Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RV Length

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    What truck are you going to use to pull the trailer? Newbie Mistake is not having enough truck.
    We’ll be buying at least a 350/3500, still debating SRW vs DRW as the truck will also serve as my primary running around town vehicles.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have triplet 9 yr old boys and the Reflection 28bh is perfect for our needs. It’s about 34’ long. It’s not so long that I’ve ever had an issue getting into a site. We did stay in one place in Okanagen, B.C., that was a very short site with narrow as heck aisles. Our trailer barely fit the pad and leaving was even trickier because I had to make a super tight turn. I was glad to have my tight turning F450 that

I'm not going to discourage anyone from getting a smaller RV, but I do think that smaller and lighter are easier in many ways. It’s tough to resist the urge to pack so much stuff on trips. It’s an art and a science bringing “just enough”. Honestly if there were a ruggedized, relatively short fifth wheel that was built like the Black Series travel trailers, and had the room for a triple bunk, I’d be all over it.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post
    We’ll be buying at least a 350/3500, still debating SRW vs DRW as the truck will also serve as my primary running around town vehicles.
    People are probably sick of hearing me say this, but.. There are really too many options in pickup trucks! And the 350DRW is one of those "too many options" vehicles. If you wind up with a dually, get a 450. I drove both, back to back, and I couldn't tell you any difference between a 350DRW and 450 in the driving experience. But there ARE differences, and they are pretty important for towing an RV. First, a 450 has 19.5" tires, those are commercial tires, they are built to live a life with tremendous load on them. They last a LONG time, even when hauling frequently. And the other big difference, perhaps even bigger for RV towing, is the 450 has a wide track front end. Simple version, it turns much faster, in a smaller space, than a 350. It doesn't seem like that would matter, but, day to day, it does, a lot. These pickups are big, and the faster you can turn, the easier you can park it at Walmart, the better you can take tight turns and the faster you can crank it over to park your RV or get out of a tight spot.

The 350DRW is a good tuck, and if there was a 5K price difference between them, I'd say "The 450 is better, but if you can't afford it, the 350 is fine", but there isn't. Going to a 450 from a 350 is peanuts in cost, I got some quotes for my 450 that were cheaper than a 350DRW (same equipment) and some that were higher. Wound up spending about 800 bucks more on the 450 compared the best price I could get on a 350DRW. You'll save that in the first 3 years on tires. And in the meantime, you'll get a better hauling machine with tires that are "built for it" (carrying heavy weight all day), better brakes, and better turning.

The trucks really should simplify to this: 150, 350SRW, 450. The 250 is only there to best taxes/regulations, and the 350DRW is there, well.. I don't know why, perhaps to be the "payload king" (the 350DRW has more payload than a 450 because they are both limited to 14K GVWR; like the 250, to beat regulations; so, on paper, the 350DRW is the payload king, but that number is make believe because the 450 is "class limited"; in reality, it can haul more)? Too many options!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post
    Don’t make the mistake and buy a SRW, You WILL need a DRW for a 380FL. Advertised pin weight for a 380FL is 3000 lbs but that is without propane, batteries or anything in the trailer. When loaded for travel it will be close to 4000 lbs. After installing 5th wheel hitch, driver, passengers etc you will need close to 5000 lbs of payload.

Don’t rely on truck manufacture’s advertised payloads. Those payloads are for stripped down base model trucks without any options. Look at the actual yellow door tire and loading sticker on the truck you are considering to buy.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Don’t make the mistake and buy a SRW, You WILL need a DRW for a 380FL. Advertised pin weight for a 380FL is 3000 lbs but that is without propane, batteries or anything in the trailer. When loaded for travel it will be close to 4000 lbs. After installing 5th wheel hitch, driver, passengers etc you will need close to 5000 lbs of payload.

Don’t rely on truck manufacture’s advertised payloads. Those payloads are for stripped down base model trucks without any options. Look at the actual yellow door tire and loading sticker on the truck you are considering to buy.
    Thought I'd reply since a member asked me privately, but thought this might be helpful for the group, my 2019 F450 King Ranch has a payload of 4648lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F450 Payload.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	28583

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2017 F450 Platinum came with the Ford/Reese hitch and has a yellow sticker of about 200 more lbs. The more options you have the lower the remaining available payload.

Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Thought I'd reply since a member asked me privately, but thought this might be helpful for the group, my 2019 F450 King Ranch has a payload of 4648lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F450 Payload.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	28583
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a newbie compared to the rest here, but my tow behind is 36'11". Factoring in the hitch, etc., my OAL is probably similar to a 40'+ 5th wheel. I think the advice above on planning was really good - I am pretty meticulous about planning the route beforehand. That may change with more experience, but generally speaking I know exactly where I am going. If that is not your thing and you want to fly by the seat of your pants, a shorter rig may be the ticket. I would have preferred something a hair shorter but once the wife falls in love with a floorplan...

Matt & Michelle
    Tennessee
    2021 Imagine 3250BH
    2020 Ford F250 6.7L

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best of luck on your search and welcome to the RV family. Lots of good comments from folks here who know, been there done that kind of experience is hard to beat. Most BC provincial parks have issues with anything much over 30 feet, the parks were designed in a different era.

I suggest you do some detailed research on units like the 380FL. Check for comments on cargo capacity. With just under 2000 pounds of CCC (difference between GVWR and Unloaded Vehicle weight, there is only about 1700 pounds for your “stuff” after you consider propane, battery and even 25 gallons of fresh water (12 in the water heater and 13 in the fresh tank). if you fill the fresh tank, that 1700 is now about 1100 pounds. Given the cavernous storage on the 380FL, unless you are packing Styrofoam, you will be overloading the 14000 axles. Go into the process with your eyes open.
    Think about what you will be taking and how much it might weigh. Good luck on your search.
    Last edited by Skiddy; 08-06-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had 16 rv’s over 40 years. We just bought a 2020 solitude s 2930 trading a 41 ft Montana. Long is not everything. The 2930 gives you the large “main” room and a good size bathroom. Only downside is with the North South bed having a king was going to be an issue so we had to settle for a queen. That is working just fine. Really examine all before you buy. Also, as you said you are sometimes limited when choosing campsites with a larger unit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greische View Post
    We have had 16 rv’s over 40 years. We just bought a 2020 solitude s 2930 trading a 41 ft Montana. Long is not everything. The 2930 gives you the large “main” room and a good size bathroom. Only downside is with the North South bed having a king was going to be an issue so we had to settle for a queen. That is working just fine. Really examine all before you buy. Also, as you said you are sometimes limited when choosing campsites with a larger unit
    This is great info from a seasoned RVer. The 2930 is shorter and about 1000 pounds lighter with about 75% more CCC than a 380FL. Both use the same 7000 pound axles. The 380 has a fantastic floor plan, but is really under “suspensioned” in my opinion.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast