User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I have a problem

Hello all. We are new to GD but not new to RV's. We recently purchased a 2021 Imagine 3100RD. On the drive home (about 300 miles) we stopped regularly to check axle temps, tires, etc. No problems. Arriving home, I noticed some dark dust on one of my wheels. My gut kinda sank. Today I finally got around to pulling the wheel. It's not good. We are really discouraged. We haven't spent a single night in the trailer yet.

I called my dealer and he said to call GD, so I did. They were closed and I left a message. I also emailed them. My questions: Have any of you ever heard of this happening? Do you think GD will stand behind their products? What typically happens in these situations (as far as having someone come and fix it or???)?

Thanks for reading. I hope to be a contributor in the future as we gain some more experiences.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2744.jpg  

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that; it’s very frustrating.

But GD will stand behind it. In another thread someone had issues with their hot water heater on their first time out with a brand new travel trailer. After contacting GD they found they could take it to any dealer, even if they were not GD retailers. GD has a Network with just about any dealer as long as it is not Camping World. In your case with damaged brakes you will need a mobile tech.

I can imagine this takes air out of the excitement of having a brand new RV, but when you bought your unit you also bought a company that stands behind their promise.
    Last edited by Tigger1; 08-03-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post

But GD will stand behind it. In another thread someone had issues with their hot water heater on their first time out with a brand new travel trailer. After contacting GD they found they could take it to any dealer, even if they were not GD retailers. GD has a Network with just about any dealer as long as it is not Camping World. In your case with damaged brakes you will need a mobile tech.

I can imagine this takes air out of the excitement of having a brand new RV, but when you bought your unit you also bought a company that stands behind their promise.
    Well, any place other than Camping World.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post

I like your words of encouragement. Thank you. We bought GD because I felt like I could recognize a company that seemed to have that reputation. I could also see the quality and craftsmanship. Okay, so maybe it was my wife's opinion about the design, too.
    Last edited by mdanielson; 08-03-2020 at 05:53 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdanielson View Post
    .... I called my dealer and he said to call GD, so I did. They were closed and I left a message. I also emailed them. My questions: Have any of you ever heard of this happening? Do you think GD will stand behind their products? What typically happens in these situations (as far as having someone come and fix it or???)?

Thanks for reading. I hope to be a contributor in the future as we gain some more experiences.
    First welcome. This is a great group of people and I think you will find a lot of good information. So very sorry to hear of problems like this right out of the gate.

In answer to question, yes I am sure Grand Design will stand behind getting it fixed. The only time I have heard of problems was on used trailers (not original owners). We have not had any major problems with our Solitude (going on it's 3rd year), but the little issue I have had, Grand design was very good to work with. Have pictures and documentation (VIN, purchase date, etc.) ready. If you have not heard back within a few (2~3 hours) after they open, I would call them again. With a failure like that (even if you put it back together you will have no brake on that wheel), I expect they will authorize a mobile tech to come out and repair it. You may or may not have to pay the "Mobil service" (travel) fee, but GD will pay the parts and labor portion. I think you typically pay for the repair and get reimbursed from Grand Design, but (depending on the area/tech) they may pay the tech directly (especially on a brand new trailer). The one warrantee job I had done an independent (not mobile) shop GD paid them directly (after getting approval - prior approval is very important).

I do have to say I am disappointed, but not surprised in your dealer. They should have jumped in to help you and contact Grand Design. You do not have to use your selling dealer for warrantee work. I have a very poor dealer (for service work) and will not go back to them.

Good luck and I hope it is a speedy and easy fix for you.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 08-03-2020 at 06:33 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris. I will update when I get a resolution. Hopefully that will happen within a day or two. Dealer service is equally important to me when I consider purchases in the future as well. One would think they might figure that out. On the plus side, we love our unit and are looking forward to hitting the road and having some fun.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dealer said to call GD? What a lazy-aZZ.
    But I'd be also notifying Dexter since they make the axles, not GD.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update. Grand Design says to have it fixed locally and they will pay the bill. No questions asked. I decided to contact Dexter because I am not near someone who can readily access the parts. They (Dexter) said they will be sending out a new brake assembly and hub. While I am still waiting for any shipping confirmation from Dexter, I feel satisfied with the response of all parties involved, perhaps with the exception of my dealer. Hopefully camping soon. Thanks for all of your advice and understanding.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up my 273MK in Aug of last year. Immediately found brakes were defective. All 4 wheels had grease contamination and were replace by the dealer.

Two months later I left on a long trip and notice that one hub kept measuring hotter than the others. At a campground in the middle of nowhere near Bowling Green KY I pulled the wheel, and just like yours, all the components fell out on the ground. In addition the hub was cracked. After all morning on the phone, and trying not to delay our trip, I found a shop in bowling Green that could get the parts overnighted from a supplier.

GD authorized the expense and later reimbursed me the $500 charge. Fortunately I understood the problem and could do the installation or I might have spent a week there.

I still have no idea of what caused the problem to occur.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YIKES !!!
    At least you made it home safely !!
    Cannot begin to say how many wheels I've heard of/ or seen.... fly off a trailer !!

When I ordered my 307 MKS in 2017, Lippert was well known for grease coated brakes, so before I took delivery I insisted the selling dealer
    remove all wheels and examine them for grease contamination.
    Guess what they found !!! YUP... all four were a mess.

So.... Lippert sent all new parts and the dealer installed everything BEFORE I even took delivery !!
    You really need to be very proactive in trailer maintenance and this site is a great place to start.
    Grand Designs Tech site is especially designed for service related issues and answers to the most difficult dilemmas.

It begs repeating gain..but, Grand Design is TOP SHELF when it comes to Customer Service !!!
    I've been RV'ing since 2001 (not continuously) and have owned three fifth wheels and no one comes close to the family you've bought into, so rest assured you're in Good Hands !!

I would really love to know HOW a wheel can get that hot to disintegrate in only 300 miles , though ??

My suggestion would be to have the repair tech remove the other 3 wheels to check them thoroughly for any unusual wear ??
    Better safe than.... here again ???

Be sure he installs new seals after inspecting them for sure.

Good Luck and Happy Trails..

Michael
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast