User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onboard Generator vs portable?

I hate that the onboard generatory cost almost $5k and weighs over 200 lbs. I like the convenience of the onboard but you can get more and better power with like a dual 3400 watt champion inverter running on parallel. Wondering what peoples thought are on this?
    2019 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel CC SB SRW, payload 3680
    2018 Rockwood Roo 233
    Next Year - Reflection 340RDS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well it's really all about convenience and how you travel. I did the dual 2200 inverters for my previous 2 5th wheels and always loved it. Used only 1 most of the time. BUT, that was when we were still working and most of our trips were from home to point A for a week or so. When we got this trailer we were retiring and we knew we would be doing longer and many stop type trips so I went with an onboard unit. I absolutely LOVE the convenience of getting up in the morning and pushing a button for coffee or the microwave. Or when we are on the road and want to do the same or turn the A/C on for a bit. Nothing better. It is slightly louder than the inverter gennies and uses more fuel, in our case propane, but we knew that going in and have never regretted our decision. Now the ultimate may be adding a 2200 inverter model just for long stay dry camping when the sun isn't plentiful to charge our batteries but we've never really run into that problem.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotime4 View Post
    convenience of the onboard
    This is the ultimate question

I have dual 2500w westinghouses that will run both my airs no problem, but its a pain. Hauling around, refilling, etc. My next unit will almost surely get a onboard. Probably one of my choosing (the QD line) vs whatever the manufacturer offers
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    This is the ultimate question

I have dual 2500w westinghouses that will run both my airs no problem, but its a pain. Hauling around, refilling, etc. My next unit will almost surely get a onboard. Probably one of my choosing (the QD line) vs whatever the manufacturer offers
    Can i ask what you mean by the QD line?
    2018 Rockwood Roo 233

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotime4 View Post
    Can i ask what you mean by the QD line?
    Onan Quiet diesel. vs propane or gas. More efficient, quieter, inverter style (pure sine wave power) but also way more expensive
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Onan Quiet diesel. vs propane or gas. More efficient, quieter, inverter style (pure sine wave power) but also way more expensive
    Thanks for responding
    2018 Rockwood Roo 233

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how hard it would be to add one of the Onan units

I carry the 2200s and I like them but I am more interested in a self contained unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry 2 2000i's. A bit of work setting them up, but really not that big a deal. Don't use them much and generally just one works well unless A/C needed. Lightweight, quiet, can move them around so exhaust doesn't blow back into sitting area outside, dependable.

I've actually used them at some NASCAR tracks in the past and run them for a week without interruption using an external fuel tank. Like I said - dependable and quiet.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For us it's all about the dog! We can stop anywhere, Museums, Walmart, or take a short walk...just crank the gen. turn on air... I suppose we could have a couple of portables, secured with some 1/2" chain and do the same..... Plus after enough people told me not to install it in the front compartment... I just had to.... also for anyone thinking about installing a Onan, There are lots of low time units out there in wrecked or worn out Motor-homes.....
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is us, have had this style for a little over ten years. works well, struggles a little with the 15 k a/c but overall does a great job. i may have to replace as i r
    think it's getting tired and a little noisier than its original condition but $2000. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	generatrotirerack.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	28451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	generatrotirerack.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	28451
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast