User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tacoma vs 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are bordering on top limits and little reserve capacity. Truck will probably handle it but it may overwork transmission. Does truck have tow package with transmission cooler? We were border line on previous camper and tow vehicle. When taking new camper home from dealer the transmission was constantly shifting and I knew it would not last; therefore had to get another tow vehicle. A transmission cooler is a must for tow vehicle and temperature gauge for transmission is important.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just purchased a 22MLE two weeks ago and pull it with a 2020 GMC Canyon with a towing capacity of 7000. All the dealers I talked with assured me it would handle it. I have only pulled it home from the dealer (abt 100 miles) and it seemed to do fine.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martybhawk View Post
    We just purchased a 22MLE two weeks ago and pull it with a 2020 GMC Canyon with a towing capacity of 7000. All the dealers I talked with assured me it would handle it. I have only pulled it home from the dealer (abt 100 miles) and it seemed to do fine.
    Keep a close eye on payload. That's the first and #1 killer. Tongue weight, cargo, passengers... add up real quick

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx for the advice. We’re still getting our stuff together and will do our first weekend trip in 3-4 weeks with a fully loaded trailer. I plan to visit the scales and see what my final numbers are. If I need to upgrade to a Sierra/Silverado, that’s what I’ll do.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's us know what the scale results are. You might not have to change TV

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaceltx View Post
    Also, would dropping to the 18MKE make a meaningful difference?

22MLE: "UVW: 5,176 lbs | GVWR: 6,995 lbs | Hitch Weight: 490 lbs | Length: 26' 1""

18MKE: "UVW: 4,674 lbs | GVWR: 6,395 lbs | Hitch Weight: 480 lbs | Length: 21' 11""
    I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

22mle gvwr 6995 x 15% =1049lbs tongue weight
    18mle gvwr 6395 x 15% = 959lbs tongue weight

Tacoma payload = 1200lbs.

For the 22mle you would have less than 200 lbs before you exceeded. Not enough for really more than 1 person and no stuff

For the 18mle you get 100 lbs more

In either case in.my opinion,, I think you do not have enough truck for either trailer.
    Last edited by Redapple63; 08-10-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a good decision. Too much trailer for a Tacoma. Not only is it not rated to pull a fully loaded MLE but the truck itself would be too light in weight going downhill with a fully loaded MLE behind it. Suggest you find a lighter option or get a bigger truck such as a F150 equipped with a trailer hauling package.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martybhawk View Post
    Wow... you are definitely marginal with your tow vehicle. We tow our 2020 22MLE with a GMC 1500 Denali Crew Cab with the 6.2L (420 hp) (8-speed transmission) and 9,300 lb tow capacity. I would not tow this trailer with anything less than this. Fully loaded, you will be near that posted 6,995 trailer weight. You will have the tail wagging the dog with any lighter tow vehicle. Ours does great as its a heavy truck (even for being a 1/2 ton) and has plenty of HP to pull up any long steep inclines. Ours has a factory trans cooler but I plan to add an additional for ...for traveling in hot weather...
    Roger & Debbie
    2020 XLE 22 MLE
    2021 Chevy 1500 LTZ 4x4
    Crew Cab with, 6.2L V8 With HD Tow Pkg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also hate to be the bearer of bad news. I went down this road a few years ago. I had a 2016 crew cab Tacoma and a 2018 Coleman 2155bh that weighed probably around 5k loaded to go camping. I was always worried about weight and we were over payload every time. I had to do timbrens cut down on the massive amount of squat and an extra trans cooler to keep the temps down on any hill. It was in no way an enjoyable experience and that only lasted one summer before I traded up to a ram. It wasn’t until I got the ram that I truly realized how uncomfortable it was. I’ve since jumped up to a 3/4 ton ram and imagine 3000qb. If you’re it against possibly needing a new truck sooner rather that later than go for the trailer you want. Also i did not miss the Tacoma after I traded it. Pretty useless truck. My ram got almost the same gas mileage with all the power comfort you could want. The Tacoma looks good and pulls small trailers but is pretty much a car.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife's vehicle is a 2016 Tacoma double cab with 6' bed. TRD Sport, 4WD. Payload per door sticker is 950 lbs. I forget what tow capacity is, but it doesn't matter cause as many above have said, payload is the killer. Plus, her Tacoma has rear drum brakes. We often pick up livestock feed in 50 lb bags. If we put 300 to 400 lbs of feed in the bed of her truck, the rear squats noticeably. Granted, she does have an ARE shell with a Thule roof box on top of that, so maybe ~300 lbs. Once, while I was out of town with my truck, she had to pull one of our smaller steel tandem axle horse trailers (~3000 lbs) over to a neighbors farm about 10 miles away. She called me from the road saying it felt like she had the emergency brake on. I asked her to make sure the breakaway cable and box were connected and working, thinking maybe the trailer brakes were engaged. All checked out fine there. She made it there and back okay, but did remark it got a little hairy when she was trying to stop in a hurry after almost missing the neighbor's driveway. Can the Tacoma tow it? Yes. Can it do it safely? No. Is there left over payload for gear? Only if its 2 down-filled sleeping bags.

By the way, I have heard from numerous dealers over the years that whatever TV I had at the time could pull whatever they were trying to sell me with no problem. Whenever I mentioned actual payload numbers, their eyes rolled, then glassed over. YMMV.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast