Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow weight

Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I just read a thread where a poster said he got a 38' TT because a 5er of that length would put him over payload capacity. That post started me thinking, what's actually safer here? Let's take 2 relatively similar trailers, both 40' long, both 15K, one a 5er that puts you overweight on the truck and another a TT that keeps you "in spec" for the truck. Which would you rather tow? Which would you feel safer towing?

I know the answer for me; give me the overweight 5er any day of the week (as long as we're talking "reasonable" overweight here, not a 44' toy hauler on a 150!). Let's say a 5er that's 14K GVWR (~2.5K pin weight, which is going to be over for most 250 class trucks) vs a TT that's the same GVWR. If both weigh about the same, which do you think would be safer? I remember a lot of threads in the past saying "get a TT instead" (not here, elsewhere), but, to me, I'm really not sure you've increased safety at all in that situation. I've towed plenty of trailers in my day, and I've had plenty of hairy experiences with trailers. Once I moved to goosenecks/5er's, I've had exactly 0 "hair" from any trailer, even when overloading a 250 with a 351M.

I'm just not sure the advise makes sense to me. Suddenly your truck can tow more by using a less stable/secure connection? If anything, I'd think that airbags or some other "beef up the truck" would be safer (forgetting about legalities here).
    Does anybody check their vehicle tow ratings? My 2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD with Duramax can pull a trailer 16,500 pounds on a bumper ball hitch and 22,800 with 35th wheel or gooseneck hitch. So you can haul a larger 5th wheel than a travel trailer.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problems towing a trailer

When a Fifth wheeler puts you 3,000 pounds over weight that is not safe. As I mentioned I have towed my 38' Reflection all the way across the country and back and several other trips with absolutely no issues. The key is having the right equipment. A truck with a long wheel base, a good equalizing hitch and good sway control. I know that 5th wheels are supposed to tow better and with the hitch over the rear wheels that makes perfect sense, but I hardly know my trailer is back behind me and passing trucks are no issue at all, so how much easier can it be. The only advantage I know is that a 38 foot 5th wheel or even a 35 foot 5th wheel would mean a shorter over all length and thus provide easier maneuverability.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill's 315rlts View Post
    When a Fifth wheeler puts you 3,000 pounds over weight that is not safe. As I mentioned I have towed my 38' Reflection all the way across the country and back and several other trips with absolutely no issues. The key is having the right equipment. A truck with a long wheel base, a good equalizing hitch and good sway control. I know that 5th wheels are supposed to tow better and with the hitch over the rear wheels that makes perfect sense, but I hardly know my trailer is back behind me and passing trucks are no issue at all, so how much easier can it be. The only advantage I know is that a 38 foot 5th wheel or even a 35 foot 5th wheel would mean a shorter over all length and thus provide easier maneuverability.
    Well said, Bill. Having the same equipment as you, I can fully understand your viewpoint and agree with you 100%. I have driven semi rigs for many years ( big fifth wheels) and can rightfully say that even the big rigs are not stable 100% of the time. Wind can sway a lightly loaded 53" semi trailer as easily as a 35' TT. "Chucking" can also happen over not-so-smooth roads ( and there are many miles of them in the USA). It still all boils down to safe driving practices, checking your rig for secure connections before each trip, and staying within the capacities of your equipment and the driver.
    Last edited by csjag1; 08-14-2020 at 01:46 PM. Reason: addition.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123