User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redparrot02 View Post
    What is a reasonable price to pay or walk away?
    For 2021 models:
    20% off MSRP = You paid more than you needed to
    25% off MSRP = Pretty good deal
    30% off MSRP = Good deal
    > 30% off MSRP = Very good deal

Add 10% to those numbers for prior year (2020) models. I don't pay extra for freight, dealer prep or document charges. IOW, if MSRP is $100,000 and the dealer accepts my offer of 30% off MSRP, the total I pay is $70,000. I do have to pay the DMV title and registration fees separately.

If your local dealer is giving you the run around, just expand your search radius. I understand demand for RV's has increased so you may have to work harder and look further to get a "normal" discount. If nobody in your area is willing to deal, you aren't interested in traveling and you aren't in a hurry, just wait a few months. Supply should pick up after the spring/summer/virus seasonal demand wanes.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Be careful of "towing capacity" - it's not the same as payload. Any modern diesel 3/4-ton truck will pull a brick house off its foundation... you just can't put the weight of the house (or the usual 23% of it) on the rear axle of the truck. With fifth wheel RVs, it's all about the truck's payload. Diesel drive trains are heavier than their gas counterparts and will usually reduce the payload by 500 - 700 lbs. 4WD knocks another couple of hundred pounds off the payload. High-end trim packages are heaver... the list goes on. You also have to subtract the weight of the hitch, a toolbox in the bed (if you get one) and anything in it, fuel, occupants, pets, and "stuff" from the payload listed on the sticker on the truck. For the trailer, 23% of the GVWR listed by the manufacturer is a safe bet on loaded pin weight.

Let me give you an example of how we started out with our 337: we had, at the time, a 2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo. It was rear wheel drive only, so that bought us a few pounds of payload and, with me, the hitch, a full tank, and a BakFlip Tonneau cover, the CAT scales showed we had 3,060 lbs. of payload left (the CAT scales are your best friend and don't lie). This is quite a bit of payload for a 3/4-ton diesel truck. The CAT scales also showed that the pin weight on our loaded 337 was consistently between 3,000 and 3,100 lbs - different weights over time. I was not comfortable with this low margin... what if I had a rear truck tire failure at those weights? Could I keep it under control? My wife also used to tell people that I wouldn't let her buy more than six rolls of toilet paper at a time. When we had the chance to trade even for a low-mileage F350 dual rear wheel, we jumped on it - and haven't worried about payload since. It also made it possible for us to move up to our new Solitude when the time came without worrying about the truck.

There are hundreds of threads on this topic and I have been accused of being a member of the "Weight Police" on a few occasions. IMHO, you can't put a price on safety.

Rob

No, you can't put a price on safety. Love your pic! Safe travels!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redparrot02 View Post
    Hello,

We are new to RVing and live in Southern California. The dealers do not want to negotiate due to covid related supply and demand conditions. What is a reasonable price to pay or walk away? We are not opposed to driving a distance to make a good purchase, but unsure of any ramifications or how to go about this. We are looking for new or nearly new. Any advice regarding what to be mindful of, suggestions, and a bottom line price suggestion. We appreciate any information provided. Thank you!!
    Go to Trailer Hitch RV in Nipomo. They’re knocking good money off and got a lot of Grand Designs in at the start of COVID. They quoted my $54k for a 337RLS before any negotiations. Someone on the forums recently picked one up new in Texas for $44k so don’t pay $60-65k for one. You said So Cal so if you’re dealing with Mike Thompson RV, is just walk. They’re awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I went to Southern California in early 2019 and picked up a "gently used" 2015 337RLS from a private seller. It had the remaining warranty (since expired). Paid $25K, plus I had to put tires on it immediately, to bring it back to Utah. It depends on how far you are willing to go to find that "perfect rig". Now does not seem to be a great time to be shopping. Lots of demand, little reason to negotiate. I suspect there may be a lot of rigs for sale in a couple of years by folks who had no idea what they were getting into, at some pretty good deals.

Just some thoughts, unless you love depreciation.
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson Beifuss View Post
    And I went to Southern California in early 2019 and picked up a "gently used" 2015 337RLS from a private seller. It had the remaining warranty (since expired). Paid $25K, plus I had to put tires on it immediately, to bring it back to Utah. It depends on how far you are willing to go to find that "perfect rig". Now does not seem to be a great time to be shopping. Lots of demand, little reason to negotiate. I suspect there may be a lot of rigs for sale in a couple of years by folks who had no idea what they were getting into, at some pretty good deals.

Just some thoughts, unless you love depreciation.
    Thought you stole my pic and used ot for your profile!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tink Travel.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	28704

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked up a 2018 gently use 377 rls in February. Paid $40250 cash. Spent the month of July in Colorado in it. Loved it. We’re in southern Kansas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N6ZCM1 View Post
    Thought you stole my pic and used ot for your profile!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tink Travel.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	28704
    HaHa. Just my blind kitty, thinking it's his turn to drive!
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson Beifuss View Post
    HaHa. Just my blind kitty, thinking it's his turn to drive!
    Two best pictures I've seen all day. Probably all week. Thanks Jeff and N6ZCM1!
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now, at least in Penna it is a sellers market. There are so many customers for RV’s who have never owned one before, if one customer passes up the deal there is someone waiting behind them to take it. If you really want one you are going to have to pay for it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are welcome!!
    Jeff & Jean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast