Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrade CRE3000 to SRE4000, worth it?

In my never ending quest to get a better ride, I was wondering if upgrading my CRE3000 which came from the factory on my 351M to the SRE4000 might provide a better towing experience. Does the SRE4000 add height over a CRE? It looks higher/bigger, but that could just be the pictures. I was looking at the x-factor braces when I started this thought, and realized that the SRE kit comes with an x-factor, so that makes it like 300 bucks to do the swap over what just the brace costs.

Anyone ever do this? Worth it? Did it add height to the trailer?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I've read about anyone going from CRE3000 to SRE4000. You can buy the x factor braces individually, so maybe you should start there. I upgraded my LCI equaflex to CRE3000, I chose the 3000 over the 4000 since the 3000 can handle up to 8k axles whereas the 4000 cant. I have 7k axles, but figured the 3000 must be beefier if it can handle a larger axle. My other reason for the 3000 over 4000 was the 4000 adds 1" to your overall height, I'm already at 13' 5" I dont need extra height and that could potentially decrease my bed rail clearance; my hitch is already at the highest setting it can go.

I'm not sure you would notice any difference by swapping to the 4000, but the x factor might be a good starting point. I opted not to do x factor because 2 of my connection points are blocked by my rear sewer pipe and I didnt know how effective a half installed system would work out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, thanks FT4.

I'm really curious what you said about bed rail clearance, one of my goals with the SRE would be to get a little more height for, what sounds to me, exactly the same issue where you don't want more height?! If I could add an in to the trailer that would give me more clearance, not less, right?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it depends where you are starting from, referring to the clearance. For example, if you are already level, which in my case I am, and you add height to the rear of the trailer it would cause the nose to be angled down slightly and that is where you would lose clearance. If you are sitting a little nose high, and then add height to the rear of the trailer it would level out the trailer and give you more clearance. So it really depends on what your current setup looks like to determine if the extra 1" will benefit you or not.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    In my never ending quest to get a better ride, I was wondering if upgrading my CRE3000 which came from the factory on my 351M to the SRE4000 might provide a better towing experience. Does the SRE4000 add height over a CRE? It looks higher/bigger, but that could just be the pictures. I was looking at the x-factor braces when I started this thought, and realized that the SRE kit comes with an x-factor, so that makes it like 300 bucks to do the swap over what just the brace costs.

Anyone ever do this? Worth it? Did it add height to the trailer?
    I'm in discussion with MorRyde as we speak. My ride with the CRE I installed is rougher than with the original OEM LCI EquaFlex. MorRyde said that shouldn't be the case, so they're recommending the SRE as an upgrade/replacement. The email said "... offer you the SRE as an upgrade. It has a full 4” of suspension travel, which is 1” more than the CRE."

I, too was concerned about the height increase with the SRE. Here's the MorRyde response: "After about the first 50-100 miles of run-in, the SRE would raise the trailer about 3/8” – ½”."

My new SRE's are being shipped Monday. If you can wait a couple of weeks, I'll give you my report card. We're camping again in two weeks.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steve, looking forward to hearing your experience!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been reading about all that have upgraded to CRE 3000 and Morryd's heavy duty shackle kit since we purchased our 2018 Solitude 300GK in Jan 2018. After so many positive comments, I finally decided it was time and ordered the CRE 3000 and Wetbolt with Heavy duty Shackles. I went ahead and added in the X factor Crossmember just because it was offered as a package. I spent time and due diligence finding a RV shop that I have confidence can do the swap expertly in my area. This morning I took my RV to the shop and backed it into a Bay that was cleared out for the job. I decided that I would hang around to watch as they got to the switch-out immediately. I was almost immediately shocked when they started removing the spring Wetbolts and one of the 1st spring eyebolts DID NOT even have a bushing. The remaining bushings were bronze I believe, BUT NOT Plastic as many have stated on this forum. I decided to replace my equiflex because I haven't been able to grease 4 of the wet bolts, and have even replaced the ZIRKS and used some safety wire to try and maybe dislodge a possible clog. I had to leave at that point, but I am going back to pick up my RV later when the job is completed. I have the DEXTER 7000 LB axels, so I would of thought all would be in good shape. The bronze bushings removed were not in bad shape but on that one spring, I only had three installed. Am just amazed at the lack of Quality control on what I would think is a major component.
    I have always been very happy with the overall workmanship on my Solitude. I have not had any problems with any systems as yet, however I do hope that when I go back to pick up my rig later today, I don't find out more surprises. I have traveled From Corpus Christi, Tx to Seattle, WA, and many other trips to Colorado and New Mexico, with this Solitude and not one failure of any kind. I understand that this is NOT a GRAND DESIGN issue, rather a DEXTER issue. It is rather alarming though when you hear about suspension failures or Spring Breakages. I am also concerned with the Hanger cracks that have been mentioned. We always travel light, only Black Tank hoses, water hoses, two lawn chairs and just a few tools for emergencies in the storage bays. Hoping that my light traveling has helped to not stress out the hangers too much. I have the bearings repacked yearly, as we live in the middle of Texas and 100 plus Temps are not uncommon. I am adding this comment because I am sure others are considering this same upgrade, and for the price, it might not be a bad idea, just so you have, Peace of mind knowing that everything dealing with your suspension is installed correctly, as this could be a major mishap at freeway speeds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mike and Jane, Two retired Educators/ One retired Army Aviator
    3 Mini Tri AUSIES
    2018 310 GK 2019 Chevy Duramax 3500 4W/D SRW L/B
    BW 18000 lb Hitch, BACKFLIP TONNAU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up my 310GK from Repair shop and all looked good. Was told there wasn't any other missing Bushings, and the replacement CRE3000 with Heavy Duty shackles and X Factor crossmember went smoothly. It turned out to be a Heavy rain day on my drive back to my Storage facility about 40 miles down I35 to Georgetown. The ride was super smooth, and I believe that I could feel the difference in the cab. I purposefully left a small piece of 1 x 3 of wood on the counter as you enter the RV and it was still there when I off loaded the RV at my site. I 35 going through Temple is not the smoothest stretch, and I was sure that small piece of wood would be on the floor when I opened the door. I think the ride is much smoother. Don't know that I would trust leaving a glass with my favorite beverage, Rum & Coke, on the counter, but so far am very satisfied.
    Question to others having replaced their suspension. This particular shop removed the springs from the axels. Do the 4 nuts holding the springs need to be RETORQED after a specific number of miles? Just curious if I should check them periodically. I watched plenty of videos on replacing the shackles, and none actually removed the springs. This was a surprise, and am just curious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3 Mini Tri AUSIES

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Cav Duke View Post
    Picked up my 310GK from Repair shop and all looked good. Was told there wasn't any other missing Bushings, and the replacement CRE3000 with Heavy Duty shackles and X Factor crossmember went smoothly. It turned out to be a Heavy rain day on my drive back to my Storage facility about 40 miles down I35 to Georgetown. The ride was super smooth, and I believe that I could feel the difference in the cab. I purposefully left a small piece of 1 x 3 of wood on the counter as you enter the RV and it was still there when I off loaded the RV at my site. I 35 going through Temple is not the smoothest stretch, and I was sure that small piece of wood would be on the floor when I opened the door. I think the ride is much smoother. Don't know that I would trust leaving a glass with my favorite beverage, Rum & Coke, on the counter, but so far am very satisfied.
    Question to others having replaced their suspension. This particular shop removed the springs from the axels. Do the 4 nuts holding the springs need to be RETORQED after a specific number of miles? Just curious if I should check them periodically. I watched plenty of videos on replacing the shackles, and none actually removed the springs. This was a surprise, and am just curious.
    The nuts shouldn't need to be retorqued. The ones that come with the heavy duty shackle kit are torqued to 40 ft-lbs if I remember and are distorting lock nuts, one time use on them.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks FT4NOW. Yes those nuts on the Shackles are torqued to 40 ft lbs. I was more concerned with the torquing of the 4 nuts attached to the U Bolts holding the springs to the Axels. I was really surprised when the shop removed the first spring and found the one bushing missing. I watched many videos of replacing shackles and they didn't remove the Springs, so that was concerning. The shop did say that they inspect the springs, and clean the eyelets thoroughly prior to installing the New Bushings, then reattach the springs to the Axels. I just want to be sure those Nuts don't come loose. I believe those U Bolt nuts are Torqued to 90 ft lbs. Maybe I am being Anal. I don't have the Jack stands to properly support the Rig, but I do have the tools including a Proper Torque wrench. Just to make myself feel better, I may just crawl under the rig tomorrow and check the Torque on those Ubolt Nuts. When I went to pick up the rig, they were just greasing the Wet Bolts. They wanted me to see that they were now accepting grease. I appreciated that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3 Mini Tri AUSIES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast