User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaving fridge on while driving

We’re very new to RVing. We’ve had our rig since late June and we were told not to run the fridge on propane while moving. Everyone we’ve talked to leaves theirs on. It would sure be more convenient if we left it going. What do you all do?
    Al and Lee
    2020 Dodge Ram Big Horn 2500
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookjunkie View Post
    We’re very new to RVing. We’ve had our rig since late June and we were told not to run the fridge on propane while moving. Everyone we’ve talked to leaves theirs on. It would sure be more convenient if we left it going. What do you all do?
    We always leave ours on and running on propane when we are towing. Have been doing that for 16 years of pulling a trailer. I think nearly everyone does leave theirs on.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me grab my fishin pole ! Someone just opened up a can of worms ! LOL

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find many do run down the road with the fridge on propane. Manufacturers don't reccomend it . (we do run the fridge while traveling) There is always a small chance the flame will get blown out from wind forces. Our old camper used to get blown out on occasion. If you choose to run it on propane check it at every stop to see if it is still on if it goes out often look for alternate ways to cool your food.

Propane is not allowed in many tunnels , don't ignore that . Also turn off when near gas pumps (guilty - we don't turn off the fridge while gassing up)
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the search function at the top right and look for "food safety." There have been too many threads to count on the topic of leaving the fridge on (most people do), but there are a couple of good threads that approach it from a food safety perspective and one of the members did some experiments with data. It's good information and interesting reading. The search function is your friend.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookjunkie View Post
    We typically travel with propane running the fridge. But, now, we have an inverter and lithium batteries. So that's what we're going to use.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    You'll find many do run down the road with the fridge on propane. Manufacturers don't reccomend it . (we do run the fridge while traveling) There is always a small chance the flame will get blown out from wind forces. Our old camper used to get blown out on occasion. If you choose to run it on propane check it at every stop to see if it is still on if it goes out often look for alternate ways to cool your food.

Propane is not allowed in many tunnels , don't ignore that . Also turn off when near gas pumps (guilty - we don't turn off the fridge while gassing up)
    What are the manufacturer's reason for recommending against running with fridge on propane?

In the past I've always kept fridge on when traveling. I really should start turning off when fueling. Also, running when trailer is really off level can't be good for them. Lot's of times at rest stops I probably should turn off.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    What are the manufacturer's reason for recommending against running with fridge on propane?

In the past I've always kept fridge on when traveling. I really should start turning off when fueling. Also, running when trailer is really off level can't be good for them. Lot's of times at rest stops I probably should turn off.
    The biggest arguments against:
    if a tire blows on the side where the propane line is, it could damage it, causing a fire.
    The movement of propane within the line can possibly create a momentary surge of pressure forcing more propane into the system than it needs creating a flareup.
    if you're traveling through hilly/mountains the fridge may not be level. the camper will need be level for the fridge to work its best. If the camper is off level two things can happen. First the flame does not contact the boiler as directly, causing the ammonia solution to not boil as much. The second is the system requires gravity to work. While the camper is not level the liquids will flow slower, causing backups in the cycle.
    Some idiot runs into the side of the trailer, causing a fire.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At my new owner orientation this week, I was told the reason to shut the propane valves is liability. If you get in an accident and there is a fire with propane involved, you would be liable for the whole scene if your valves are found to be open. News to me...

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    The biggest arguments against:
    if a tire blows on the side where the propane line is, it could damage it, causing a fire.
    The movement of propane within the line can possibly create a momentary surge of pressure forcing more propane into the system than it needs creating a flareup.
    if you're traveling through hilly/mountains the fridge may not be level. the camper will need be level for the fridge to work its best. If the camper is off level two things can happen. First the flame does not contact the boiler as directly, causing the ammonia solution to not boil as much. The second is the system requires gravity to work. While the camper is not level the liquids will flow slower, causing backups in the cycle.
    Some idiot runs into the side of the trailer, causing a fire.
    The tire blow and “idiot” scenarios would never happen with modern propane bottles as the valves would close with the sudden drop in pressure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast