User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RV Length

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, as info, even with this being our 16th rv including motorhomes and 3 5ers, my wife says she feels more at home in this trailer than any other rv we have owned

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone assist me why my signature is all of a sudden not showing?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post
    We’ll be buying at least a 350/3500, still debating SRW vs DRW as the truck will also serve as my primary running around town vehicles.
    We bought our truck first, though we new which coach we wanted. Just to give you an idea of fuel economy: 2020 Ram 3500 DRW w/Cummins HO and Aisin tranny, we average 12mpg without a 5th wheel load. Most of the driving to date is city driving.

YMMV, but that should give you jumping off point.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bottom line is the longer your RV the fewer places there are you can stay. It also effects the routes you can take. I live in California and on a recent trip to Death Valley we took hwy 395 to Lone Pine and then east to Death Valley. Along the route the road was narrow and there were a few hair pin turns and steep drop offs. Not saying you couldn't do it with your proposed rig but I did note that on two different round trips along that route we never saw a 18 wheeler. Going a different route would have added 100 miles to the trip and since I haven't been on that route I can't say if it was any better.

There are numerous YouTube videos by people with triple axle rigs and how they cope. Seems like they often park many miles from the place they want to visit, drop the trailer and then drive many miles to their destination. So as has already been said it depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. You can still visit anywhere but it might not be as convenient as it would be with a smaller rig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems getting in any spots so far with our previous 39' toyhauler or our 41' Solitude. Some older parks were not designed for today's longer campers and trucks but I take it as a challenge to try to get in them without causing any damage! Lucky I drove trucks years ago in a lot tighter delivery locations..sometimes at night with no help to back in. Our rig is 58'-6" from bumper to bumper so its not too bad.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    This is great info from a seasoned RVer. The 2930 is shorter and about 1000 pounds lighter with about 75% more CCC than a 380FL. Both use the same 7000 pound axles. The 380 has a fantastic floor plan, but is really under “suspensioned” in my opinion.
    the 2930 or the 310 will be our next upgrade in about 5 years or so. Currently own a 337. Drop frame and wider width in the solitude line will be enough of an upgrade for us.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't had any issues finding spots to park our rig. We do try to find campgrounds with large pull through spots, while on the road, just because it makes it easier in and out for a night. Long term (3-7 nights) we don't care.

We have a DRW, and would suggest you don't even consider anything else. We have the tow package, so have 4:10 rears gears. We average 14 or so without the trailer, and 8.4 with.

You are looking at a heavy trailer, so get the proper tool for the job......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Door Label.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	28660
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the "shorter is better" camp. My obsession is finding the most ideal campsite. The goal is always to have only one neighbor and a view from the rear and door side (where nearly all of the windows are) of our trailer. It doesn't always work out but the smaller the rig, the better your odds of finding a spot that's just right. I feel like we sacrificed nothing in the kitchen/living area of our 303 but definitely traded away some room in the bedroom and bathroom. That's fine with me, I don't spend a ton of time hanging out in those parts of the trailer. My goal was to stay under 35' actual length. Our overall length is just a hair over 50 feet as compared to the 58 foot length when towing our previous 35' bumper pull. After a year and a half, we don't regret our choice one bit.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

380FLR and F450.

Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    People are probably sick of hearing me say this, but.. There are really too many options in pickup trucks! And the 350DRW is one of those "too many options" vehicles. If you wind up with a dually, get a 450. I drove both, back to back, and I couldn't tell you any difference between a 350DRW and 450 in the driving experience. But there ARE differences, and they are pretty important for towing an RV. First, a 450 has 19.5" tires, those are commercial tires, they are built to live a life with tremendous load on them. They last a LONG time, even when hauling frequently. And the other big difference, perhaps even bigger for RV towing, is the 450 has a wide track front end. Simple version, it turns much faster, in a smaller space, than a 350. It doesn't seem like that would matter, but, day to day, it does, a lot. These pickups are big, and the faster you can turn, the easier you can park it at Walmart, the better you can take tight turns and the faster you can crank it over to park your RV or get out of a tight spot.

The 350DRW is a good tuck, and if there was a 5K price difference between them, I'd say "The 450 is better, but if you can't afford it, the 350 is fine", but there isn't. Going to a 450 from a 350 is peanuts in cost, I got some quotes for my 450 that were cheaper than a 350DRW (same equipment) and some that were higher. Wound up spending about 800 bucks more on the 450 compared the best price I could get on a 350DRW. You'll save that in the first 3 years on tires. And in the meantime, you'll get a better hauling machine with tires that are "built for it" (carrying heavy weight all day), better brakes, and better turning.

The trucks really should simplify to this: 150, 350SRW, 450. The 250 is only there to best taxes/regulations, and the 350DRW is there, well.. I don't know why, perhaps to be the "payload king" (the 350DRW has more payload than a 450 because they are both limited to 14K GVWR; like the 250, to beat regulations; so, on paper, the 350DRW is the payload king, but that number is make believe because the 450 is "class limited"; in reality, it can haul more)? Too many options!
    We just picked up our 2021 380FLR and a new 2020 F450. Towed from Washington state down the Oregon coast last week. Pulled the tailer beautifully. Wife and I and three kids. Love the floor plan and the build quality. The residential stove and oven as well as the fridge are very nice and of good quality..

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solitude 369rl with a 3500 dually long bed. Unable to stay at some places but the extra room is worth it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast