User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    I'm hoping https://www.starlink.com/ will be the answer!
    Starlink will be the answer, just not quite yet, they are just starting their Beta testing and only in the Northern States.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    You need to check into these folks https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

They do the research and testing to validate the claims. The 'hosts' have over 10 years experience of full time road work in technology.
    I second this answer.

Additionally, before you decide on your plan, you need to figure out exactly how much Data you use each month. If it is high, can you reduce your data usage?

Again RV Mobile Internet has everything broken down in simple enough terms for you to understand.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out about what I use via YouTube channel Grand Adventure - I have been using it for 1 year and am able to work, stream etc. for 25$ month plus 20$ for the phone. I wont waste time getting into the details. I will let him explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrigHuE6igw&t=145s

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    You need to check into these folks https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

They do the research and testing to validate the claims. The 'hosts' have over 10 years experience of full time road work in technology.
    Agree with Rick: We used this source to find the system that works best for us and our use.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gea...wifimax-swift/
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work on the road. Most RV parks have crappy internet and almost seem proud of it. I have two systems. Winegard Connect, which very easy connection to the park's wifi. Do not buy their cellular data plan; total waste of a lot of money.

I also have Wifiranger. It gets a signal better from longer distances than Winegard Connect, but it sometimes takes a lot of effort to get connected.

Both systems run about $750 each. If you feel tech savvy, buy the Wifiranger. If not, buy Winegard Connect.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not exactly meant for full-time hotspotting but I really appreciate Google Fi's plan. Basically if you have a Google Fi approved phone (that you buy from them) then it uses a combo of Sprint/T-Mobile/US Cellular towers.

https://fi.google.com/about/plans/

https://fi.google.com/coverage

It's coverage might not be so amazing as maybe ATT or Verizon but the pricing is super straightforward I think. Again, maybe very recently the other carriers simplified pricing and data usage but Google Fi just charges you $30/month for service + the first GB of data. Then it's $10/gb after, up to 6GB at which point it doesn't charge you anymore (so you'll max out at like $70/month). It doesn't throttle you either at that point, until you hit 22GB for the month. And you get discounts if you have more than one person on the plan.

It's not always fast but if you're just needing generic connection to the internet it's pretty solid. Plus, it lets you make standard calls over WiFi (like a VOIP kinda thing) which is nice. Pretty seamless.

Also the international service (when I went to Canada, China, Taiwan, Japan and Europe) is really good. No extra charge for data (!!!) and I think you get free texting. Plus again you get free calls on WiFi. It was so good actually that they had to tamp down on people who didn't actually live in the US having the service by way of a US mailing address.
    Last edited by WiscoRVLife; 08-08-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tether to our phones like you (AT&T), and use KING WiFiMax router when we are in range of a free wifi connection. Think I would start searching for a new cell phone provider or pay for a separate hotspot device or satellite internet (both costly). It might surprise you at the things not available that become available once you tell them you want to cancel your cell phone plan...lol.....good luck and please share if you find a cheap alternative.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very timely subject matter. I was just thinking today how nice it would be to open a box, plug it in and have internet.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    I'm hoping https://www.starlink.com/ will be the answer!
    I second that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starlink will be the answer in another year or two depending on if they step up the rocket launches now. I have wired my new Grand Design with Ethernet that runs into the bay so that we can hook up to the newer parks that run Ethernet to each campsite. When we are not at one of those parks you need something that can connect to the normally crappy WiFi and pull it in so that you can redistribute it in your unit as you need. I am an IT person and I work from home and at our state park with has just crap tastic WiFi with this setup I was able to work from there and have my Zoom calls with my staff each morning last week. It is not really complicated or expensive to get better WiFi but it does require you to be handy and willing to watch a few YouTube videos possibly. Depending on your unit and how hard it may be to get Ethernet from your convenience bay into the unit where you can place an off the shelf router that is hardest part. The devices you could buy to do this are not hard to use once you do it once or twice. If you are interested in knowing more just let me know and I can explain further. You can also use a 4G modem with this configuration and it would be set up for Starlink when that happens which is why I went ahead and wired it up like I described.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast