User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice from Rob. I tow our 337 with a 3500 RAM SRW Diesel with a 40gal aux tank in the bed. The truck is a base model so not optioned out, an Andersen Ultimate hitch helps a lot and we don't carry anything else in the truck except us and our dogs. We have to watch how we load the camper, especially in the front but we stay several hundred pounds under the limit. I weigh before putting fuel in the Aux tank but so far haven't had a problem. It would not work if we were full-timing. If I had it to do over again I would get a DRW but at least we are able to make it work safely.

We bought our 2016 337 used from a private party in 2017 and paid just at 50% of the MSRP. It was one year old and had less that 1000 miles on it. Admittedly not an easy deal to find but maybe you could get lucky. Of course we were planning at the time to get a new 303 but could not pass up that deal.
    Last edited by SteveTN; 08-13-2020 at 08:42 AM.
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Be careful of "towing capacity" - it's not the same as payload. Any modern diesel 3/4-ton truck will pull a brick house off its foundation... you just can't put the weight of the house (or the usual 23% of it) on the rear axle of the truck. With fifth wheel RVs, it's all about the truck's payload. Diesel drive trains are heavier than their gas counterparts and will usually reduce the payload by 500 - 700 lbs. 4WD knocks another couple of hundred pounds off the payload. High-end trim packages are heaver... the list goes on. You also have to subtract the weight of the hitch, a toolbox in the bed (if you get one) and anything in it, fuel, occupants, pets, and "stuff" from the payload listed on the sticker on the truck. For the trailer, 23% of the GVWR listed by the manufacturer is a safe bet on loaded pin weight.

Let me give you an example of how we started out with our 337: we had, at the time, a 2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo. It was rear wheel drive only, so that bought us a few pounds of payload and, with me, the hitch, a full tank, and a BakFlip Tonneau cover, the CAT scales showed we had 3,060 lbs. of payload left (the CAT scales are your best friend and don't lie). This is quite a bit of payload for a 3/4-ton diesel truck. The CAT scales also showed that the pin weight on our loaded 337 was consistently between 3,000 and 3,100 lbs - different weights over time. I was not comfortable with this low margin... what if I had a rear truck tire failure at those weights? Could I keep it under control? My wife also used to tell people that I wouldn't let her buy more than six rolls of toilet paper at a time. When we had the chance to trade even for a low-mileage F350 dual rear wheel, we jumped on it - and haven't worried about payload since. It also made it possible for us to move up to our new Solitude when the time came without worrying about the truck.

There are hundreds of threads on this topic and I have been accused of being a member of the "Weight Police" on a few occasions. IMHO, you can't put a price on safety.

Rob
    This is sound advice. Get a 350/3500 SRW minimum. I'd go dually though. For all the reasons stated above.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently bought a 2021 337RLS that I ordered in May and picked up in June and paid $46,000, almost 30% off MSRP. I pull it with a Ford F-350 DRW. My previous truck was a Ford F-350 SRW and would have no concerns of pulling it with a SRW if payload capacity of the truck would handle it. (As already stated payload varies among trucks due to options) I only upgraded to the DRW because I have a pasture mowing business and haul larger cab tractors with batwing shredders.
    Last edited by Double Eagle; 08-13-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just bought a 337RLS on 5/4/20. It was 2 years old and we got it for $33.8K which was $5K below what dealer was asking. We had been to that dealer prior so I think they knew that we knew what the right price was. The first rig they wanted to sell us they did not accept the offer but this one they did, maybe because we didn't offer any more on the first rig. Since buying our 2018 337RLS the price (NADA) has gone up, not down, so you have to know your market. If your not in a specific rush know the market, what you should pay, and don't go over that.

Over the years of looking we did find the best prices for new units near Elkhart IN, at least you'll get the lower destination charges, and it's a nice place to visit. Take a GD tour while your there.

We do love our pre-owned unit, it's in great shape and seems to have all the kinks worked out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123