Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2014 Momentum 355TH

Hello all
    New to this forum but not new to rving and toyhauler. I am purchasing a used 2014 355TH Momentum. I’m familiar with a toyhauler and campers overall. I have owned several keystone raptors and fuzions. I have learned a considerable amount of info on the respective keystone forums. So I do have a few questions if anybody could help?
    Anything i need to be looking for specific to 2014 355TH model? Issues? Common problems?
    I’m looking at upsizing the tire from a 215/75 R17.5 to a 235/75 R17.5 Is this going to be an issue?
    Any specific common leak issues with this year and model?
    I actually pick the camper up on Saturday and hoping to get some collective knowledge from this group.
    I will dig in to this forum as we go along and hopefully add a little info or knowledge, but any ideas, suggestions, comments to the above questions would be appreciated as well as any suggestions, ideas, concerns, I haven’t thought about as it refers to 2014,Grand Design, 355TH.
    Last edited by Dmcc625; 07-30-2020 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you are going to a 15 inch rim??

Better check the weight rating if that is what you are thinking.

Also, the rim may not fit over the brake drums.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m sorry I made a typo. I’m wanting to go from a 215/75R17.5 to a 235/75R17.5 .

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmcc625 View Post
    I’m sorry I made a typo. I’m wanting to go from a 215/75R17.5 to a 235/75R17.5 .
    Overall height, and tire clearance, both between tires, and to the top of the wheelwell..... I have upsized tires sucessfully on 2 of my TTs in the past.
    But they were smaller than what the momentums are, so the clearances were workable. Not sure about your models specs.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m (almost) positive that the 17.5 inch tires are already an upgrade that the previous owner installed. With that being said and not knowing the brand of the tires you have, they are probably rated over 4000 lbs. That would be way more than the original tires that came with that model. Going to a 235 from a 215 could/might give you clearance issues. Not sure you would be gaining that much more weight rating moving a 235 tire. I am also assuming the axles have not been upgraded from the original 7K axles.

If the current tires are in good shape I would leave it alone and save the money. Saved money would be better spent on disc brakes. Just my 2 cents worth and good luck with your new toy hauler. Welcome to the forum.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad. I just google that model and apparently it did come with 17.5 tires. Learn something every day.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. You are right about the axles still being 7K and and original tires being I believe 4800Lb rated. I am buying new tires as the tires on it are original and need replaced. Can do the 235 vs 215 for close to same money. The tires will be Sailun tires. I’ve looked at the comparison between the 2 sizes and it looks like 235 is approximately 1” wider and 1” taller. So this would mean 1/2” all the way around and my thought was if the 235 will fit and not be an issue, then why not build in a bigger safety margin?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmcc625 View Post
    Thanks for the info. You are right about the axles still being 7K and and original tires being I believe 4800Lb rated. I am buying new tires as the tires on it are original and need replaced. Can do the 235 vs 215 for close to same money. The tires will be Sailun tires. I’ve looked at the comparison between the 2 sizes and it looks like 235 is approximately 1” wider and 1” taller. So this would mean 1/2” all the way around and my thought was if the 235 will fit and not be an issue, then why not build in a bigger safety margin?
    If there are no clearance problems then go with what you want. You won't go wrong with the Sailuns. Good Luck.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check brakes and bearings. They were using oily grease and many (probably most) had leaking bearing seals and contaminated brakes. A 2014 trailer should have had bearing and brake service many times by now but there are lots of folks out there that never or rarely check/service suspension, brakes, bearings. Enjoy!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info...I do almost all my own maintenance and upkeep. Will most definitely be checking bearings, brakes, suspension and other critical areas. Thanks and keep the ideas coming...