User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Yup... Another Norcold 2118 refrigerator post

The issues with this refrigerator are well documented, so I won't go into too many details.

However a recent trip to Virginia a couple weeks ago and we lost nearly $150 worth of food.
    Yes, it was hot out (100+) and the fridge just couldn't keep up. It was in the lower 50s, freezer was roughly 25.

The cooling capacity of this refrigerator is insufficient... I know there are some who's fridge works OK.
    There are MANY that don't.

I've gone through the usual troubleshooting (Level, Door flap, exhaust fan in the slide, etc.) to no avail.

I ordered a DC compressor cooling unit from JC Refrigeration. Should receive on Monday and will do the install next weekend.
    Any tips out there??? I've seen a few youtube videos and looks pretty strait forward.
    I'm running a dedicated 10 gauge wire for the 12V to prevent a common voltage drop issue.
    They've received many great reviews, so fingers crossed.

Shame on Norcold for this really poor design.
    Shame on GD for not doing proper testing.
    Shame on GD for not providing adequate ventilation when fridge is installed in a slide.
    Shame on me for not doing more homework before the purchase.

I know many manufactures use this fridge, and these issues are documented in many places.

Word to the wise.... Watch your fridge temps.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Sorry to hear about your issues. Been there, lived thru it too.

So, here’s two things that I’ve done that have made huge performance changes in ours.

1. You need air circulation inside the fridge. Especially when there’s allot of food. But one or even two fridge fans. But, the best thing is to get a dual set of fans from eBay that clip onto the fins. This moves air across the fins which exchanges the hot air to cold.

2. Get a 12v temp controller from amazon for less than $20, and get up to 3 12v 4” fans. I put these fans on the top fridge outside cover. They blow air through the cover to the outside. Thus, they pull the air up through the fridge compartment and expels the hot air through the top vent as it should. Hot air gets trapped up there directly where the heat exchanger coils are. The temp controller has a thermometer that you place up top. It Hicks the fans off and on.

Now, my fridge runs so much better. Sometimes down to 31F.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 45coltnut View Post
    So, here’s two things that I’ve done that have made huge performance changes in ours.
    1. You need air circulation inside the fridge. Especially when there’s allot of food. But one or even two fridge fans. But, the best thing is to get a dual set of fans from eBay that clip onto the fins. This moves air across the fins which exchanges the hot air to cold.
    2. Get a 12v temp controller from amazon for less than $20, and get up to 3 12v 4” fans. I put these fans on the top fridge outside cover. They blow air through the cover to the outside. Thus, they pull the air up through the fridge compartment and expels the hot air through the top vent as it should. Hot air gets trapped up there directly where the heat exchanger coils are. The temp controller has a thermometer that you place up top. It Hicks the fans off and on.
    Thank you, and appreciate the ideas. Hopefully they can help others as well.
    I've completely abandoned the factory cooling unit and the compressor is on the way.

Quick ??? for you. Did your fridge already have the fan blowing into the fins from the factory? Mine has one in the fridge blowing into the left side of the fins.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=bfs673;312218I ordered a DC compressor cooling unit from JC Refrigeration. Should receive on Monday and will do the install next weekend.
    Any tips out there??? I've seen a few youtube videos and looks pretty strait forward.[/QUOTE]

It's heavy, ~half the weight is the cooling system.
    A small platform to match frig height may help when sliding it out of enclosure.
    If you search the internet for "Conversion of Dometic 1350 to Compressor" there's a post on how another owner did his.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, neither our Imagine or Reflection had any fins on the inside. There is one fan blowing up through the inside compartment between the top and bottom access panel. But it’s just not enough.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I just installed fans and the temp controller. Can you share with me the settings you have on your temp controller, i.e. the fan on and fan off temps?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I just installed fans and the temp controller. Can you share with me the settings you have on your temp controller, i.e. the fan on and fan off temps?

I installed my fans about 6 in away from the coils at the top. This pulls hot air away from the coils but probably does little to get it out the vent. The openings are so small on the vent cover that I just don't know how you can move much hot air out without modifying the cover (as others on the forum have). I've got some 60 mm fans I may try on the vent cover in addition.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think mine kicks on at 100 and off at 90.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post

I installed my fans about 6 in away from the coils at the top. This pulls hot air away from the coils but probably does little to get it out the vent. The openings are so small on the vent cover that I just don't know how you can move much hot air out without modifying the cover (as others on the forum have). I've got some 60 mm fans I may try on the vent cover in addition.
    Are you guys installing a temp controller for the aftermarket fans you installed? I installed my and wired them directly to the 12 volt source. They run 24/7. They are computer fans so they are design to last for a long time. I've been tinkering with computers for 30 plus years and i can't remember a computer fan failing.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Titan brand twin 120mm fan kit that comes with a controller that you mount inside the trailer....on a wall or cabinet net to the fridge. It has an auto mode and a manual mode and six speeds, with it's own temperature sensor to be located in the compartment area behind the fridge. It comes on when the compartment is 68 degrees (on auto) and will increase the fan speed through six different speeds all the way up to max speed and CFM airflow. Very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by xrated; 08-09-2020 at 03:02 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast