User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Member looking for advice - 22MLE

We are looking at trading our Jayco 21QB for a GD 22 MLE. We like the option of having the slide with the extra space and having the dinette as well an the chairs. Also the storage is amazing in these things. Are there any issues with the Grand Design trailers I should be aware or any known issues with the 22 MLE. We have an F150 5.0 V8 but the gearing is only the 3.31. The 22 MLE is not a lot heavier (600LBS) than our Jayco so I think we should be OK. So far all of our camping is within a 2 to 3 hour drive so we do not tow a lot of miles. Would be interested to hear how these tow with half tons.

Thanks
    RDG

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome, I'm sure you'll get more advice than you wanted. But in the mean time if you scroll down the forum list you'll find a section on Tow Vehicles that will provide you with many hours of reading and learning. Also in our Reference section there is a posting on figuring your correct tow capacity
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RDG470 View Post
    We are looking at trading our Jayco 21QB for a GD 22 MLE. We like the option of having the slide with the extra space and having the dinette as well an the chairs. Also the storage is amazing in these things. Are there any issues with the Grand Design trailers I should be aware or any known issues with the 22 MLE. We have an F150 5.0 V8 but the gearing is only the 3.31. The 22 MLE is not a lot heavier (600LBS) than our Jayco so I think we should be OK. So far all of our camping is within a 2 to 3 hour drive so we do not tow a lot of miles. Would be interested to hear how these tow with half tons.

Thanks
    RDG
    Welcome to the forum!

This forum has many 22mle owners. We got ours in Nov ‘19. Had two issues; factory accidentally installed 15A main breaker instead of 30A. Dealer fixed it. Second was one recliner did not vibrate. With help from this forum I found where a wire was broken and fixed it myself.

We really like the unit, has plenty of windows, open floor plan, and feels bigger when inside than it is.

No trouble towing with our truck. Went to a CAT scale awhile back and trailer came in about ~5600#. Tongue weight about ~660#. We packed light and didn’t have any fresh water in the tank. Wife saw we have extra space and is now adding stuff.... Will revisit scales again later.

Do a search in the upper right of the page on 22mle. You’ll get plenty to read.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

This forum has many 22mle owners. We got ours in Nov ‘19. Had two issues; factory accidentally installed 15A main breaker instead of 30A. Dealer fixed it. Second was one recliner did not vibrate. With help from this forum I found where a wire was broken and fixed it myself.

We really like the unit, has plenty of windows, open floor plan, and feels bigger when inside than it is.

No trouble towing with our truck. Went to a CAT scale awhile back and trailer came in about ~5600#. Tongue weight about ~660#. We packed light and didn’t have any fresh water in the tank. Wife saw we have extra space and is now adding stuff.... Will revisit scales again later.

Do a search in the upper right of the page on 22mle. You’ll get plenty to read.
    Hahaha, my wife also saw our last Cat Scale results and realised that she could pack more. Lol

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RDG470 View Post

Thanks
    RDG
    We got ours last June and really love. Love the fact that the TT is 100% functional with the slide in. Dinette plus theater sitting in a 22ft tt is rare. Wife and both cook together and this kitchen is big enough for us both at the same time. Bathroom could be a little wider but that not a big deal and would consume kitchen space. Plantyyyyyy of storage. Last we hit the scale we were loaded for camping, 1/3 fresh water.... we were at 5960 and tongue weight at 760. Towing with F150 Lariat Screw 2.7 EB no problem. Have since added a 2 bike rack in the back for our next trip. Geny is always in the box and beverage cooler in the fack seat. We've had real minor issues which are being addressed by GD without any fuss.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been very happy with our 22mle, there was a few minor issues but I fixed them myself rather than going to the dealer.
    The only two small complaints I have are not with GD but their suppliers, one the range top steel grate is very slick and your pots and pans can slide around, so I ordered the cast iron grates and solved that problem. The second gripe is the loud fan noise from the refrigerator which I will replace with a quieter more efficient one when time permits.
    As far as pulling with a half ton, we live in the mountains at about 3500 feet above sea level and have plenty of power climbing 7% grades.
    2020 IMAGINE XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMac View Post
    ....The second gripe is the loud fan noise from the refrigerator which I will replace with a quieter more efficient one when time permits.
    That fridge fan is noisy. Replaced ours with two fans and now I can’t hear them.
    Original was a single ADDA 25dBA, 30CFM, 2500rpm
    New ones are Pure Wings 2, 92mm, BL045, 18.6dBA, 33.15CFM, 1900rpm. They fit right in the existing holes perfectly.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    That fridge fan is noisy. Replaced ours with two fans and now I can’t hear them.
    Original was a single ADDA 25dBA, 30CFM, 2500rpm
    New ones are Pure Wings 2, 92mm, BL045, 18.6dBA, 33.15CFM, 1900rpm. They fit right in the existing holes perfectly.
    Thanks for the info, may I ask where you purchased the fans?
    2020 IMAGINE XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMac View Post
    Thanks for the info, may I ask where you purchased the fans?
    Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/quiet-Case-Fa.../dp/B00IOIKG68

These are 3-pin fans, original is 2-pin. New ones are all black wires. I cut connector off, stripped wire ends then held them onto my truck’s battery to see which is ground, hot, speed control (3rd pin). The connector has a marking for each wire. If I remember correctly, ground marking is a solid dash and hot was the middle wire. I tapped off the speed control wire. I then cut and reused the 2-pin original red/black wire connector. A few wire nuts, some electrical tape, a few zip ties, and two screws from the tool box did it.

I then put upper vent back in place, turned fridge on with trailer level and came back in an hour or two to check and they were on.

Make sure fans are facing the right direction, see photo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD458AB6-4DF9-4974-8D31-A748D4845CD0.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	28619
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid