User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please Don't Be Impatient (or impulsive).

Please - don't settle for what you don't want.

How many times have we all seen threads where folks:
    wish they had.....
    settled for....
    it was what they had on the lot.....
    the salesman told me.....
    I couldn't find.....

How many times have we seen folks settling for less than what they really wanted and then go looking for help on what to do next?

How many time have we seen folks accept something the dealer screwed up? The wrong color, the wrong windows, the wrong whatever! And then go looking for what to do next?

I just hate to see these threads. I feel bad for folks in these situations. If only folks would take the TiME to get what they want.

Patience. Self control. Pre-planning. Planning ahead. Shopping around. Not willing to settle for less than what one wants. Are all of these traits lost these days?

The other day I suggested getting a 1 ton truck instead of a 3/4 ton truck being purchased after finding out their brand new 1/2 ton wasn't capable of towing what they bought. Most of the responses were..... 'have you tried to find a 1 ton - they are scarce'.... 'that's what the dealers stock'.... 'none near me'.....

This drives me crazy! I feel real bad for folks who accept what is available rather than waiting to get what they want. Especially at the prices we pay for out toys.

And don't blame it on Covid. It has been going on far longer than that

that's it - done venting.... just not sure I feel any better.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points, but there is one that you can't avoid.... "my wife liked this one better..." [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

wish they had.....
    settled for....
    I couldn't find.....

How many times have we seen folks settling for less than what they really wanted and then go looking for help on what to do next?

How many time have we seen folks accept something the dealer screwed up? The wrong color, the wrong windows, the wrong whatever! And then go looking for what to do next?

I just hate to see these threads. I feel bad for folks in these situations. If only folks would take the TiME to get what they want.

Patience. Self control. Pre-planning. Planning ahead. Shopping around. Not willing to settle for less than what one wants. Are all of these traits lost these days?

The other day I suggested getting a 1 ton truck instead of a 3/4 ton truck being purchased after finding out their brand new 1/2 ton wasn't capable of towing what they bought. Most of the responses were..... 'have you tried to find a 1 ton - they are scarce'.... 'that's what the dealers stock'.... 'none near me'.....

This drives me crazy! I feel real bad for folks who accept what is available rather than waiting to get what they want. Especially at the prices we pay for out toys.

Larry, I feel better already. LOL

Thanks for getting that off my chest!

Cheers
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wish they had.....
    settled for....
    I couldn't find.....

We looked for 3 years before getting just the rig we wanted. Biggest reason: we had read that most people purchase 3 RVs before they finally get the one they should have bought in the first place. We didn't want to be those people.

I think the truck took about 3 months before we found it.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 07-30-2020 at 11:10 AM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great points Larry, thanks for posting. I agree 100% as I've done a little of it myself but finally landed with what I really wanted all along. One thing that always gets my goat though is buying something and then the very next model year they make major changes and upgrades that I'll end up paying dearly for. For example, MorRyde IS available at build or 8K axles and disc brakes as an option. Don't even mention the third A/C available now on Solitudes lol! Sheesh I shoulda waited a year lol. Ah well, still love my big toys.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wish they had.....
    settled for....
    I couldn't find.....

I think for many people these types of big ticket purchases become emotional decisions. Auto dealers know this very well and so do RV dealers.
    First you start thinking about it, then you start wanting it, then you need it, then you look at it and you form an emotional bond and have to have it, now. This is where people end up making mistakes and settling for something because it is on the dealer lot, or etc etc.

With big ticket items it’s always better to take the emotion out of the decision making process (which can be difficult to do) and take your time and do your homework. We thought about it and studied and looked for two years before pulling the trigger on the RV and truck.

Once the decision has been made the rest should be purely financial. Well, mostly financial, service etc must also be factored in. If the dealer you are working with doesn’t want to deal or wants to play games, walk away. There are other dealers. When we bought our rv we showed up to close the deal with a check in hand and then they started to play games. They were sure that we had formed an emotional attachment and would still do the deal for $3000 more. We walked, drove 3 hours to another dealer and did the same deal that afternoon.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry, geat advice. We waited until we walked into a trailer and got that "this is it!" feeling. 5 years later we are still happy. But We have toyed with the idea to upgrade by a few feet the past couple years but don't want to go over 38 ft and so far we have not gotten that this is it feeling. A couple come close but not quite close enough so we happily stay in our "this is it" 303.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Great points Larry, thanks for posting. I agree 100% as I've done a little of it myself but finally landed with what I really wanted all along. One thing that always gets my goat though is buying something and then the very next model year they make major changes and upgrades that I'll end up paying dearly for. For example, MorRyde IS available at build or 8K axles and disc brakes as an option. Don't even mention the third A/C available now on Solitudes lol! Sheesh I shoulda waited a year lol. Ah well, still love my big toys.
    haha.... it never fails. You wait to get what you want and the next year they include something you added or still want.

Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Larry, geat advice. We waited until we walked into a trailer and got that "this is it!" feeling. 5 years later we are still happy. But We have toyed with the idea to upgrade by a few feet the past couple years but don't want to go over 38 ft and so far we have not gotten that this is it feeling. A couple come close but not quite close enough so we happily stay in our "this is it" 303.
    That's us too.... we know it when we see it... then the real shopping begins (best price, good dealer)... but it fun looking..
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great points! Emotional decisions and impulse buys get people in trouble. We had a 30' TT for many years and really had fun and great memories with it. Over the years, our interests and lifestyle changed and we needed to go in a different direction to accommodate that change. We had plenty of time as we understood this was a want, not a need. We spent several years researching brands, floor plans, and options. We also wanted to do what was best in our situation financially. Three years later, we finally made the decision to buy (special order actually) what we wanted... No compromise. Part of the decision was if we get this 5th wheel, our truck can handle it, but is that what we want? We decided not settling based on the truck. We ordered the 381 knowing we needed a new truck, that was all part of the final decision.

Looking on line at dealer inventory revealed the truck we wanted/needed was not on any dealer lots nearby. Because my wife works for a large construction company and they have a great relationship with the fleet manager at a local dealership, we contacted him. We told him what we wanted and asked him to find one. He search within 300 miles and found multiple possibilities. We narrowed it down to our top 3 choices let him know. We ended up with our first choice at a dealer 250 miles away. They made the swap and by weeks end we had our truck.

There is a GD dealer literally 3 miles from our house who we used to look at different brands, floor plans, and options. When it came time for the deal, we told them because of all the help they provided, it was their sale to loose. Guess what... They lost! After a stressful round of negotiations that became almost adversarial, we found a dealer 250 miles away who was willing to deal. We agreed on a specific price (27% off less the .gov cut) on a special order with everything we wanted and nothing we didn't. The entire deal was made via phone and email. We never personally met these people until delivery.

Total time from the initial decision to upgrade (although that term is loosely applied, we really enjoyed the old Springdale. We changed, it didn't) including the research, decisions, preparing financially, and ordering took a little over 3 years. 2 years later we are still in awe and very happy with our decision. Planning is everything!

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 07-31-2020 at 11:14 AM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha.... it never fails. You wait to get what you want and the next year they include something you added or still want.

That's us too.... we know it when we see it... then the real shopping begins (best price, good dealer)... but it fun looking..
    Looked at a 310GK in Raleigh last week visiting our daughter. Dealer had a 344GK in their Winston Salem lot so we headed up only to be told it had just sold and we couldn't see it. Drove to Maine Thursday to go in and out of both and 344 looks like the one. Wasn't willing to settle for the one on the lot and they were not price competetive compared to "advertised" prices of other dealers in TN and VA. Looks like an order coming up but darned if I know what options we want yet or where we'll buy it (local GD dealer is terrible). Anyway, got to put 3K miles on the new 3500 Cummins and it was a joy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast