User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would like to buy Reflection 337RLS Looking for reasonable price advice.

Hello,

We are new to RVing and live in Southern California. The dealers do not want to negotiate due to covid related supply and demand conditions. What is a reasonable price to pay or walk away? We are not opposed to driving a distance to make a good purchase, but unsure of any ramifications or how to go about this. We are looking for new or nearly new. Any advice regarding what to be mindful of, suggestions, and a bottom line price suggestion. We appreciate any information provided. Thank you!!

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red, it would be quite helpful for you to reveal what price level you have been quoted. In my career selling automotive service equipment, what I tried to keep in mind was three factors- price, quality, and service. You can only achieve two of three. We had a 2014 337 which we bought new for low $40s. Included upgraded windows. Service from that dealer was fair. It is a different market currently, but a fair deal can happen. And factory service is superior.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redparrot02 View Post
    Hello,

We are new to RVing and live in Southern California. The dealers do not want to negotiate due to covid related supply and demand conditions. What is a reasonable price to pay or walk away? We are not opposed to driving a distance to make a good purchase, but unsure of any ramifications or how to go about this. We are looking for new or nearly new. Any advice regarding what to be mindful of, suggestions, and a bottom line price suggestion. We appreciate any information provided. Thank you!!
    Since dealers you’re considering don’t want to negotiate, you might need to travel to get the deal you want. You need to decide if that’s what you want to do. On the positive side you could make a mini vacation out of it. Another thing to consider is you don’t need to get warranty work done at the selling dealer.

Many people travel distances to get a better deal. Check out this recent thread. In the end you will need to decide what is best for you. It’s a hot market currently.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...p-Your-Trailer
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have to buy an RV right now, don't. That goes for cars and trucks as well. Prices are peaking and are about to come down, wait till the off season and buy one then. Or better yet buy a 1 or 2 year old that has the kinks worked out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply and wisdom. You are absolutely right...price, quality, and service-pick 2 how could I forget! We offered 45k and they did not counter offer because we were no where close. I do not know what they would actually take, but I was distinctly told its about supply and demand right now.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    Since dealers you’re considering don’t want to negotiate, you might need to travel to get the deal you want. You need to decide if that’s what you want to do. On the positive side you could make a mini vacation out of it. Another thing to consider is you don’t need to get warranty work done at the selling dealer.

Many people travel distances to get a better deal. Check out this recent thread. In the end you will need to decide what is best for you. It’s a hot market currently.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...p-Your-Trailer
    Thanks for your reply and the link. I will keep searching and hopefully find the right deal.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agpopp View Post
    If you don't have to buy an RV right now, don't. That goes for cars and trucks as well. Prices are peaking and are about to come down, wait till the off season and buy one then. Or better yet buy a 1 or 2 year old that has the kinks worked out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I may end up waiting if I can't find the right deal now. Thanks for your reply.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you're looking and waiting, just a word about the 337, tow vehicles and payload. Despite being a "mid-profile" fifth wheel, the 337 is a heavy beast and routinely puts 3,000 lbs. or more on the pin when loaded (ignore advertised pin weights - they are dry/empty). This is beyond the capability of many 3/4-ton trucks - especially if they are diesel (heavier drive train) and optioned out. Many people are towing the 337 with 3/4-tons, but a number of others have ended up being members of the "Two-Timers Club" in that they have had to upgrade their trucks. We spent almost five years full-time in a 337 and started out with a 3/4-ton diesel truck... need I say more? All that said, the 337 is a great floor plan, which is why we chose the Solitude 310 when we moved up (same floor plan, Solitude features).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    While you're looking and waiting, just a word about the 337, tow vehicles and payload. Despite being a "mid-profile" fifth wheel, the 337 is a heavy beast and routinely puts 3,000 lbs. or more on the pin when loaded (ignore advertised pin weights - they are dry/empty). This is beyond the capability of many 3/4-ton trucks - especially if they are diesel (heavier drive train) and optioned out. Many people are towing the 337 with 3/4-tons, but a number of others have ended up being members of the "Two-Timers Club" in that they have had to upgrade their trucks. We spent almost five years full-time in a 337 and started out with a 3/4-ton diesel truck... need I say more? All that said, the 337 is a great floor plan, which is why we chose the Solitude 310 when we moved up (same floor plan, Solitude features).

Rob
    Hey Rob...this is just the kind of advice I am looking for. Would you say you 3/4 ton did not do a good job or has possible safety issues under less than ideal conditions? The 337 is heavier than the several options for a 5th wheel but I agree, its a very nice floor plan. I checked no 3500 2 wheel to be had in CA, we could get a 3500 single wheel and the pin weight does increase by about 600lbs, we may wait, any thoughts on that?. The 2021 2500 GMC has a much better towing capacity than in previous years so we are considering it...carefully. Enjoy your days! Any other nuggets you'd like to share, I'm all ears. We are totally new and I have the thought to make our 1st trip to Flathead Lake in Montana. We still work full time but are preparing for retirement, I am a little concerned about hours, and hours, and hours on the road but maybe I should reserve judgement on that until I experience it.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redparrot02 View Post
    Hey Rob...this is just the kind of advice I am looking for. Would you say you 3/4 ton did not do a good job or has possible safety issues under less than ideal conditions? The 337 is heavier than the several options for a 5th wheel but I agree, its a very nice floor plan. I checked no 3500 2 wheel to be had in CA, we could get a 3500 single wheel and the pin weight does increase by about 600lbs, we may wait, any thoughts on that?. The 2021 2500 GMC has a much better towing capacity than in previous years so we are considering it...carefully. Enjoy your days! Any other nuggets you'd like to share, I'm all ears. We are totally new and I have the thought to make our 1st trip to Flathead Lake in Montana. We still work full time but are preparing for retirement, I am a little concerned about hours, and hours, and hours on the road but maybe I should reserve judgement on that until I experience it.
    Be careful of "towing capacity" - it's not the same as payload. Any modern diesel 3/4-ton truck will pull a brick house off its foundation... you just can't put the weight of the house (or the usual 23% of it) on the rear axle of the truck. With fifth wheel RVs, it's all about the truck's payload. Diesel drive trains are heavier than their gas counterparts and will usually reduce the payload by 500 - 700 lbs. 4WD knocks another couple of hundred pounds off the payload. High-end trim packages are heaver... the list goes on. You also have to subtract the weight of the hitch, a toolbox in the bed (if you get one) and anything in it, fuel, occupants, pets, and "stuff" from the payload listed on the sticker on the truck. For the trailer, 23% of the GVWR listed by the manufacturer is a safe bet on loaded pin weight.

Let me give you an example of how we started out with our 337: we had, at the time, a 2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo. It was rear wheel drive only, so that bought us a few pounds of payload and, with me, the hitch, a full tank, and a BakFlip Tonneau cover, the CAT scales showed we had 3,060 lbs. of payload left (the CAT scales are your best friend and don't lie). This is quite a bit of payload for a 3/4-ton diesel truck. The CAT scales also showed that the pin weight on our loaded 337 was consistently between 3,000 and 3,100 lbs - different weights over time. I was not comfortable with this low margin... what if I had a rear truck tire failure at those weights? Could I keep it under control? My wife also used to tell people that I wouldn't let her buy more than six rolls of toilet paper at a time. When we had the chance to trade even for a low-mileage F350 dual rear wheel, we jumped on it - and haven't worried about payload since. It also made it possible for us to move up to our new Solitude when the time came without worrying about the truck.

There are hundreds of threads on this topic and I have been accused of being a member of the "Weight Police" on a few occasions. IMHO, you can't put a price on safety.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast