Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Minder vs Ford TPMS

I ordered the trailer TPMS option on my 2020 F-250. I liked the idea that it was integrated into the truck's instrument panel so I didn't need to have another display sitting on the dash. When it arrived, I was disappointed to see that it was a wired system that required installing the sensors in the wheels, changing the truck's 7-pin harness and then plugging in for every trip. Also, I don't believe it senses temperature, only pressure like the truck's TPMS. Now I'm wondering If I'd be better off to get the TireMinder i10. It would be easier to install, monitor temperature as well as pressure and continuously display pressure and temp. Your thoughts?
    Bob and Joanne
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS
    2020 F-250, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 7.3 Gas, 4x4
    20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had both and prefer the integrated Ford system for these reasons:
    - No need for a small low-res screen stuck on the windshield and getting in the way of windshield sunscreens
    - No need to run power cable to this windshield mounted screen
    - Displays all tires simultaneously
    - Automotive grade sensors have batteries that last for many years (10?)

I'm not familiar with the TireMinder i10 system. I had the TST-507 system with external sensors. The biggest gripe I have with that system is the fact that you have to watch the screen for a looooong time to see the pressure for all of the tires because it only displays one tire at a time. Yes, you can take your eye off the screen to watch the road but you have to time it so you don't miss a tire otherwise you have to wait for the system to cycle through all the tires again to get back to the one you missed.

If the TireMinder i10 system displays all tires simultaneously, it would be much more useful!

Yes, the Ford system is hard wired. But, it's a super easy install. I'm not sure what you mean about needing to plug in for every trip. You need to plug your trailer in whenever you're towing anyway.

When I'm towing, I'm constantly monitoring the engine, tires, transmission, DPF screen, etc. It's really nice to have the trailer tire pressure information on the same screen.

That's my $.02
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brian.
    Yes, the i10 does display all tires at once.
    Does the Ford system give temperature or just pressure. If just pressure, it that a concern that you're not monitoring temp?
    Bob and Joanne
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS
    2020 F-250, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 7.3 Gas, 4x4
    20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhbery View Post
    Yes, the i10 does display all tires at once. Does the Ford system give temperature or just pressure. If just pressure, it that a concern that you're not monitoring temp?
    The Ford system only displays pressure. I'm all for more information rather than less but all else being equal, I'd rather have tire pressure displayed on my dash than have a stick on screen that shows temps. The fact that the i10 system shows all tire pressures at once is very nice! Way better than the TST-507 system.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a different system and got rid of it because the screen was hard to read and also just wanted to see all pressures with just one glance rather than wait for each tire readout to cycle. So I got the TireMinder I-10. Since my truck had sensors for its tires, I just got the 4 sensor I-10 version for the camper.

I really like the I-10 a lot. Like I said - one glance and I see all the pressures (or temps). I keep it in the camper when not traveling and can turn it on the night before to see the pressures. The only thing to be aware of is that you have to reset it once it is turned off for a while as it retains the previous reading and takes long than I want to wait to get the current reading. "Telling" it to restart only takes a second and within minutes it is up to date with the current readings.

geesh..... I sound like an advertisement..... sorry.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I had a different system and got rid of it because the screen was hard to read and also just wanted to see all pressures with just one glance rather than wait for each tire readout to cycle. So I got the TireMinder I-10. Since my truck had sensors for its tires, I just got the 4 sensor I-10 version for the camper.

I really like the I-10 a lot. Like I said - one glance and I see all the pressures (or temps). I keep it in the camper when not traveling and can turn it on the night before to see the pressures. The only thing to be aware of is that you have to reset it once it is turned off for a while as it retains the previous reading and takes long than I want to wait to get the current reading. "Telling" it to restart only takes a second and within minutes it is up to date with the current readings.

geesh..... I sound like an advertisement..... sorry.....
    Lol, got me interested.
    how often does it refresh when rolling?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Lol, got me interested.
    how often does it refresh when rolling?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    I really can't say how often it refreshes. It keeps up very well with the pressure and temp changes (you know - when starting out until they get warm and stabilize, etc.). It only takes a few minutes to update when I turn it on and tell it to get the current temps/pressures. I wouldn't have another one that requires the tires rolling before they update (had that 2 systems ago). The nice thing, and what drove me to stop using a completely good TPMS, is that it is very easy to read. Having said that, now I need to re-check whether it stays on all the time or goes to sleep until I tap it (I gotta get out on the road - I'm forgetting how stuff works!)
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the Ford tpms system was going to be great till I ran the cost numbers. By the time you buy the system and have someone change the valve stems and install the sensors, it really added up and I didn’t see the value; yes, integrated into the existing display would be nice, but for me not worth that cost; I went with TST 507 and it works fine; the display sits on the forward part of the center console and doesn’t distract the view.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the TireMinder & TST systems. I much prefer the TST-507C. Since I have an F450... it is what I use for the 6 truck tires as well. Yes, it cycles through on the screen and can also hit the arrow for a quicker run-through or to zero in on one tire. The point with an AM solution is you don't have to stare at the screen. They have upper & lower pressure boundaries and an upper temperature boundary that you setup so you don't have to keep looking at it - it will simply let you know when you go out side of those boundaries.
    As far as the taking up space argument - Ford provided that useless dash tray. I've made it work for me by putting in a BuiltRight Industries dash tray mount, 3 ram balls and then ran power to the tray (2-USB & a 12v) from the passthrough wires & an upfitter switch. When on hook... I have the TST, Rear RV camera & Garmin RV GPS mounted on the RAM balls, otherwise just the TST when it is my daily driver.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax