User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    The tire blow and “idiot” scenarios would never happen with modern propane bottles as the valves would close with the sudden drop in pressure.
    Never knew that the new bottles would do that! Just to be clear though - we always travel with the fridge on, and have for more than 15 years.
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 08-08-2020 at 10:03 AM.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    The tire blow and “idiot” scenarios would never happen with modern propane bottles as the valves would close with the sudden drop in pressure.
    And the propane that's already in the line between the bottle and the fridge - what happens to that? There's no chance of sparking it?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    And the propane that's already in the line between the bottle and the fridge - what happens to that? There's no chance of sparking it?
    The amount of gas in the line would be negligible.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 years ago...maybe longer, it was all about not running gas while driving because your could cause an explosion while gassing up.

I equate this whole “fridge running on gas while driving” resistance to turning your cell phone off during decent in an airplane cause you might cause it to crash.

Too many nanny’s trying to come up with rules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookjunkie View Post
    We’re very new to RVing. We’ve had our rig since late June and we were told not to run the fridge on propane while moving. Everyone we’ve talked to leaves theirs on. It would sure be more convenient if we left it going. What do you all do?
    I leave mine on, but that is illegal in a lot of states. I also have a valve on my gas tank that will close off the tank if a line is cut.
    Last edited by Malco1; 08-08-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    What are the manufacturer's reason for recommending against running with fridge on propane?

In the past I've always kept fridge on when traveling. I really should start turning off when fueling. Also, running when trailer is really off level can't be good for them. Lot's of times at rest stops I probably should turn off.
    I really don't know the real reason, most likely because propane is explosive. We always travel with the fridge on but do turn it off for tunnels requiring so.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many taxis and small commercial vehicles (delivery trucks, etc.) use propane fuel. Do they have to turn their propane off while travelling? ...........I'm just saying.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raybbj View Post
    Many taxis and small commercial vehicles (delivery trucks, etc.) use propane fuel. Do they have to turn their propane off while travelling? ...........I'm just saying.
    No they don’t, because the propane system is engineered to be used as the fuel to power the vehicle. Open propane valves are illegal in many jurisdictions, all of Canada infact. A crimped line could allow gas to escape without triggering the sudden surge protection. Ferries ensure you shut off all valves.

The manufacturers protect themselves and suggest only opening valves when parked as to suggest otherwise would be irresponsible and possibly illegal.

As most of us do not buy units with three way fridges, AC, 12V DC and propane, the only alternative is to power on propane while driving. Very few RVs have inverters to run the fridge.
    Like many here, I sometimes run with propane on, depending on outside temps and the duration of the dive. Anything under four hours, the fridge is off. If we stop, usually half hour or so, i turn the gas on to let it chill a bit.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    ...Open propane valves are illegal in many jurisdictions, all of Canada in fact. A crimped line could allow gas to escape without triggering the sudden surge protection. Ferries ensure you shut off all valves.

#1 reason we installed an inverter. We had plans for this summer to be traveling in Canada, with a group, and the plans included 2 ferry trips, one overnight. Didn't want to end up with spoiled food. A bit moot now, however.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    #1 reason we installed an inverter. We had plans for this summer to be traveling in Canada, with a group, and the plans included 2 ferry trips, one overnight. Didn't want to end up with spoiled food. A bit moot now, however.
    Years ago had a Bonair tent trailer with a little 2 cubic foot fridge, it worked on either 12V DC or propane. Made it easy to travel with fridge on, use propane at campsite. Most provincial/state parks back then did not have power. Once many parks went modern with AC power, the 12V DC option seemes to have disappeared.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast