User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheel hitch support

We are new to 5th wheels. Previously owned motorhomes. Opinions on the 5th wheel hitch supports that i have seen? Are they worth the money

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have one of the KingPin supports. We like it a lot. The 5th wheel is hanging out there a ways from the leveling feet, there is sway. There is no issue with a pair of bodies in the bed, the frame is super strong there as it holds up the entire trailer when running down the road, but it does have some give.

A lot of people try to reduce the movement by blocking up the leveling feet as high as they can to avoid movement, but we find that the cheap 3-legged chain-around-the-legs simple screw on the KingPin is great and dampens out nearly all of the movement even if the couple is "Wrassling" up in the bed.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the search function, you'll find dozens of threads on this. Use terms like "kingpin" and "tripod" and "stabilizer." You're not actually supporting the hitch, which is in the truck - you're stabilizing the kingpin on the trailer.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will get mix reviews on this, I have one but along with the JT's Strongarm, and tires chocks, and I can tell you it with all of those it about 80% rock solid.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thepotters View Post
    We are new to 5th wheels. Previously owned motorhomes. Opinions on the 5th wheel hitch supports that i have seen? Are they worth the money
    As others have said, you'll get very mixed answers, even polarized answers, to this question but the majority by far are on the "don't bother with it" side. In one or two of the many threads about this I've posted that we don't have a kingpin stand and haven't ever felt the need for one.

We typically have 3-5 blocks of pressure-treated 2" X 12" X 12" wood blocks under our front jacks and a couple under each of our rear jacks. These do keep the jacks' extension a few inches bit shorter and therefore constrain movement in the trailer. I'm a really big heavy guy, but neither my wife or I ever notice the trailer moving around when we're moving around inside it.

We have the blocks foremost to improve the footing for our jacks; the extra stability is a bonus. Very cheap to buy. I'd suggest you start that way and determine if you really need the extra cost, extra load in your basement, and extra setup task that the kingpin stand will bring.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have a tripod but did put the Steadyfast system on my previous 5er and immediately put them on my current 5er. I haven’t tried the others because i believe we have removed more than 95% of the movement in the trailer with the Steadyfast system. Not saying the others aren’t great also, i can just 100% vouch for the Steadyfast system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the tripod because we have a washer & dryer installed. It's a big difference in sway when doing laundry without the tripod installed. Yes it's an extra step in setup and tear down, but well worth the extra couple minutes.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eli have a washer and dryer also and the tripod help a lot along with my JT,s Strongarm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We Don't Leave Home Without It

We have used one for 3 years. I think it helps stabilize the camper.
    2019 F350 Lariat Super Duty 6.7L Diesel SRW 4X4 with puck system
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had three varied size fifth wheelers. We used the tripod on two of them. It defini6gave stability. Now we have gone small and concise with a 17k Imagine. We have a kingpin on the for sale site in case your interested.
    TimandDi
    2019 Imagine 17 MKE
    2019 GMC 350 SRW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast