User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RV Length

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 28' bumper pull with a single slide and hated it. Swapped to a 38' fifth with 4 slides and love it.

Just ask any woman, size does matter and bigger is better!

If I were to go back to a bumper pull, it would be after my son was done with us in about 3 years (driving/working/chicks) and I could do a 28-32 foot bumper pull with dual opposing slides on a rear living, a kitchen slide and an east/west bed with a slide up front. And it will all likely end up being longer than my 38' fifth.

I want big, spacious, separation between my wife who sleeps in and me who gets up at 0500-0600 no matter what.
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled the same Layton 38 foot travel trailer for 25 years. That was back when they were MUCH closer to the ground. I had to put industrial steel wheels on the back to keep from ripping the jacks off anytime we went in or out of a parking lot ramp! Let me also admit that the when I pulled our brand-new our Layton home from the dealer I stopped in a large parking lot to adjust the leveling bars, with the door-side rear end right next to a large dumpster. Can you guess what happened? Leaving, I made an immediate sharp turn to exit the lot. The next day we saw the where the dumpster broke the fiberglass in the door and ripped the sheet metal behind the door. Heartbreaking! After that I found that I could not make a right turn at an intersection if there was a car in the second lane because of the back end swinging out.

Now we have our second 5er, a 42.5 foot Solitude 379FL. It is a blessing to pull in every respect except for it being twice as heavy as the Layton. Being a 5er, It is much better to cheat into the left lane before a right turn if it is onto a one-lane road. Instead of the back end swerving out, the 5er wheels cut the corner so much. It is not possible to make a clean turn from a right lane into a right lane. My 5er will be up over the curb and up on the sidewalk. A right turn with our Solitude requires either a left lane start of the turn or a left lane to turn into.

All of this being said... No one could convince me to go back to a travel trailer. With the Solitude, as Clint said, "A man has to know his limitations". Once you know and understand the limitations of pulling your 5er and really try to "not" get into situations you cannot control (like driving into a place with nowhere to turn around), then you will enjoy the experience much more!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, within reason shorter is better. We're in a 303RLS which is on the shorter side at 33'. Our previous 5er was 38', and there is a noticeable difference. Everything we do is easier - fit into tighter spaces, less tail swing and generally easier on the road too. I believe the trade-off of a little space for a nimbler vehicle is well worth it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any direct experience yet as I'm still waiting on my unit to be delivered but for me the decision ultimately came down to what I "need". Need is a loose term, haha.

I ordered a 381M which I believe is 42' 9". Would I have wanted a shorter trailer? Sure, opens up easier access to some places, some which would be required to be shorter. But I plan on bring my X3 side by side which is 11' long alone so I needed the 15' garage. I don't regret my decision at all but it will be nice to have an excellent living space with enough garage space for toys as well. If I didn't have the X3, I would for sure look at something slightly shorter if it were just bikes/snowmobiles or something shorter.
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234