Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

AIR bags on trailer

Ha anyone ever heard of air bags on trailer suspension to limit travel a few inches or reduce bounce? Just curious
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Limiting travel will make the ride rougher on the equipment. As long as the trailer isn’t rolling so much it causes steering or stability problems adding anything to the suspension that slows or reduces travel will make for a rougher ride for the trailer.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few weeks ago I posted 20% off on trailer Sumo springs in Mods & DIY. I ordered a set that I plan on installing this week. Here is a 15% off code } F53BETTER { if you want to go that route.
    I don't see airbags being a help and I'm not a fan of them in general. I looked into shocks but nothing really fits or is affordable for a smaller trailer like mine. I figure the price of admission isn't that steep with these and if they help calm the bounce as others claim then I'm ahead.
    https://www.supersprings.com/2018/11...sion-solution/
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 08-03-2020 at 11:12 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    A few weeks ago I posted 20% off on trailer Sumo springs in Mods & DIY. I ordered a set that I plan on installing this week. Here is a 15% off code } F53BETTER { if you want to go that route.
    I don't see airbags being a help and I'm not a fan of them in general. I looked into shocks but nothing really fits or is affordable for a smaller trailer like mine. I figure the price of admission isn't that steep with these and if they help calm the bounce as others claim then I'm ahead.
    https://www.supersprings.com/2018/11...sion-solution/
    Essentially they are polymer "airbags" that you can not depressurize for when your not towing. And yes, they will inhibit freedom of motion in the suspension and will promote harshness in the trailer chassis. At least airbags are able to be disabled by removing the air and leave the user with almost a completely factory ride when not hauling the loads that would need the assistance.

My opinion is that I would go with air over the so-called super springs every day of the week and twice on Sundays. But alas, we are all free and encouraged to have differing views. That is why so many choices exist.
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer