Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Axle Hub Temps

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Dont forget you will need all the plumbing and equipment to operate the disk brakes.
    Yup. The quote included all that and installation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    Just took my 2020 21bhe in for some warranty work, approx 50 miles to the dealer from my house. Ambient temp was in the high 70s. When I arrived at the dealer I checked the hub temps with my infrared thermometer and 3 of the 4 hubs were between 156 and 166 and one was at 107. Trailer has less than 2000 miles on it.

First trip we took last fall had front axle hubs running around 180 and the rear hubs around 80. Had a shop check for sufficient grease, spindle nuts properly tightened, and brake adjustment and they said the only thing they found was front brakes were not adjusted properly and adjusted them.

Took the trailer in for warranty work at the end of last season for some warranty work and they discovered that rear axle brakes weren't connected at all and fixed that. Picked up the trailer and brought home at the end of Feb and axle temps were all well under 100. Yesterday was the first time the trailer has been towed since then and temps are high again.

Any thoughts?
    On our first camper I had issues with high temps on the wheels. Three of the four wheels would get extremely hot. You couldn't touch them. I carried it in for service they jacked it up and spun the wheels forward and activated the brakes then spun them backwards and said nothing was wrong. I carried it back home and temps were smoking hot. I called Dexter and told them what was going on and they told me to take it back to the dealer. Being the dealer was over 50 miles away I told them I was not going to drag it back over there. They told me of a trailer dealer about 20 miles from home I could take it to that sold Dexter parts. The guy figured out the brakes were not releasing all the way unless the wheel rotated backwards just slightly before going forward. So when I was on a slight incline and let off the brake theTV would move backwards just slightly and the brakes would release. On level ground they didn't fully release. Anyway Dexter reimbursed me for the new wheel cylinders plus the $120 the camper dealer charged to tell me there was nothing wrong . They said since they didn't find anything warranty didn't cover their time.
    Last edited by RobW-NC; 08-19-2020 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    2019 F350 Lariat Super Duty 6.7L Diesel SRW 4X4 with puck system
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW-NC View Post
    On our first camper I had issues with high temps on the wheels. Three of the four wheels would get extremely hot. You couldn't touch them. I carried it in for service they jacked it up and spun the wheels forward and activated the brakes then spun them backwards and said nothing was wrong. I carried it back home and temps were smoking hot. I called Dexter and told them what was going on and they told me to take it back to the dealer. Being the dealer was over 50 miles away I told them I was not going to drag it back over there. They told me of a trailer dealer about 20 miles from home I could take it to that sold Dexter parts. The guy figured out the brakes were not releasing all the way unless the wheel rotated backwards just slightly before going forward. So when I was on a slight incline and let off the brake theTV would move backwards just slightly and the brakes would release. On level ground they didn't fully release. Anyway Dexter reimbursed me for the new wheel cylinders plus the $120 the camper dealer charged to tell me there was nothing wrong . They said since they didn't find anything warranty didn't cover their time.
    That's the first explanation I've heard that makes sense to me because of the fact that the high temp condition isn't consistent. Thanks for the info.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I may ask, what brand and model of inferred guns are you using to take the temp readings. I need (well want ) to get one.

Thanks Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    If I may ask, what brand and model of inferred guns are you using to take the temp readings. I need (well want ) to get one.

Thanks Keith
    I'm using a craftsman that I bought a long time ago back when craftsman was still a sears brand.

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-infr...p-03482327000P

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a mastercraft

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12