User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decent grease gun.

We are preparing to head out on a 2 month cross country trip... when things ease up with the virus. Anyhow, I have had multiple grease guns in my years and have never had one that doesn't leak when it gets hot. I don't want grease all over the place.

Can you guys recommend a grease gun that won't leak when the temps go up? I don't want to have to sleep in the truck for two months because I got grease all over the pass-thru on mama's fifth wheel!

Thanks for any suggestions.
    2011Chevy Silverado 6.0 2500HD
    2020.5 (White) Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just figured that's the reason they give you plastic bags when you shop. I have a new, as yet unused, OTC air powered grease gun. Now you mentioned it, I'd be curious if that stays tight.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same here - I just carry it in a plastic bag or wrap a clean rag around it.

I can recommend this tip though. You won't have to struggle to get grease into those wet bolts on your axels. You did put on wet bolts - right?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get this. It's not perfect, but it's as good as I've ever found for avoiding grease all over (because the tip is always attached to a zerk) and it also has the Lock and Lube tip; which as someone else said, is awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MK5FW26...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased an OTC brand grease gun and have been pleased with it. Much better than cheap grease guns. Also has the one hand squeeze handle making it easier to use.

Another thing I have done is switch grease. I was indoctrinated by everyone to believe you needed to use the “red” tacky kind of grease. All of these will leak all over everything when they sit around in a hot climate. I used to use the Lucus brand Red Tacky and this is recognized as a quality grease. I made the switch to Lucus Green grease and have been pleased with it. The great thing is that I no longer have grease leaking all over everything. Now when I pick up the grease gun I no longer longer have grease on it making it easier to use.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Get this. It's not perfect, but it's as good as I've ever found for avoiding grease all over (because the tip is always attached to a zerk) and it also has the Lock and Lube tip; which as someone else said, is awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MK5FW26...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    I second the Lock N Lube grease gun and tip. Bought it directly from manufacturer with 20% off if you sign up for their newsletter.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTraveler View Post
    We are preparing to head out on a 2 month cross country trip... when things ease up with the virus. Anyhow, I have had multiple grease guns in my years and have never had one that doesn't leak when it gets hot. I don't want grease all over the place.

Can you guys recommend a grease gun that won't leak when the temps go up? I don't want to have to sleep in the truck for two months because I got grease all over the pass-thru on mama's fifth wheel!

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Do not get anything with less than 10K pressure - 12K better. They will have a long handle on them. LockNLube carry's a 10K one. Check around as they do go on sale now and then. Also LNL has a place to hook the hose end when not in use - keeps things cleaner. Look for that feature on others. Also double check you grease requirements and make sure the tub you get meets the specifications - I am finding more and more don't meet all requirements (off brands)
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar