Take a look at Nomad Internet

https://nomadinternet.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I think there is no easy way to get reliable fast enough internet for work without either learning all the stuff you don't yet understand or paying your phone carrier a crazy amount of money for the data you need. There are some spots that getting any signal can be a challenge and won't happen simply.

I agree!!!! We've been trying for years! We live in Colorado, we could spend a lot of time, if we could get service, in the woods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had AT&T and had to switch to Verizon, my AT&T was too unreliable on the road. I too work from where ever we are, Verizon has unlimited hotspot and it works great for what I need to do online, basically email paychecks and things like that. The only place, so far, I was unable to get cell and internet service was up in Yosemite.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up buying a MIFI 8000 and getting the $60/month for 100 GB/month hotspot plan from Sprint and a $35 Netgear LTE signal booster from Amazon. Working was no problem. Mostly email/Skype/Zoom. Never got close to using 100 GB/month. Video Streaming could be a problem as 100 GB is not much. At home I use 400 GB/month easily with AT&T fiber, mostly streaming 1080p. So far the Sprint plan has worked out great. The campground has lots of DVDs for loan so I watch DVDs to save data. Regards and stay safe. Big Earl

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDCIx5JpEgs
    Go to YouTube and search for "full time rv internet" and see videos on how other full timers are doing it. A lot of it depends on whether you will be boondocking much of the time which often means far from cell coverage or staying in RV parks which typically are closer to cities with good cell coverage.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starlink isn't really going to be an answer for most people who RV. The biggest issue is you will need a clear view of the sky since you will be receiving internet from moving satellites. Same issues as with satellite TV, anything block the signal, no picture. The issue is worse for Starlink since you aren't trying to find a clear spot for a GPS (fixed location) satellite, but trying to get signal from a moving target which is rapidly moving across the sky. I've seen data indicating you need a clear view about 20 degrees above the horizon ALL around. That's about 3 fists at arm's length above the horizon. Camp in a treed area and at best you will have an intermittent signal. Mountains taller than 20 degrees above the horizon and your coverage is reduced.
    Plus the antenna which has been seen is fixed on a pedestal and any equipment on the roof (AC, etc) will limit it's view of the sky.

Also there is the question of speeds available, which will be dependent on the number of users on any given satellite. Yes, the system is supposed to hand off from one satellite to another as they pass, but if the one you're on happens to be in view of a large number of users, you will probably be speed limited.

Great idea, but I don't believe Starlink will be the miracle answer everyone thinks it will be.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to look up the Mobile Internet Resource Center. You can find them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mobileinternetinfo/
    Or online. A great resource for both free and paid memberships. They are constantly updating information about how to connect while traveling. They include the most recent cell phone plans, gear, etc.

I just signed up for their yearly membership because I found the info so valuable.

Best,
    Kelley
    Kelley
    Full-timer on the road East
    2021 Imagine XLS 2670MK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good info. I have yet to settle on anything and make a purchase myself.

So far, my Verizon phone works everywhere I have gone except in the U.P. of Michigan. But the RV park had wi-fi.

The crappy part of RV park wi-fi is low signal. Most I talk to do not use it because they also say, "nah, it is crappy." I happened to have an ASUS RT-AC66 router (use 3 at home creating a mesh).

It is EZ setup for the not so savvy person. The gui is nice and straight forward. I picked "repeater" connect to campground wi-fi, then set a password. I stream NetFlix in HD with zero buffering. I even connect to my home PC and stream movies in HD.

I have tested trying to connect my Roku and cell phone to the park wi-fi and then to my router. I drop and buffer when straight to park wi-fi but have none of that when going through the router. The built in antenna grab the park's 1 bar no problem.

I plan to purchase a high gain antenna since this has worked great so far. My cell is my backup and I continue to look for how to improve reception when signal is weak.

BTW, my router is only $91 on Amazon. A far cry from a lot of the products I see as recommends on various websites.

Just my 2 cents from an old cheap bast@rd.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Starlink will be the answer, just not quite yet, they are just starting their Beta testing and only in the Northern States.
    As someone who worked in the tech industry during the early years of the internet, and who’s business was streaming content before most people had heard the term, what we are capable of now is amazing. Starlink is likely the answer (thanks Elon) but it is still early (5G is great too, but coverage is a ways off). You can be an early adopter of various other technologies that are out there and pay for “internet anywhere” (I paid $6,000 for my first CD burner and it worked about 25% of the time), but realistically it will be a while yet, but it won’t be long and you’ll be able to get high speed connectivity virtually anywhere, so simple answer for now is get work done when you’re in a spot with good WiFi (there’s more and more places) and then enjoy the places where there is no internet doing the things that RV life was supposed be for in the first place...peace and quiet, natural beauty, family time, maybe a good glass of bourbon. Just my opinion...from someone that kind of burned himself out on tech...:-) have fun out there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast