User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modified Sine wave and Microwave?

I got a sweet deal on a Duracell 3000 watt modified sine wave inverter from Costco a few months ago. I saw nothing but good reviews for it when I pulled the trigger. On Costco and Amazon sites it was 4.5-4.7 stars so I figured good enough. I just read that modified sine wave can have issues with certain electronics like TVs and microwaves. This inverter review guy says it seems to be ones of the better modified sinewave units.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OhoJ6lTZfhE

So three questions for my favorite message board:

Should I have any worries about running my devices and causing damage to them?

If I’m gonna boondock off solar for a week should I be running the fridge on propane or inverter?

Do you guys leave the inverters on 24/7?
    He mentions its only a 6-7 watt draw at idle.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    I got a sweet deal on a Duracell 3000 watt modified sine wave inverter from Costco a few months ago. I saw nothing but good reviews for it when I pulled the trigger. On Costco and Amazon sites it was 4.5-4.7 stars so I figured good enough. I just read that modified sine wave can have issues with certain electronics like TVs and microwaves. This inverter review guy says it seems to be ones of the better modified sinewave units.

If I’m gonna boondock off solar for a week should I be running the fridge on propane or inverter?

Only thing I can answer - if you're boondocking the fridge should be on propane.

My husband says he doesn't leave the inverter on on 24/7.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In order to run your electronics you need a "Pure Sine Wave" Inverter. The Modified Sine Wave Inverters create an "Imitation" Sine Wave (aka: Modified Sine Wave) by turning the power off and on which is what causes damage to your Electronics. A pure Sine Wave Inverter varies the electron impulses in a smooth manner, just like the power company at your house.

Regarding your fridge while boondocking, it depends on how large your battery bank and Solar System is, if you have a big battery bank and lots of Solar, then you could run your Fridge on the Inverter over night, but most likely, you would be better off running the fridge on Propane.

Regarding leaving your inverter on overnight (24/7), again, it depends on how large your battery bank is, Inverters use energy when they are at idle, if your battery bank is large enough that you would not miss the energy wasted while the inverter sits idle, then leave it on, otherwise you would be better off just turning it on while it is actually in use.

Happy camping !!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for Microwaves I have no first hand experience but have heard a pure sine wave is strongly recommended, that they can work on modified but you may have problems. Primarily I'm here to say I wouldn't worry about electronics with the modified sine wave because they all just convert it back to DC before using it anyhow. TV, laptops, games all work fine. The rectifier in the converter does not care in the slightest. Where you absolutely must have pure sine wave is anything with a motor -- compressor fridge, hair dryer, sawzall, etc. As said, run the fridge off of propane unless you have a ridiculously sized battery bank and solar array, or during transit especially if you expect to have hookups at your destination to recharge.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I have any worries about running my devices and causing damage to them?.... no - I had one in my last RV (a Tiffin Phaeton) and it ran everything including the micro and frig without a hiccup.

If I’m gonna boondock off solar for a week should I be running the fridge on propane or inverter?... propane.

Do you guys leave the inverters on 24/7?... yes - even boondocking - although, we have a residential frig so we have to.

having said all that - if I were to buy an inverter (which I did when I replaced the one GD installed) - I would opt for a full sine wave if I could afford the price difference.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods