit easier than the bigger 3000. There is one bonus, being able to bring them home in case of power outage as well, which since we store off site we would not be able to do with an on board.

Out of it all I liked the on board a lot and even with the maintenance and exercising needs, I would totally do it again if we changed trailers but we are happy with our current rig and I am good with the setup and take down of the portables.

Mike
    Last edited by ultramafic; 07-31-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNevs View Post
    I wonder how hard it would be to add one of the Onan units

I carry the 2200s and I like them but I am more interested in a self contained unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It wasn't that hard. I purchased most of the necessary hardware from Norwall Power Systems online and wiring/breakers locally. I built the enclosure because I couldn't source one but I bet they can be found. I choose a 3600 for my Reflection for size and am plenty satisfied but I have seen a 5500 in a Reflection. I went with an analog counter on my remote start but would go digital if I had thought about it because i a still quiet interior you can hear the meter ticking. After install I pulled the trailer to my exhaust/muffler guy and he finished up the tail pipe. All in I was around $5,000. I did hire a mobile RV guy to do the wiring because I wanted something rather unique but if you're comfortable with tat stuff it's doable.

The 3600 is a front breather and the 5500 is a bottom breather. If you're installing a 3600 you need to cut a hole in the front compartment door for air but the 5500 can pull air from the floor of the compartment. In either case, make sure the accesses are covered with mesh. I learned the hard way and had some rats take up residence for a short while and make nests inside the generator case!

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is our second fifth wheel with the generator mounted on the back. Wouldn't do it any other way now. Whatever weight you put in the front bay, you loose from the huge basement storage. I think most fifth wheels are more nose heavy than they should be and adding the weight in the back just made sense. (Even though it makes the trailer 2ft longer)

We are going full time soon and the nature of my work means lots of moving (sometimes with zero notice) so having everything packed up and ready to hitch is a must. So on board is also a must have for us.

Now the choice of generator... We use an EU7000. It is lighter than the Onan 5500 (a little heavier with all the mounting stuff) but it is an absolute beast. I can run both AC's, the coffee maker and the microwave. It doesn't even grunt. Fuel consumption is also very good at low loads.

Very happy with the whole system.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to install an Onan QD in my last trailer but it wouldn't fit. Too big for the front storage compartment once the heat shield goes in place. I went with the 7KW gas generator instead and it's powerful and it's quiet. It's also thirsty. Goes through a ton of fuel and the maintenance hours rack up pretty quickly. I found myself using it when I needed both ACs but most of the time I continued using my Honda e3000is. The remote starting from inside the trailer was nice but it comes at a price.

The QD uses a lot less fuel, almost comparable to the smaller inverter generators.

No way I'd ever consider a propane generator, which I believe is what you get with the factory install. You'll suck your 30lb bottles dry overnight.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have a 5500 in my momentum but I try to use it as little as possible as it’s thirsty. I have a champion 3150 which uses 1.5 gallons in 8 hours vs the Onan which does about .75 per hour. Champion also has remote start/stop so no need to go outside either. Does take a little more setup but also means I can boondock longer without filling up my gas tank. Almost need a second 30 gallon tank if I’m going to run the Onan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cost of convince

Portables are cheapest option but require the most work. Stetting then up, using the parallel kit to run two and keeping extra gas cans

5500LP are the next step BUT YOU MUST KNOW!! They are very thirsty and run through a 30lb bottle in 6-10hrs depending on load. So bear in mind you may need to carry extra LP bottles or use it sparingly. You do get the luxury of push button start and stop anytime.

5500 Gas Onan can be thirsty but you also have a much larger capacity tank, you will add some fuel weight to the rig but not a substantial amount. One of the larger inconveniences I found was trying to get the camper into a gas pump (especially at 5:30pm)

6000QD (Quiet Diesel), the most expensive option, the quietest option, the most powerful option, and the easiest option. Fill the trailer at the same pumps as the truck, run time is based of fuel tank size but can get upwards 100hrs on one tank. Not to mention the people around you will notice how quiet it is. Just be prepared for the sticker price

Everyone’s way of camping is a little different and what works for some people may not work best for others. Hope this helps those on the fence!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    This is our second fifth wheel with the generator mounted on the back. Wouldn't do it any other way now. Whatever weight you put in the front bay, you loose from the huge basement storage. I think most fifth wheels are more nose heavy than they should be and adding the weight in the back just made sense. (Even though it makes the trailer 2ft longer)

We are going full time soon and the nature of my work means lots of moving (sometimes with zero notice) so having everything packed up and ready to hitch is a must. So on board is also a must have for us.

Now the choice of generator... We use an EU7000. It is lighter than the Onan 5500 (a little heavier with all the mounting stuff) but it is an absolute beast. I can run both AC's, the coffee maker and the microwave. It doesn't even grunt. Fuel consumption is also very good at low loads.

Very happy with the whole system.
    do you have pictures
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the QD3200 in my Mercedes coach and they are anything but quite, they also stink a lot worse than say a truck or car. Sitting next to a Tiffin Class A that was running his 8K gen, mine was the only thing you could here. Was not a fan of QD.

Matt

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 cents.... I wasted $ on the gen prep option (maybe it’ll help a little on resale value); I have a champion 3500 that works great for us. I can understand how opinions will vary on this topic.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast