User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    droidguru

Kidde Recalls Disposable Plastic Fire Extinguishers Due to Failure to Discharge

I actually picked two of these up for our rig/truck at HD as they were on sale. Never had to use one though (knock on wood).

Thought I would post it here in case someone did the same.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/...Extinguishers/

This recall involves 31 models of Kidde disposable fire extinguishers with Zytel® black plastic valves. The recalled extinguishers are red, white or silver and are either ABC or BC rated. The ratings can be found to the right of the nameplate. Manufacture dates included in the recall are July 23, 2013 through October 15, 2014. A 10-digit date code is stamped on the side of the cylinder, near the bottom. Digits five through nine represent the day and year of manufacture in DDDYY format. Date codes for recalled units manufactured in 2013 are XXXX 20413 X through XXXX 36513 X and 2014 are XXXX 00114 X through XXXX 28814 X. A nameplate affixed to the front of the fire extinguisher has one of the following model numbers:

10BC
    1A 10BC
    1A 10BCW
    2A10BC
    5BC
    5BCW
    FA10G
    FA110
    FA5B
    FC10
    FC110
    FC5
    FH/ RESSP
    FX10
    FX10BC
    FX10K
    FX210
    FX210R
    FX210W
    FX340GW
    FX340SC
    FX5II
    KFH Twin
    M110 Twin
    M5 Twin
    Mariner 10
    Mariner 110
    Mariner 5
    Mariner 5 G
    RESSP
    XL 5MR
    Incidents/Injuries

Kidde has received 11 reports of the recalled fire extinguishers failing to discharge as expected. No injuries have been reported.
    Remedy

Consumers should immediately contact Kidde for a replacement fire extinguisher.
    Sold at Home Depot, Menards, Walmart and other department, home and hardware stores nationwide, and online from August 2013 through November 2014 for between $18 and $65, and about $200 for model XL 5MR.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My camper's in storage at this time. Are these the fire extinguishers that come with the camper? Thanks.

droidguru
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    My camper's in storage at this time. Are these the fire extinguishers that come with the camper? Thanks.
    The one that came with my 2015 reflection is not on this recall list. However we went to HD and bought two of these because it was the only one they had that was ABC and would fit in the same place using the same hardware to have as a back-up which we store in the exterior after we watched a precarious situation involving a neighbors awning and a fire ring that was lets say a little too close and a fire that was a little two high. This also reaffirmed my thoughts that you should need two forms of ID when purchasing industrial sized lighter fluid. I love camping, and the majority of people we meet/camp with have common sense but then there is let's call him Wally. Wally means well but trouble follows him where ever he goes. Stay tuned for my children's camping themed board book series. Wally doesn't look when he backs up and Wally says who needs tire chocks......

Not sure if others did the same so I posted it here. Long shot I know but better to be safe then sorry I guess since I'm fairly certain 99.9% of use keep extinguishes in our rigs.......at least I hope.