User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 2017 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost and 2017 Outdoor RV 23BHS and pulled it from Phoenix to Washington State during summer multiple times and everywhere in between including many CA trips. We found the F150 had plenty of power but still overheated the engine multiple times which led to premature destruction of the twin turbos at 70k miles. A lot of hills out here in the west. The bigger issue is the truck's rear suspension is too soft leading to a dipped backend and a raised front end leading to less than perfect control. We added an inexpensive spring kit to the rear of the truck which helped a lot. We upgraded to a 2019 F250 gas V8 and although the truck has roughly the same engine numbers it's weight, length, suspension and bigger brakes make a world of difference in control.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have the 2400BH and this particular trailer tends to be very light on tongue weight, so I don’t think you’ll have an issue there.

We work hard to move weight to the nose of our trailer - the pass through is full, we carry about 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fresh to try to move weight forward, and the storage area under the bed gets loaded with dry goods and assorted things for the campsite. We also put stuff on the bed and put all our clothes in the wardrobes beside the bed - all to move weight to the nose. Even with all that it’s a struggle to get to 12% tongue weight which equals about 850 pounds when we’re loaded for camping.

We don’t have your truck (ours is a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel) but the goal when we tow is to keep the axle weights well below their rating (3900 lbs front and rear) and make sure the WDH shifts enough weight to the front axle to get it very close to its unloaded weight and back to the trailer axles and therefore off the rear axle.

IMO the 2400BH is a good match for most 1/2 ton trucks. To the OP: You’ve done your homework and now understand the nuances of weight distribution, payload and towing capacity. Now it’s time to clear out space on your credit card for all the accessories out there for your trailer! 😉

Bob

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have nearly identical situation to the original poster, but with a 2800BH. I have a 2017 XLT 3.5 ecoboost with max tow. Pulling weight there is PLENTY of margin, it is the payload where you start to max out and have to do these calcs. I don't remember where I found it but there was a spreadsheet called GVWR-and-Payload-Calc.xlsx I found online that was a great starting point! I since enhanced it with a bunch of my own calculations but its great to get the re-assurance.

My payload starts with 1,669 limit. I have wife and 2 teen girls I put in 600 (for 4 of us). I have a shell (200lbs) and 2 dogs in the bed with the shell. Plus I typically load up the 36 gal tank (200lbs). The rest is for tongue weight and I usually load things like firewood in the back by the bunks and put bikes on a rack on back bumper (we modified to support a 4 bike rack). I have not had any problems braking or climbing and I have gone from Sacramento up to Bend, OR and down to San Diego, and over the summit to Tahoe.

That being said, my NEXT truck will be the hybrid powerboost (probably >200 lbs for the battery) 4x4 (another 200 lbs for 2nd axle drive) and I want a reflection TT some day. Before EVER driving it off the lot I am investing in one of those hitch weight scales so that I can check the dry tongue weight at the dealership (if they don't have one I will bring mine). It will be worth the investment for the peace of mind.

This is an example of what I'm thinking for tongue weight: https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/etrailer/e99044.html

And once a vehicle and trailer are already owned, there are options like this that plugs into the diagnostic port of your truck! Anyone have any idea how well these work?? https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Curt/C51701.html

-T

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daemonic3 View Post

And once a vehicle and trailer are already owned, there are options like this that plugs into the diagnostic port of your truck! Anyone have any idea how well these work?? https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Curt/C51701.html

-T

This OBDII tool has been out for a few years as Haul Gauge. The company has been purchased by Curt and rename to Better Weight. I have one and found it to be accurate within 3% of Cat Scale. Maybe 5 minutes to install and calibrate. It's become easier to use (calibrate) with updates in the application and they have added (activated) additional functions (WD settings, pin weight, trailer brake settings). It's a great tool to have in order to check out how you're loaded (piece of mind) each trip, if so inclined.

One example of how well it helps...I was letting the wife practice pulling the trailer in an empty parking lot and went to double check the TT brakes. Following BW's procedure, we set the control, roll out and manually applied the trailer brakes. Whole rig stopped long, but BW suggested setting to 6.5. Reset controller and tried again. BW suggested 10. Tried again, but TT would stop us long. Took the trailer in to have the brakes checked (2020 Imagine 2600RB purchased in late Nov 2019) and found grease on three brake sets (I never had used the axle lube port). Warranty out all the brakes and after retesting, the TT brakes are set at 5.5. Honestly if BW hadn't given me those readings, we might not have realized the trailer wasn't braking as expected until we serviced the bearings OR (worse) been unable to stop in time.

And I've used it to check real time payload weight when they loaded boxes of hardwood flooring. Lowes insisted I could haul 143 boxes (x53lb each) in one load. BW showed when I neared max load at 62. Truck is a 2019 F-150 Lariat w/5.0L and tow package. I made 2 trips without exceeding max payload and max rear axle. So it can be used other than towing a TT.

Tech support has been excellent. I had several issues when I first purchased it (as Haul Gauge) a few years ago and contacted them. The President of the company answered the phone and we walked through exactly what the issue was and how to fix it. When it turned out it was a glitch, he called back a few days later and told to load an update which took care of the problem. Honestly if BW hadn't given me those readings, we might not have realized the problem until we serviced the bearings OR (worse) been unable to stop in time.

Honestly, this is one tool I keep in the OBDII port full time. Just remember to remove and replace anytime you either take in the vehicle for a problem which requires access to the OBDII port or you access it yourself.

And while I love the 2019 F-150, I will be trading for a 2020 F250 diesel 2WD with max towing package in the first week of October.
    Last edited by more tired since retired; 08-22-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NDIrishLacross,

I have the same truck, I am assuming you also have the 20" wheels with the specs you listed above.
    I have a 2018 F-150 Lariat - 3.5 E/B, CC, s/b, max tow & cooling, 20" wheels, 1000K w/d sway hitch, also the ford spray in Bedliner which adds a couple more pounds.
    We just purchased and took delivery of a 2021 Imagine 2400BH in July. I was looking for my weight slip, but couldn't find it quickly to give you the actual factory weight.
    Anyway the truck will pull it just fine, our in pickup combined weight (2 adults,1 teen, animals) is 685lbs. the only thing I carry in the bed of the truck is old school wood for leveling (pieces of 2x6 and 1x6- maybe +50lbs.) Total = 735lbs.
    The things I carry in the front compartment are (30A electric cords x2, 25' F/W hose, 15' Black tank flush hose, 4 camp chairs, small rubbermaid table, plastic chocks, sewer hose support and hose adaptors, plastic 4' level, camp mat and the stabilizer crank tool & Equilizer bar tool)
    Food in the kit/liv. cabinets, clothes for front bedroom in cabinets, kids clothes and anything else will go under the bottom rear bunk or on the rear bunks, drinks in the rear outdoor kitchen compartment - or in a cooler in rear of camper(inside).
    The TT is level when W/D sway hitch is hooked up, rear of truck squats little but not bad - NO towing, sway or braking issues. I have not taken it to a scale to have it weighed yet, I need to get that done soon - Driving tractor trailers for over 40yrs - I have a feel for weights and weight distribution.
    Last weekend we drove from PA to NH with no issues roughly 900 mile R/T, the ride was smooth for the most part, obviously when we had rough roads, it got little bouncy, but you just have to keep in mind you are towing something behind you, and keep it slow, steady, and keep alert!!

Happy Travels for the future.

Tim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have missed it but are you always going on short trips? No mountain driving? Etc. I had the tail wag the dog. I bought my TT and my payload rating was 1680. Wife, kids, and the dogs (my kids are slightly older but planned for 140 lb growth.) Was about 900. Tongue weight for my 2800 put me close but under the rating.

I asked myself, "my family is in the car, do I want to be even close even if I am under on any of the ratings?"

Fyi, I have a 2500 Sierra now. Payload is about 3500. I no longer worry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 2018 F150 XLT with the 3.5 EB and a net payload capacity of 1779. I was very concerned about weights getting ready for our first long distance trip (a 3K mile trip to the west coast) with our 2400BH. I was using Haul Gauge but not getting consistent results that I was comfortable with. So I hitched up the TT with 20 gallons of fresh water aboard and most of what we would be taking on our trip, and made a run to the nearest CAT scales, went through the three weighings (with and without WDH load bars, truck only), and used the http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeigh...ailerCatScales calculators to run the numbers. I found I was nearly 900 lbs under the GVWR on the TT, plenty of head room on the truck axles, and a hitch weight of 740 lbs. Hitch weight ratio was 11.2%, so when I loaded up, I shifted some of the load to the front of the trailer. Needless to say, this led to much better sleep the night before we left, and. except for some wind issues showing that we do need to upgrade our Fastway 2 way equalizer hitch, the TT has pulled very well.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the exact same setup as you: same trailer (2020) and same truck (2017). With me, wife, and two teens and dog, I'm almost at my payload limit every time we go camp, so I just make sure to put as much in the trailer as possible, and i only put the Weber, some wood, and the bikes in the back of the truck. everything else goes in the trailer.
    You can adjust the WDH to put more weight on the front axle and trailer axles, just make sure you don't overload the front one.
    I've also added SumoSprings to help stiffen up the suspension on the back of the truck, I find it helps when towing, but makes it a bit bouncier when empty.
    I've also removed my 2x 12V lead acid batteries from the a-frame, and replaced them with a lithium in the storage bay. That alone helped save almost 100lbs off the tongue weight.
    Next step is to upgrade to LT tires, once these passenger tires wear out, which should be sometime next summer.
    2017 F150 Lariat 3.5 EB
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

retired: 2016 Starcraft 19BHS & 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and congrats on your purchase!!!! We are are not very experienced ourselves but I wanted to share our experience with you all. We own a 2020 2400BH and LOVE IT!!!! We do wish we had a bigger truck but sometimes we have to make due with what we have. Our TV is a 2015 Silverado 1500 Z-71. I, like you, did ALOT of reading here on these forums and quickly realized that your best bet is to take it to the scales for verification. For our setup, we are MAXED out. Plenty of room left with cargo, towing capacity is also in the green, our "redline" is GVWR. Here are my specs: GVWR - 7200LB ;; GAWR FRT and RR are 3950. CAT scales are Steer axle - 3540 ;; Drive axle - 3520 ;; Trailer axle - 5780 ;; total - 12840.

I may be wrong but I don't worry about 'cargo' weight for the tow vehicle as long as my axle ratings are within limit. same for GVWR. These numbers are with fresh tank full, propane full, TV fuel full, and we are fully loaded ready for a trip. We put EVERYTHING in the trailer and we are a family of 4, kids are 7 and 4. By these numbers we only have 140lbs of cushion!!! Other readers please feel to chime in, I would love verification that my interpretation of these numbers are correct. We do have a Reese W/D set up with 1K bars. We mainly do weekend trips at state parks here in Texas, so our trips are in the 2-4 hr driving range. Fuel consumption is KILLER!!!! We average 6 mpg with the 5.3L engine (stay in 4th gear, 3000 RPMS @70 MPH). Our little 26 gallon tank makes for lots of pit stops. Anyway that's my 2-cents for what its worth. I'm sure your family will love the new trailer and make lots of wonderful memories for years to come. Stay safe and ENJOY!!!!!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    Hello and congrats on your purchase!!!! We are are not very experienced ourselves but I wanted to share our experience with you all. We own a 2020 2400BH and LOVE IT!!!! We do wish we had a bigger truck but sometimes we have to make due with what we have. Our TV is a 2015 Silverado 1500 Z-71. I, like you, did ALOT of reading here on these forums and quickly realized that your best bet is to take it to the scales for verification. For our setup, we are MAXED out. Plenty of room left with cargo, towing capacity is also in the green, our "redline" is GVWR. Here are my specs: GVWR - 7200LB ;; GAWR FRT and RR are 3950. CAT scales are Steer axle - 3540 ;; Drive axle - 3520 ;; Trailer axle - 5780 ;; total - 12840.

I may be wrong but I don't worry about 'cargo' weight for the tow vehicle as long as my axle ratings are within limit. same for GVWR. These numbers are with fresh tank full, propane full, TV fuel full, and we are fully loaded ready for a trip. We put EVERYTHING in the trailer and we are a family of 4, kids are 7 and 4. By these numbers we only have 140lbs of cushion!!! Other readers please feel to chime in, I would love verification that my interpretation of these numbers are correct. We do have a Reese W/D set up with 1K bars. We mainly do weekend trips at state parks here in Texas, so our trips are in the 2-4 hr driving range. Fuel consumption is KILLER!!!! We average 6 mpg with the 5.3L engine (stay in 4th gear, 3000 RPMS @70 MPH). Our little 26 gallon tank makes for lots of pit stops. Anyway that's my 2-cents for what its worth. I'm sure your family will love the new trailer and make lots of wonderful memories for years to come. Stay safe and ENJOY!!!!!
    Yes, 140 is what you have left, 7200 - 7060 (steer axle + drive axle from CAT ticket) You can improve that by not carrying a full tank of fresh water. Also your trailer weight is 5780 + tongue weight, you didn’t mention what that is.

Here’s a nice calculator to help figure that out but you will need three weighs, results will be at the bottom.
    http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualW...ailerCatScales

If you haven’t already done so, check two more numbers, your truck’s GCWR and compare that to the total of 12840. And check your hitch max weight to make sure you cover the tongue weight.

And yes, no need to worry about the payload number since you have actual real world numbers (steer + drive axle) from the CAT scale to compare to your truck’s GVWR.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast