User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing with tanks partially full

Another TT newb question. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I've not been able to find it.

We're taking our Imagine 2500 RL on a multi-day travel trip and I wanted to know if there are any concerns about towing with the tanks partially full. It'll be two days of approx 9 hours of driving each if you include lunch and bathroom stops. I was thinking of pre-treating the black tank before we even leave home so we could use the toilet between stops. That means putting a couple of gallons of water and a treatment packet in the black tank. We'd also want a couple of gallons in the fresh tank for flushing the toilet and washing hands.

Are there any concerns in doing that? I don't think the additional weight will put me over any limits of the trailer or tow vehicle. We're probably only talking about 10-20 gallons total. We've only had the trailer for a few months and IIRC the dealership told us we should tow with the tanks empty but seems counter-intuitive.

FWIW the tow vehicle is an F150 with 10500 lbs towing and payload of 2200.

TIA
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post
    Another TT newb question. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I've not been able to find it.

We're taking our Imagine 2500 RL on a multi-day travel trip and I wanted to know if there are any concerns about towing with the tanks partially full. It'll be two days of approx 9 hours of driving each if you include lunch and bathroom stops. I was thinking of pre-treating the black tank before we even leave home so we could use the toilet between stops. That means putting a couple of gallons of water and a treatment packet in the black tank. We'd also want a couple of gallons in the fresh tank for flushing the toilet and washing hands.

Are there any concerns in doing that? I don't think the additional weight will put me over any limits of the trailer or tow vehicle. We're probably only talking about 10-20 gallons total. We've only had the trailer for a few months and IIRC the dealership told us we should tow with the tanks empty but seems counter-intuitive.

TIA
    I can't address the weight part, but there's no issue towing with water in the tanks (fresh or black). A gallon of water weighs approximately 8 1/2 pounds, so 10-20 gallons would add around 85-170 pounds to your trailer weight.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIA
    I never leave either my black or grey tanks empty. After I drain and flush I add water and treatment.
    Neil and Joyce Anderson
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 29G
    2010 F350SD Dually / 2019 Harley Ultra Limited (Mine) / 2016 Harley Street Glide (Wife's)
    Might get to retire someday if we ever stop spending money!!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIA
    That's how we travel, I prep the black and grey with the geo method and put in close to 1/3 fresh. Have you hit a cat scale to see where you stand weight wise when pack to camp?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With leaving a little water (I also normally do the 1/3 tank) if you use the bathroom when traveling you can then flush the toilet.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right or wrong. I started to travel with full fresh water tank. Black tank is always prepared. However watch your weights so your not over capacity of the tow vehicle or camper
    2018 3500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB
    2014 2500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB(sold)
    Pullrite 2700 Autoslider
    Timbrens
    2018 28bh 5th wheel
    X23B Jayco (sold)
    1991 Pop-up (sold)
    Tent (might bring along so I know what camping is like again)