User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tacoma vs 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martybhawk View Post
    After doing some more research on this forum and other places, we decided to upgrade our tow vehicle to a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT. It has a tow capacity of 9300, integrated trailer brakes, additional trans and oil cooler and some other towing specific electronics. Several dealers said I could tow with my Canyon but it would be "borderline". Although the 100 mile pull home from the dealer seemed fine, I began to think more and more about just being "borderline", especially thinking about cross country trips and pulling in mountain regions. We were both very nervous the whole trip home. We did not want to travel to our camping destinations feeling nervous the whole time. We have taken 2 trips with our new Sierra and it pulls and handles that size trailer with ease. I love our new setup, there is no worry about towing capacity and we have considerably more room and comfort. I have an Undercover Ultra Flex truck bed cover and carry a lot of our camping stuff in it. The GMC MultiPro tailgate and Helping Handle makes loading and unloading the truck bed a breeze, especially for a 68 year old youngster like myself.

Bottom Line - My advice, get a bigger truck for the safety and peace of mind. I loved my Canyon but I like this Sierra so much better. Let us know what you decide.

Happy Camping
    You will not regret making the change to a bigger truck. I have the 2018 Crew Cab GMC equivalent with the 6.2L 4x4...and it has worked awesome for us. Average about 11-12 towing, which I don't think is too bad. The only down side (if you consider it a down side) is that I have to use premium fuel....but for me its a good trade off to have 420hp available
    Roger & Debbie
    2020 XLE 22 MLE
    2021 Chevy 1500 LTZ 4x4
    Crew Cab with, 6.2L V8 With HD Tow Pkg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m glad I read this post, I think I’m going purchase the 17MKE instead. Want to be safe. I have a car trailer that I’ve pulled with 5000 lbs total, did not have a problem. I worry more about the length then the weight. But doing both makes me worry even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamsden View Post
    I’m glad I read this post, I think I’m going purchase the 17MKE instead. Want to be safe. I have a car trailer that I’ve pulled with 5000 lbs total, did not have a problem. I worry more about the length then the weight. But doing both makes me worry even more.

You will be towing at around 90% of your trucks capacity which from what I've read is not recommended. Going from memory I think the maximum should be no more than 80% of the trucks towing capacity and many suggest closer to 60%. It's not a matter of whether your truck will pull the trailer, it will, but how safe are you, your passengers, and others on the road. Consider a different trailer or a bigger truck. When faced with a similar decision I opted for a bigger truck. Just my opinion and you know what they say about their worth.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GaryS1964,

What are your weights when loaded up on the 17MKE? My wife and I have the same tow vehicle and are trying to figure out how much payload we will have to spare. We pick ours up here in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcramer View Post
    GaryS1964,

What are your weights when loaded up on the 17MKE? My wife and I have the same tow vehicle and are trying to figure out how much payload we will have to spare. We pick ours up here in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!
    The nearest CAT scale is about a hour away so I haven't weighed my rig yet. I put everything in plastic bins and I weighed each of them so I'm confident I'm not overweight. I borrowed my brother in law's tongue scale and my tongue weight was high, about 960 lbs, so I moved a couple of heavy boxes to the truck bed. There is just the wife and I so with what's in the bed and adding the tongue weight I estimate I've used about 1700 lbs of cargo capacity so I only have about 40 lbs to spare. Truck payload is the limiting factor with the F150 and the 17MKE's heavy tongue weight.

I doubt I have more than 800 lbs of cargo in the trailer when fully loaded for a trip. I carry a few gallons of fresh water and a few gallons of water in the black tank when traveling but no more than 100 lbs combined. So I'm well under the trailers cargo capacity. It will be interesting to see the numbers when I actually weigh the rig. Hopefully I will have over estimated my rig's weight.

I more concerned about weight distribution so I'll be curious to see the weight of my trucks front and rear axles with trailer not attached and then attached with my Anderson hitch.

If you are not aware of it here is a link to the Ford Vehicle Specific Calculator. https://fordfleetlive.com/#/VinCalculator It tells you your vehicle's numbers and allows you to enter truck cargo weight and weight information about your trailer.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the 17MKE weight is 4700 dry, GMC Canyon says payload is 1600, max towing is 7000. I’ve taken it out 3 times. Added a distribution hitch. Pulls it just fine.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234