User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move up a notch on the truck. Truck weight with a heavy trailer effects stability. Towed another brand about 5400 lbs and a 1500 did fine, but, you knee it wa ssn back there and mountains were fun. Moved up to a 2500 diesel and it was way way better. The different is the truck weighed more than the trailer and did not feel pulled around as much. Would seriously look at a 3500 instead of a 2500 because prices are not that different, apparently. This gives some room to grow into the next trailer. Truck will last longer than trailer if you use them both a n lot.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!!! Thanks for that link!!! Never knew how to calculate my tongue weight and its wwwaaayyy more than I anticipated. Here are the 3 weights if anyone would like to use them as an example.....

Weigh 1 with W/D = Steer - 3540 ;; drive - 3520 ;; trailer - 5780 ;; total - 12840
    Weigh 2 w/o W/D = Steer - 3280 ;; drive - 3940 ;; trailer - 5640 ;; total - 12860
    Weigh 3 truck only = Steer - 3480 ;; drive - 2580 ;; total - 6060

Acording to the chevrolets website, my GCWR is 15K and my hitch rating is a V-5 GM which is 1200 for the tongue and 12k for the trailer :-(

Thanks again for your reply!!! Helps me out ALOT!!!!

Let us know how your set-up goes NDIrishLacrosse :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghdorn View Post
    ... seriously look at a 3500 instead of a 2500 because prices are not that different, apparently.....
    It's subjective ... Same setup as my 2500 was $8,000 more for the 3500. Diesel was $9600 more. Drove the 3500 and it was a rougher ride than a 2500.

Unless you get a dually (even more $), the only thing gained is 600 lbs payload. My 2500 is 3750. More than I needed.

Want a dually and / or option to get any trailer out there? Then get a 3500 dually...me..I saved some bank.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachWun View Post
    It's subjective ... Same setup as my 2500 was $8,000 more for the 3500. Diesel was $9600 more. Drove the 3500 and it was a rougher ride than a 2500.
    There had to be more differences between your 2500 and 3500 to warrant an $8,000 difference. As you pointed out, that is almost what your pay for a full diesel powertrain upgrade.

There seems to be a wide range of available payload on 2500’s. Someone posted not long ago that the F-250 with the power stoke they were looking at had a payload rating of ~1,900 which is within a 100lb of an XLT F-150, moderately optioned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EC0387 View Post
    There had to be more differences between your 2500 and 3500 to warrant an $8,000 difference.
    Not when it came to capabilities. Pricing is not a good measure.

With the right config, 2500 max tow is 18500 whereas 3500 is 33000 (duallys and I think diesel).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Should Be Okay, But Pushing the Safety Limits

Quote Originally Posted by rmcrowe View Post
    I doubt your tongue weight will be much above 1000lbs. I think you will be okay but probably at the upper edge of what you can tow. I tow a 2500rl with a 2018 f150 platinum that has similar weight parameters and it's okay but we are right on the edge. If I had it to do over again I would probably opt for a 250 but I have not felt unsafe with the 150. Be careful how you load the trailer and don't travel with water full. Have fun with your new tt!

Bob
    I had the same configuration...2018 F150 Lariat FX4 3.5 EB with Max Tow Package (Available Payload of 1595lbs) and towed a 2020 GD Reflection 297RSTS (UVW=7895, GVWR=9995, Tongue Weight=795). I had the same concerns about exceeding the limits of the F150, so I spent a lot of time at the CAT scales to get my weight distribution within acceptable limits. I have to also say that I carry approx. 300lbs in the bed of the truck (4000 watt generator, toolbox, air compressor, power station, misc ltems, and this also includes the Bak Flip Tonneau cover). Then Add in 400lbs (rounded up) for my wife and I. Then another 200lbs for the Propride 3P Hitch (WD/Sway). When I weighed the TT at the CAT scales (Fully loaded with full propane, cloths, food, misc. items...and I also installed the HWH Hydraulic Auto Leveling System) the TT only weighed out at 9600lbs. So we were shy of the GVWR identified by GD. We towed the Reflection all over the South and Southwest over mountains and flatland without any issue. Towing, accelerating and stopping power were excellent and I never felt unsafe. The only concern I had was the wind (30-45mph crosswinds)....and the fact that I still exceeded the MFG GAWR (Rear Axle) by 240lbs....even after adjusting my WD as much as I could.

Given the numbers and potential risk/damage to the truck by exceeding the GAWR, I recently upgraded to a 2019 F250 Platinum 6.7 Diesel....and couldn't be happier. This new F250 tows so much better and I know that I am well below the numbers across the board. It also tows the Reflection flawlessly....I barely even know it's behind the truck. Not to mention, I now have massaging seats for those long drives.

But back to the F150, you should be okay, and I know there are many out there who don't even take the time to check their numbers and they're fine. There are also those who'll say the F150 is too small, and they have a good argument. So even though I didn't have any issues towing the Reflection with the F150, I decided error on the safe side and I wanted a little more peace of mind....so the F250 provided this for me. But the F150 Lariat was a solid truck and I do miss it at times.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not when it came to capabilities. Pricing is not a good measure.

With the right config, 2500 max tow is 18500 whereas 3500 is 33000 (duallys and I think diesel).
    You’ve lost me. Your post said that a 3500 with the same capabilities of your 2500 was $8,000 more. The price difference between a 2500 and 3500 is right around $1,000. I am confused where the other $7,000 in markup is coming from.

I was strictly referring to payload, not GCWR. It is my understanding that even in the heaviest duty configurations, todays trucks run out of payload first with the exception of dialysis and 4500’s. I could be wrong, just what I have concluded from reading 🤷**♂️.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't set the price. The 3500, configured line my 2500 has the same tow capacity, but it is slightly beefier ... handling 600 more pounds payload. And was 8k more (not 1k) at several dealers around me.. Both Denali, both 6.3 gas, both goose and 5th wheel setup,...

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't set the price. The 3500, configured line my 2500 has the same tow capacity, but it is slightly beefier ... handling 600 more pounds payload. And was 8k more (not 1k) at several dealers around me.. Both Denali, both 6.3 gas, both goose and 5th wheel setup,...
    That is weird, but like you said, you aren’t setting the pricing. Have you been happy with the gas engine performance?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this far. There is a couple pretty steep grades I have hit this far. I found it will accelerate up the grade, albeit slowly, and engine brake downhill. My buddy has the twin turbo Duramax diesel and his will run up the grade in comparison, pass on a 2 lane highway much easier, but like I said, I will use it in Winter and rainy days and my use is short trips. The cost of the diesel upfront and ongoing was too much to justify it for me.

And I know I won't get a trailer heavy enough to make me regret getting big daddy. I am ok setting the cruise at 73 mph and leisurely driving her home.

Driving in heavy cross wind this week I noticed being pushed but my lateral movement was not but a foot in the lane and the rig stayed right with the TV...no sway (I ran at chain link 11 on the blue ox). I have a 2800bh and she weighed in at a nose over 7500. The truck had 4 mountain bikes, Seven 5 gallon buckets of wood, some milk crates of water, and 900 lbs of people and dogs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast