User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hurricane Tested

Well I had to take my wife to Duke Hospital in Durham NC for a 3 day procedure on last Week so we took the trailer, and wouldn't you know it there was a Hurricane heading straight for us.
    We were hoping to get out of Durham before it got bad but that wasn't in the cards by the time she was released we were already getting rain bands from the storm. So we decided to stay the night rather than driving through squall lines and wind, I filled the tanks with water to give us a little heavier and lower center of gravity. We got about 4 inches of rain in 8 hours as the Hurricane passed over us and not one drop of water came inside, dry as a bone, although the rain came from many directions ( I was up at night with a flash light checking around the pop out, windows, roof hatches, and door). The front storage was also dry in the morning. I am very impressed with GD and we drove home the next day as if nothing had happened. WOW not your typical camping experience.
    2020 IMAGINE XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMac View Post
    Well I had to take my wife to Duke Hospital in Durham NC for a 3 day procedure on last Week so we took the trailer, and wouldn't you know it there was a Hurricane heading straight for us.
    We were hoping to get out of Durham before it got bad but that wasn't in the cards by the time she was released we were already getting rain bands from the storm. So we decided to stay the night rather than driving through squall lines and wind, I filled the tanks with water to give us a little heavier and lower center of gravity. We got about 4 inches of rain in 8 hours as the Hurricane passed over us and not one drop of water came inside, dry as a bone, although the rain came from many directions ( I was up at night with a flash light checking around the pop out, windows, roof hatches, and door). The front storage was also dry in the morning. I am very impressed with GD and we drove home the next day as if nothing had happened. WOW not your typical camping experience.
    First, 3 day procedure. I sure hope she is doing ok. Second, holly molly. Good thinking filling up the water tank. Was the slide kept in? Sure glad everything turned out good. I would have also been up all night checking everything. Must of been a little nerve racking.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMac View Post
    Glad everything is alright and you made it home safely.

Each time it rains I’m in the trailer with a flashlight looking for water but have not found any!
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CaptMac,

Here’s hoping all went well with your wife’s procedure.

You’re a braver person than I. After personally experiencing the effects of Hurricane Andrew, Floyd, Charley, Irma, Wilma we evacuate. I would never stay in an RV during a Hurricane,

I’m glad you and your trailer did fine.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story CaptMac and glad it turned out well with the missus and the trailer. I got caught in Hanna driving back from S Padre Island last month. We go down for a week every summer and stay in a condo, the KOA down there is way to crowded. Left on Saturday morning, here's a pic of us in Harlingen after eating breakfast, you can see what I'm about to drive into! 2nd pic is just outside of the Sarita border patrol station, 70 mph crosswind from the right and pouring! We were in my Explorer and it handled it fine. These hurricanes are nasty!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hanna (2).png 
Views:	7 
Size:	369.1 KB 
ID:	28620 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rain (2).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	28621
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear you’re OK and everything worked out for you. We actually had a severe thunderstorm lift our living room slide and blow rain in through the seals. The rain came in as a spray when it happened. It actually rocked the whole 5th wheel from side to side when it happened, and we thought we were going to flip. Not an experience I ever want to repeat...

Edit: That happened when I was in Memphis. Lately I’ve been mooch docking with my dad in North Carolina. So when I heard about that tropical storm coming, I couldn’t get the heck out of North Carolina fast enough. I spent a couple days in Tennessee while it passed.
    Last edited by chemist308; 08-08-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg