User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, we were more like 20% off MSRP. It is difficult to "negotiate harder" on a product that is flying off the lot !
    I could have gotten 25% or 30% off the other RVs on our short list with similar MSRPs . . . but at the end of the day, we thought the Grand Design was worth the difference. Almost a year later, living essentially "full time" (at least for the winter in Florida) we are even more pleased with our choice than we were when we made the decision.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

The Nomad
    I would suggest forgetting the phone calls and make a face to face visit with a few dealers. When you have a comfort level for one have them put together a document spelling everything out, including all options, services, tax, etc. Then simply let them know you are prepared to write a check at that moment for an amount you are willing to pay. If they agree you will then be a proud owner. If not politely let them know you intend to buy an RV within 3 days and to give you a call if they change their mind. Then simply get up and walk. Always remember you can't be buyer and seller both! Hold your ground and be patient. I guarantee you can find a dealer who would love to order, take delivery, prep., and deliver a new RV without having to floor plan it and have it sitting on the lot waiting for a buyer. There is no such thing "selling like hot cakes" in the RV business.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sentinel, what dealer are you going through, we got ours from River City. Got the same thing on phone and when we looked at them. But when we actually Sat down to talk numbers they knew we were ready to buy, they started talking numbers we liked better than what they quoted on phone and looking at them on lot. Day and half later had deal. But I will say this, buyers from out of state are buying from there, one we had orginally looked at sold before we decided on GD. And that was less than a week. The buyers were from Mississippi. From what I have seen if if they know you are going to buy one, they start working the sale. They get a lot of window shoppers per sa.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sentinel, we got our 337 at about 22% off plus they gave us excellent trade $. Our old TT we had 6 years and they gave us $4,000 less than we paid the same dealer for it. 6 years, 52 trips, 26 states cost me $4,000! I was real happy with that.
    As far as Grand Design being relatively new, I echo the other responses, was a little hesitant to buy in, but would gladly do it all over again.
    Good luck, do some research, and I'm sure you'll be happy with a Reflection.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really try not to talk prices on here, as it just hurts feelings when buyers figure out they may have left something on the table.

All I can say is check with Cape Girardeau, Southaven or even dealers in East Texas to see who's willing to beat the Arkansas dealer's price.

My Reflection trailer had a $60K window sticker, and I paid substantially less that what you're talking. My local dealer was about $8K higher than I paid. I wanted to do business with him, but that's big money difference. If you want to PM me, I can tell you a little more.

droidguru

The Haggle

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    We really try not to talk prices on here, as it just hurts feelings when buyers figure out they may have left something on the table.

All I can say is check with Cape Girardeau, Southaven or even dealers in East Texas to see who's willing to beat the Arkansas dealer's price.

My Reflection trailer had a $60K window sticker, and I paid substantially less that what you're talking. My local dealer was about $8K higher than I paid. I wanted to do business with him, but that's big money difference. If you want to PM me, I can tell you a little more.
    While I understand the need not to talk prices there is a need for it since there is no "True Car" for RV's yet.

People expect it to be exactly like buying a car, and while similar the process is slightly different.

My rule of thumb is try to pit two dealers against one another if possible.
    Shoot for 30% off of MSRP (which you won't get) but that is the initial offer I make.
    Be happy with 20% if you really want it. We were closer to 25% on our 2015. How you ask, well one dealer had a 2014 left over which we were going to buy but the 2015 dealer wouldn't let us off the lot (which was smart since I was honestly going to buy the 2014). They came down to that price and installed a second air conditioner for 1/2 price.

Note: Always negotiate dealer installed add-ons with your purchase you get a much better deal then after the fact.

Lastly I want to make sure everyone here understands, we have three large dealers within an hour of my house so I can drive back and forth all day (face to face makes a difference). That also makes things ultra competitive. So YMMV. (Your Mileage May Vary).

Hope this helps a little.

If all else fails get a written quote from Holman Motors and start there. They had an extraordinary price on the first RV we bought and after my first dealer (who I wouldn't buy from again) trashed them he reluctantly matched their price as I was walking out the door. How do I know this was a good price the dealer gave me the same price I paid when I bought my GD a year later.

Best of luck, I truly hate "the haggle" since I'm a person who knows what I want when I want it and I'm generally fair when you provide fairness in return.

Good Luck.

oldredm3
    on pricing i personally feel 20% discount isn't anywhere enough. I went in to Coachlight in Carthage Mo and looked at a 2015 369RL with Dishwasher. MSRP they had in the rig was $81,110 and told the guy i had to sell my American Eagle first and he sent me a price of $56,000 which i didn't even ask for! this is a tad more than 30%. I plan on offering in the 40's and go from there. i also plan on ordering in winter when they are the slowest.
    So i didn't ask for a price at all and they quickly came off 30% pretty much tells me there may be more room for further discounts..

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sentinel, call Marty Lowan at Coachlight Rv (800-799-7444) in Carthage, MO. When we were shopping, he gave me the best price on a Reflection.

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot of wisdom and common sense in these replies. Our experience was similar in the negotiation phase, and also in the fact we included accessories in the package so the dealer had an opportunity to cover some more profit with more items (Fantastic fans and B and W hitch). One thought I'd like to share- if at all practical, wider your search radius! There are many dealers that truly work on the volume principle and will make what they would call a "skinny deal". We were fortunate that Windish RV has 2 dealerships in the Denver area and they need numbers to keep going. Our discount was in the middle range of the numbers being discussed, and the add-ons were close to the best prices I could find on my own. With Grand Design's dealers committing to give priority service to traveling owners, hometown dealers aren't essential. Find a dealer near a place you want to visit, get a good price, do the deal with the agreement that as you are camping close, any issues that come up will be fixed immediately. Best of luck!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

oldredm3
    I am in the process of working 3 dealers against each other. We will see how that works out. I may wait and make offer but not take delivery untill Jan 2nd that way i have a free year of MO Personal Property Taxes.. :-)
    I do like Coachlight the best but there in Lifestyle RV and a dealer in Wentzville Mo. the guy in Wentzville is real high...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast