User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing my china bombs with Goodyear Endurance

I have some Westlake that were purchased with the RV in May. I am about to take trip up north in October. I know these Westlakes are a new tire and I have warranty on them all all that jazz, but my friends and others have had bad experiences with China bomb tires. I am thinking of purchasing the Goodyear Endurance which I hear really good reviews on. Right now I have the 225/75R16 tire. I was thinking up going up to the 235/80R16 tire for a little more beef in the tire. I am running 295rl about 10,000 lbs. Any thoughts on upgrading the tire a bit? Any affect on the RV going up a slot on the tires?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you used the search function on the forum? There are dozens - if not hundreds - of threads on this topic. As for increasing the size of the tire, GD RVs are designed for 4" of clearance between the tire and the underside of the trailer. I would be concerned about reducing that without raising the trailer on the suspension in some way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Have you used the search function on the forum? There are dozens - if not hundreds - of threads on this topic. As for increasing the size of the tire, GD RVs are designed for 4" of clearance between the tire and the underside of the trailer. I would be concerned about reducing that without raising the trailer on the suspension in some way.

Rob
    Thanks Rob

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    I have some Westlake that were purchased with the RV in May. I am about to take trip up north in October. I know these Westlakes are a new tire and I have warranty on them all all that jazz, but my friends and others have had bad experiences with China bomb tires. I am thinking of purchasing the Goodyear Endurance which I hear really good reviews on. Right now I have the 225/75R16 tire. I was thinking up going up to the 235/80R16 tire for a little more beef in the tire. I am running 295rl about 10,000 lbs. Any thoughts on upgrading the tire a bit? Any affect on the RV going up a slot on the tires?
    You might consider upgrading the load rating. (Ex. go from D to E or got up one load factor rating}.
    Robs point about countless discussions on the forum is spot on.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    You might consider upgrading the load rating. (Ex. go from D to E or got up one load factor rating}.
    Robs point about countless discussions on the forum is spot on.
    Bob A.
    Its a forum guys countless discussions is kind of the point.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    Its a forum guys countless discussions is kind of the point.
    But no need to retype information if it's already there.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    But no need to retype information if it's already there.

Rob
    Then do not post, problem solved, just do not discourage other from answering the question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fellas,
    I just purchased a used 2019 2400BH with West Gate 205 tires. How do I know if those are the "bombs?" I have read not all West Gate tires are the bad ones. I also understand the Endurance are the best but there is so much tread left on the tires I was hoping to get all I could out of them. That said I don't want to risk my families safety or massive repairs to the trailer and would thus plop down the $$$ if needed.

FWIW I tried searching the forum with "West Gate 205" and didn't get anything. I just point that out to affirm I attempted to find the answer.

Thanks for any thoughts on the tires or the searching.
    Beau and Kathryn
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 F250 6.7

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauBEVans View Post
    Fellas,
    I just purchased a used 2019 2400BH with West Gate 205 tires. How do I know if those are the "bombs?" I have read not all West Gate tires are the bad ones. I also understand the Endurance are the best but there is so much tread left on the tires I was hoping to get all I could out of them. That said I don't want to risk my families safety or massive repairs to the trailer and would thus plop down the $$$ if needed.

FWIW I tried searching the forum with "West Gate 205" and didn't get anything. I just point that out to affirm I attempted to find the answer.

Thanks for any thoughts on the tires or the searching.
    I've never heard of "West Gate" tires, which is why you likely didn't find anything in a search. If you're talking about Westlake ST tires, there are many threads on the forum discussion this topic. The load range E tires are the ones that are problematic - likely the tires that came on your Imagine. The heavier load range G tires (Solitudes and Momentums) are a good tire. You can find the load range on the sidewall of the tire.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015