Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection vs Solitude - new customer needs advice

New to this forum, and new to Grand Design. (note: we have been FW towing for over 10 years).

We are torn between the Reflection and the Solitude. There are similar floor plans is each that we love.

Reflection 317RST and Solitude 320X (slightly heavier and slightly taller). I have the tow vehicle to handle either.

I know the Solitude is the cream of the crop, but the Reflection is a lot cheaper.

I would appreciate hearing from the folks that had to make a decision between the 2, and the reasons why.
    Terry and Eileen
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2015 Ram Longhorn 3500 4X2 SRW 6.7 Cummins
    Houston Texas
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm....we have our 337 for a little over a year and love it. Towed it about 13000 miles so far and well over 150 nights. Great rig and built very well...but if the 320X was out when we were in the market we would have bought the 320X. The wide body is very nice and makes a difference down the road.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solitude has better insulation, is 5 inches wider (which translates into about 14 sq ft of added living space), more headroom, has 12 gal hot water heater, framless windows, EquaFlex suspension (not sure if Reflection has it or not), higher GVWR, 16 inch wheels, I think the lading gear is different in that the fronts work independently L/R. I suggest you check the spec sheets but the best thing is to look at and compare each rig and see which one meets your needs the best. I'm a little bias since I own a Solitude.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always think ours is the best!
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We looked hard at the Solitudes but I didn't want to get quite that heavy. I can't get a new truck and I personally think all the Solitude floor plans really need a 1 ton. Also, strange as it sounds, that measly little 5" would be kind of huge for us. I have very little space to squeeze my trailer into my yard. The added length from our previous 34 footer has made even this rig (36.1 ft) tougher so that I can to angle it a bit and open all my slides. These pictures don't do it justice but it is a tight fit. I can open the curb side slide with about 2 inches to spare! I am forgoing the slide toppers like I had on my last trailer so I can hug the garage closer when I back in.

Some of our requirements were extended stay build quality, 50 amp so we could finally have 2 A/C units, 16" wheels/tires without having to do an upgrade and all that that entails, a rear living with the viewing position directly across from the TV and a non-corner shower. The Reflection 337RLS met every criteria in a well built, beautiful unit that we can't believe we could afford. We pinch ourselves.

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

mandolin57
    Terry and Eileen, We looked at both long and hard for almost a year. Hunter will vouch that we drug him out in the cold and snow last winter several times while we were searching and it was through talking to him about features for full-timing that made us decide on the Solitude. However...if we weren't planning on full-timing we would have easily went with the Reflection. We truly liked it very much, but wanted the added insulation and some of the other perks from the Solitude. Honestly...don't know what you're looking to do, but either way you really can't go wrong. The C/S is good either way, and they're both great! Good luck on your decision!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think how much you use the trailer and how far you tow it is a big part of the decision.

We spend a couple of weekends a month and a week or two in the Summer. And we seldom move it out of our membership campground. We might tow it to Florida for a couple of months in the future, however.

The Reflection does us a good job, but I'm sure missing that washer and dryer in our old travel trailer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, some great replies so far.

A little more about us – we hope to retire somewhere around 2021-2022 (6-7 years). We currently use a Crossroads bunkhouse FW (that we have been very happy with for 10 years), and our twin girls are almost 19 and in college, so their trips with us are starting to diminish rapidly.

Leen and I will likely use the new rig about 50 nights per year until we retire. Then we will use it for longer trips, (bucket list includes: Banff, Niagara Falls, Alaska, Grand Canyon…to name a few…) but we will not full time.

In Retirement I can see 100+ nights per year. We live in Houston Texas and use our RV very month of the year.
    Last edited by tcamper; 02-11-2015 at 02:56 PM.
    Terry and Eileen
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2015 Ram Longhorn 3500 4X2 SRW 6.7 Cummins
    Houston Texas
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcamper View Post
    Thanks guys, some great replies so far.

A little more about us – we hope to retire somewhere around 2021-2022 (6-7 years). We currently use a Crossroads bunkhouse FW (that we have been very happy with for 10 years), and our twin girls are almost 19 and in college, so there trips with us are starting to diminish rapidly.

Leen and I will likely use the new rig about 50 nights per year until we retire. Then we will use it for longer trips, (bucket list includes: Banff, Niagara Falls, Alaska, Grand Canyon…to name a few…) but we will not full time.

In Retirement I can see 100+ nights per year. We live in Houston Texas and use our RV very month of the year.
    That sounds like a great plan and you will be getting plenty of use out of the new rig. Whatever rig you choose, If it's available, may I suggest getting the 6 point auto leveling system? It makes it sooooo much easier to set-up and adds that extra stability.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will just say we are very happy with our Reflection. Less expensive means more nights we can afford to use it. Still a very well built, quality unit. My wife likes the colors better in Reflection too. And weighing a little less is nice too. It all depends on what you are comfortable with, and can afford. Either way you will be very happy. Can't wait to welcome you to the Grand Design family.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast