User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Down sizing to a rig with electric vs Hydraulic leveling.

Hello all,

After realizing how overloaded we are with our 2500 HD Duramax, towing a Solitude 310 GK, we're considering downsizing to a Reflection 260 RD.

Does anyone have experience with both? How well does the Electric leveling work vs Hydraulic?

Any other considerations would be helpful.

I would appreciate any input you have.

Thanks, Bob

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a recent thread on electric vs. hydraulic - you could use the search function and find it.

Our previous fiver was a Reflection with an electric system (though not auto-leveling on our early 2016 model) and I always yearned for hydraulic. Experience with the hydraulics on our Solitude, reading that previous thread, and talking with my brother-in-law (has a Reflection with electric auto-leveling) has caused me to adjust my position. The bottom line is they both work (my BIL is the rugged type and he sees it as a luxury, but thinks it's "handy"). The hydraulic systems may be faster, but they are a bit more prone to issues and are much more difficult (and expensive out of warranty) to repair. The hydraulic system on our new Solitude also does the popping thing in the mornings and evenings with temperature changes, despite adding the CAT hydraulic fluid additive. I would not have any problems at all going from the hydraulic system back to an electric system.

All that said... if you bought your 310 new, you'll take a big hit on depreciation selling or trading it. Why not put that money into a 1-ton truck? There are single rear wheel 3500s and F350s that, if properly equipped and optioned, are capable of handling the 310 (though I would want a dually for anything heavier than the 310).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    I'm having trouble making up my mind. Since we love our 310, I probably will go with a 1 ton.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Bob