Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smallest Grand Designs toy hauler?

My wife and I are considering a sort of hybrid toy hauler approach to full timing.

We want the garage to be an office area for her remote job (she does stuff which needs to abide by HIPAA, meaning I can't be overhearing anything), but also able to hold a few electric bikes during relocation or rain, etc. We figure we could upgrade the garage area a bit.

But we're new to trailering, and I think a triple axle is pretty crazy to start with. I've trailered some double axle stuff but nothing fifth wheel, etc.

Is there a Grand Designs double-axle fifth wheel or even conventional hitch model, with garage, out there we should consider? Or maybe there's some "office edition" of a standard hitch trailer, haha! Then we'd maybe tow with a burly van and put the bikes in that thing. I don't want to put the $$$ eBikes on a regular external hitch if possible.

Trying to stay around $80k for the combo of truck and trailer (used of course). Maybe $100k if it's just impossible otherwise. Maybe that's not a reasonable price either

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscoRVLife View Post
    My wife and I are considering a sort of hybrid toy hauler approach to full timing.

We want the garage to be an office area for her remote job (she does stuff which needs to abide by HIPAA, meaning I can't be overhearing anything), but also able to hold a few electric bikes during relocation or rain, etc. We figure we could upgrade the garage area a bit.

But we're new to trailering, and I think a triple axle is pretty crazy to start with. I've trailered some double axle stuff but nothing fifth wheel, etc.

Is there a Grand Designs double-axle fifth wheel or even conventional hitch model, with garage, out there we should consider? Or maybe there's some "office edition" of a standard hitch trailer, haha! Then we'd maybe tow with a burly van and put the bikes in that thing. I don't want to put the $$$ eBikes on a regular external hitch if possible.

Trying to stay around $80k for the combo of truck and trailer (used of course). Maybe $100k if it's just impossible otherwise. Maybe that's not a reasonable price either
    I have a 351M, it's a double axle toy hauler from Grand Design that seems to meet your criteria. It's a heavy double axle though, you're going to want a dually pickup to tow it, it's as heavy as they get before going to a triple. About 40' long, although remember, a lot of that is over the truck, so it's not as bad as towing a 40' flatbed. I'm really happy with mine, my W and I both work from the road and we have 2 areas, the back (garage) and the main living area so we can setup 2 offices if we both need to be on calls. And, because it's a toy hauler, e-bikes/motorcycles/etc are easy, just drive'em in the back!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I was just looking at the 320G and 328G also. They seem a tad bit smaller. Is there any reason the G-series (I guess their cheaper series) is significantly worse than the M-series?

Oh...another question. Since our plan was to haul the bikes (up to 4 pretty big eBikes) in the back of the truck after unhitching from the trailer (if we wanted to find some more remote trails to access), I'm wondering if trying to make a gooseneck hitch work instead of a fifth wheel would be viable. I see there are good gooseneck adapters that apparently make them tow really well. A fifth wheel robs a lot of the bed space and I'm pretty darn sure getting four ebikes side-by-side in the bed with that big fifth wheel hitch would not be a good time.

Using a 2" hitch bike rack like you see on a lot of cars is an option. Maybe 2 on that, 2 in the bed. But it starts to get a bit complicated in that case. I'd like a one-shot bike moving solution.

That's really why I was interested in avoiding fifth wheel trailers to begin with. But then I see all these stories about larger toy haulers on standard hitches being lousy to tow.
    Last edited by WiscoRVLife; 08-04-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscoRVLife View Post
    Thanks! I was just looking at the 320G and 328G also. They seem a tad bit smaller. Is there any reason the G-series (I guess their cheaper series) is significantly worse than the M-series?

Oh...another question. Since our plan was to haul the bikes (up to 4 pretty big eBikes) in the back of the truck after unhitching from the trailer (if we wanted to find some more remote trails to access), I'm wondering if trying to make a gooseneck hitch work instead of a fifth wheel would be viable. I see there are good gooseneck adapters that apparently make them tow really well. A fifth wheel robs a lot of the bed space and I'm pretty darn sure getting four ebikes side-by-side in the bed with that big fifth wheel hitch would not be a good time.

Using a 2" hitch bike rack like you see on a lot of cars is an option. Maybe 2 on that, 2 in the bed. But it starts to get a bit complicated in that case. I'd like a one-shot bike moving solution.

That's really why I was interested in avoiding fifth wheel trailers to begin with. But then I see all these stories about larger toy haulers on standard hitches being lousy to tow.
    For the gooseneck "adpater", do not pass go, just get a Goosebox. It's expensive, but it's really nice, there's no "adapter", it replaces the whole pin and it's also air suspended. That's how I have mine configured, just a B/W ball in the bed that I can remove with about 10 seconds and weighs less than 10 lbs. I also have other gooseneck trailers, so it was a "must have" for me.

The difference between the M and G.. No, there's nothing wrong with a G. In fact, most of the parts are just carry over. The M is just "more". The finishes are better, there are often more slides, you get better components. If you want to think of something, imagine a F150 Lariat vs. King Ranch/Platinum. Same thing basically, the KR is just "nicer". There are also some options on the M that aren't on the G (like 3rd AC, IIRC, others can chime in here with more info). There is nothing at all wrong with the G, and honestly , if your at all worried about weight of the trailer, a G is lighter too. If you have a big enough truck, then start comparing the two. IIRC, there was about a 8-10K swing in price between them. Go to a dealer that has both on the lot and ask to get a comparison of the two side by side. You'll see the difference, it's there, but it's also not "this is junk and this is great". It's kind of "good to better" comparing the two.

IMHO, you're looking in the right place. If you're towing big, which you are if you're looking at toy hauler, I'd suggest a gooseneck/5er if you can make it work. You'll enjoy that towing more than a TT, I can pretty much promise you that (once you get used to it, they turn and backup "funny" if you're used to a TT, not bad at all, just different, you need to get used to it).

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The G class looks like it has a couple of trailers the 29g and 31g that might work for you. They even have a half bath in the garage. If you could find a dealer that stocks a lot of toy haulers that would be ideal. Like overtaxed had said then you could do the comparisons.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes they make a much smaller Toy Hauler that never seems to get much attention here on this board: Imagine 24MPR

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/24mpr

Actually a neat little trailer that we are considering trading in the 2800BH. Though I’d be adding the loading door deck kit and three season door as a project.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The G class looks like it has a couple of trailers the 29g and 31g that might work for you. They even have a half bath in the garage. If you could find a dealer that stocks a lot of toy haulers that would be ideal. Like overtaxed had said then you could do the comparisons.
    Those look pretty nice. I'm a little worried, after reading way too much forum chat, that fifth-wheel is the ONLY way to go for larger trailers like that. But I'd love it if we could get something like this and tow with a burly van. Per my earlier comment, I'd still like to have an enclosed vehicle to transport bikes, instead of loading them up onto a pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    Yes they make a much smaller Toy Hauler that never seems to get much attention here on this board: Imagine 24MPR

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/24mpr

Actually a neat little trailer that we are considering trading in the 2800BH. Though I’d be adding the loading door deck kit and three season door as a project.
    This is pretty neat! At first glance, it would be great if it could come with the Happijac bed in the garage. Maybe the ceiling is too low compared to the bigger Momentums. But the garage could definitely be turned into more of an office/living space and then we might be able to leave the bed up front folded down more often.