Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axle Hub Temps

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axle Hub Temps

Just took my 2020 21bhe in for some warranty work, approx 50 miles to the dealer from my house. Ambient temp was in the high 70s. When I arrived at the dealer I checked the hub temps with my infrared thermometer and 3 of the 4 hubs were between 156 and 166 and one was at 107. Trailer has less than 2000 miles on it.

First trip we took last fall had front axle hubs running around 180 and the rear hubs around 80. Had a shop check for sufficient grease, spindle nuts properly tightened, and brake adjustment and they said the only thing they found was front brakes were not adjusted properly and adjusted them.

Took the trailer in for warranty work at the end of last season for some warranty work and they discovered that rear axle brakes weren't connected at all and fixed that. Picked up the trailer and brought home at the end of Feb and axle temps were all well under 100. Yesterday was the first time the trailer has been towed since then and temps are high again.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the trailer level when hitched up - in other words, same amount of weight on front and rear axles?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    Just took my 2020 21bhe in for some warranty work, approx 50 miles to the dealer from my house. Ambient temp was in the high 70s. When I arrived at the dealer I checked the hub temps with my infrared thermometer and 3 of the 4 hubs were between 156 and 166 and one was at 107. Trailer has less than 2000 miles on it.

First trip we took last fall had front axle hubs running around 180 and the rear hubs around 80. Had a shop check for sufficient grease, spindle nuts properly tightened, and brake adjustment and they said the only thing they found was front brakes were not adjusted properly and adjusted them.

Took the trailer in for warranty work at the end of last season for some warranty work and they discovered that rear axle brakes weren't connected at all and fixed that. Picked up the trailer and brought home at the end of Feb and axle temps were all well under 100. Yesterday was the first time the trailer has been towed since then and temps are high again.

Any thoughts?
    As you have found, I suspect your lower temp is due to a brake not working or not working as hard as the others. If you can, jack up the wheels an spin the wheels to rule out significant differences in the spindle nut torque/bearing drag. You can also pull the emergency brake pin and use a torques wrench to get a rough idea of the braking force.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Is the trailer level when hitched up - in other words, same amount of weight on front and rear axles?

Rob
    Trailer is level, but don't know about weight as I haven't weighed it yet.

The thing that bugs me is I have a boat with dual axle trailer with surge brakes that weighs as much as my Imagine and the hubs are never more than barely warm to the touch so it makes me think there is something seriously not right when I've seen temps as high as 180.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    As you have found, I suspect your lower temp is due to a brake not working or not working as hard as the others. If you can, jack up the wheels an spin the wheels to rule out significant differences in the spindle nut torque/bearing drag. You can also pull the emergency brake pin and use a torques wrench to get a rough idea of the braking force.

Chris
    I'll have to try that once I get it back from the dealer. Thanks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any thoughts?
    hose temps do seem high to me. Just as a point of reference (for what it is worth), I routinely measure the temps on my Solitude 310GK with an IR thermometer. I typically have a little over 11,000# (11.1~11.5k) on the axles. I typically measure the temps at the first stop, ~2 to 2-1/2 Hr of freeway driving. I measure the wheel web (spoke) just inside the lug nut (towards the hub) for the hub temps. This will include some heating from the brakes (stopping). I typically see around 125~130 deg F. I have never seen over 135 deg F (Az in 100+ air temp). I typically see all four hubs within +/- a couple (5 max) degrees. The sun or wind (if significant and consistent (i.e. Wyoming!!!)) will add about 5 deg F to one side.

Hope this helps

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waiting to get the unit back from the dealer (hopefully won't take 3 months again this time like it did last fall). I've been exploring the option of converting to disc brakes as that would give me new hubs, bearings and better brakes but it appears kodiak doesn't make disc brakes for the dexter 3k axles that are on my 21bhe. So far the only option I've found is to replace the 3k axles with 3.5k axles and then convert the 3.5k axle to disc brakes. Anyone aware of an alternative?

I've been fighting high hub temps for a week short of a year now and still hasn't been resolved and warranty runs out in a few more days. I called dexter today and they said they consider temps between 140 and 180 to be "normal" and don't worry about it until it hits 200. SKF states 180 is max. I'm guessing the chinese bearings are probably not that high. Unless the dealer finds and resolves the problem this time I'm thinking switching to discs is the path of least resistance to fixing the problem once and for all.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe you can get complete Dexter axles equipped with disk brakes (or disk brake ready) - no need to get the drums and convert.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I believe you can get complete Dexter axles equipped with disk brakes (or disk brake ready) - no need to get the drums and convert.
    Yes. Just got a quote from an axle company in Elkhart IN. For about 3200 they would put new 3.5k axles and springs with disc brakes on my trailer. Probably worth doing just for the added safety and convenience of having disc brakes.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes. Just got a quote from an axle company in Elkhart IN. For about 3200 they would put new 3.5k axles and springs with disc brakes on my trailer. Probably worth doing just for the added safety and convenience of having disc brakes.
    Dont forget you will need all the plumbing and equipment to operate the disk brakes.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast