User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The brakes on my Solitude were weak from the start. After putting up with that for a year & 1/2, I pulled the drums to pack the bearings, & yup, broken parts & brake material hit the ground. I put on all new brakes, backing plates, springs etc. While I was there & spending part of our daughters inheritance I put on HD shackle/wet bolts & SRE 3000 equalizers. The brakes now feel the way they should. This is my third 5th wheel in 19 years & have never had to change brakes on the previous two (& would check 'em at least EOY) I think when these units are delivered, in my case almost 2k miles, some of the drivers use mostly trailer brakes only. Saves the brakes on their TV. That's my story & I'm sticking to it.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a fact...Jack !!
    I've been told that by transport drivers myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had a very similar issue with our Lippert hubs on our 273 MK. We had the brake lock up on the front right axle 2 times within the first 3 months of ownership. Our 3rd time occurred on the last leg of a 2800 mile trip to Oregon. Luckily there was a dealership 20 miles from our location but about 350 miles away from home. All 3 times, the inside of the hub looked exactly like yours. Scary situation no doubt. Lippert is taking responsibility and replacing both hubs, brake assembly and bearings on the front axle. Haven’t received the unit back yet. It’s only been there a month and a half. We look forward to using it again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdanielson View Post
    Hello all. We are new to GD but not new to RV's. We recently purchased a 2021 Imagine 3100RD. On the drive home (about 300 miles) we stopped regularly to check axle temps, tires, etc. No problems. Arriving home, I noticed some dark dust on one of my wheels. My gut kinda sank. Today I finally got around to pulling the wheel. It's not good. We are really discouraged. We haven't spent a single night in the trailer yet.

I called my dealer and he said to call GD, so I did. They were closed and I left a message. I also emailed them. My questions: Have any of you ever heard of this happening? Do you think GD will stand behind their products? What typically happens in these situations (as far as having someone come and fix it or???)?

Thanks for reading. I hope to be a contributor in the future as we gain some more experiences.
    It would probably be smart to check the other 3 wheels.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y'all have me worried. I have not checked the brakes yet and am afraid of what I might find.

GD "might" cover cost of mobile tech. Explain how unreasonable a brake issue on the ride hime is and that you would take it in if yiu could. Be prepared if they need to make 2 visits, that is double travel. BTW...GD must get an itemized list of repairs and approve it before the repair is done. And if not a GD network dealer, you may have to ship them the old parts and pay for the repair upfront (they reimburse you).

Technically, you are supposed to contact your home dealer for suspected warranty work.

I have started to become an expert. I am the guy with the GD lemon. Just arrive at Sleeping Bear National Lake Forest park and have 3 areas on my underbelly that are pouring water. Issue number 19 (some significant). Days owned - 34

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I bought my Reflection I was impressed with GD's letting owners use mobile technicians. I found out later the owner had to pay the travel charges. This could really be expensive. See my post above. I was an hour away from civilization, so assuming the first trip might have been to assess the parts needed and to notify GD of the charges, and then the second trip to repair. That could be some serious charges on my part, plus a couple of days of down time.

An owner might be better off getting the parts before the mobile tech arrives, and then just hope GD authorizes the repair later. Warranty just doesn't mean much anymore as owners have to jump through hoops. Many of us have to drive hours back to the selling dealer, so again, it may be better to just pay for repairs out of pocket.

Many years ago, when I got my first travel trailer, and older friend told me "Son, if you can't work on them your are better off without them".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Many of us have to drive hours back to the selling dealer, so again, it may be better to just pay for repairs out of pocket.

Many years ago, when I got my first travel trailer, and older friend told me "Son, if you can't work on them your are better off without them".
    I can work on them (or learn what I don't know. But that is a sad reality for a new rig!! We pay a lot of money for a new rig and the above reality means the cost we paid is not the true cost.

I know people often say they don't build it to last, but seems GD isn't building them to make it home.

Maybe it is a result of Winnebago buying them?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachWun View Post
    I can work on them (or learn what I don't know. But that is a sad reality for a new rig!! We pay a lot of money for a new rig and the above reality means the cost we paid is not the true cost.

I know people often say they don't build it to last, but seems GD isn't building them to make it home.

Maybe it is a result of Winnebago buying them?
    I totally agree with you. It's sad the quality of components and workmanship owners get for the price they pay. I would hate to be a dealer and have to deal with customers that scrimp and save to buy an RV. But, I guess that's why they make the good profits.

At my age I just bought my last trailer. I have really enjoyed camping over the years but question if I'd do it again based on the hassle of the upkeep of today's trailers. I don't ever see it getting better. Quality would drive the price of units into an area where many could not afford the payments.

I just keep wondering whats going to happen in 5-7 years down the road when all of the current crop of trailers start to fall apart and folks still owe about 50% or more of what they paid for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem with my 2800BH. I had both of my axles replaced by Dexter (company who makes axles) , then on my first trip I've heard one bang noise of the back of my trailer and i found the same problem.
    I've called Dexter and they send me whole bearing, drum and brake assembly real fast and it was much better dealing with Dexter than with GD warranty departmentClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20200612_175630.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	28728.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200612_175627.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	28727

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C5B19BB-461E-42EA-8DE3-A2B4AD47A9CF.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	28742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2A6CD3D1-A525-466F-B069-E52D2A5BA5D5.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	28743
    Quote Originally Posted by mdanielson View Post
    Hello all. We are new to GD but not new to RV's. We recently purchased a 2021 Imagine 3100RD. On the drive home (about 300 miles) we stopped regularly to check axle temps, tires, etc. No problems. Arriving home, I noticed some dark dust on one of my wheels. My gut kinda sank. Today I finally got around to pulling the wheel. It's not good. We are really discouraged. We haven't spent a single night in the trailer yet.

I called my dealer and he said to call GD, so I did. They were closed and I left a message. I also emailed them. My questions: Have any of you ever heard of this happening? Do you think GD will stand behind their products? What typically happens in these situations (as far as having someone come and fix it or???)?

Thanks for reading. I hope to be a contributor in the future as we gain some more experiences.

Yep I have had a similar issue, not with a GD but a dexter axle on a Northwoods fifth wheel. I think a spring came off, luckily I was only a few miles from home when someone told me my brake was smoking.
    2021 F350 CC LB
    DW, diesel, 4x4
    2020 Momentum 320G

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast