User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New buyer... Ford F-150 towing a 2400BH (hitch/tongue weight too much?)

Hey everyone. New member here. Put a down payment on an Imagine 2400BH the other day, expected delivery the end of September.

I know this question has been asked time and time again; and I have searched through this website and still am pretty concerned that I won't be able to tow this TT and that the salesperson didn't do their best by making sure I got into a TT that I can work with.

Here's what I've got to tow: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat, Crew Cab, Short Bed (5.5'), 3.5L V6 Ecoboost. Has the Max Tow Package so it has the Class IV hitch, enhanced front sway bar, enhanced coolant, etc. By my math, I am good on towing the 2400BH (Ford gives it a GCWR of 16,100 pounds and maximum loaded trailer weight of 10,700 pounds). I should automatically add that I will be using an Equalizer 1000 weight distributing hitch.

After I freaked out on my math, and double checked my towing capacity to make sure it is good, I went down the rabbit hole of hitch and tongue weights. Here's where I am really starting to struggle. The truck's GVWR is 7,000 pounds, sticker inside the door with tire information says my payload should not exceed 1,690 pounds, so my assumption is that my curb weight for the F-150 is around 5,310 pounds. Reading through the forum, it seems that GD is notorious for under reporting the dry TT weights on their advertisements, and most people say to max out your weights when estimating. So, the max weight for the 2400BH is 7,495 pounds... 15% tongue weight for it would be 1,124 pounds... that leaves me just 566 pounds for cargo and passengers.

Traveling with me will be my wife (let's just call it 340 pounds combined...) and two kids, ages 6 and 2 (85 pounds combined?) and 60 pound dog = 485 pounds, let's call it 500 pounds for good measure.

So 66 pounds remain for cargo? Am I overthinking this? Is that enough? And I haven't even figured in the weight of the Equalizer 1000... Help! Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt your tongue weight will be much above 1000lbs. I think you will be okay but probably at the upper edge of what you can tow. I tow a 2500rl with a 2018 f150 platinum that has similar weight parameters and it's okay but we are right on the edge. If I had it to do over again I would probably opt for a 250 but I have not felt unsafe with the 150. Be careful how you load the trailer and don't travel with water full. Have fun with your new tt!

Bob
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First welcome to the forum!

You did a good job looking up and calculating all your weight limits. The 7,495 and 15% tongue are worse case if you loaded the trailer to its max. I could be wrong but since you are going through the process of making sure you are safe, you are probably not going to load the trailer willie-nillie.

Let’s say your trailer from the factory is about 5850 and tongue about 605. I’m going off the online dry weights for the 2400BH and adding weight for propane and one battery which is how mine came. Equalizer hitch will add about 100 so now you’re about 705 tongue.

Now add your estimate of 500 for people and you’re about 1205 towards your payload of 1690 from your sticker. You might also carry tools, gear, food, fire wood, and maybe even bikes in your truck, plus your kids will continue to grow. Try to estimate that into the payload equation. You may not be able to carry much if any fresh water while towing. This is all before you add anything into the trailer.

You should be okay with your GCWR. Keep an eye on your axle ratings especially the rear.

Again, I’m basing these numbers off of how my 22mle came from the factory. The 2400BH online dry weights may be off. My online dry weights were 5176 and 490; delivered they were 5248 and 580.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Rob, we have a 2019 F150 Screw short box 2.7EB and towing a 22mle. Bought the truck last Sept and wasn't planning on buying a TT. I do lots of mileage and wanted to save on gas. Our max tow is 7600 and max payload is 1426. You should be fine and you'll really discover how those EB are real power house. Going up hill really wont be an issue but keep in mind that we only have 6 small cylinders so engine breaking while going downhill wont be as effective. Also keep an eye on your TV tire weight capacity and your drive axle weight capacity. When you'll pick up your TT they will give you your a actual weight sheet for your serial number. They be like advertised. I suggest, that right after you pick up your TT you hit a cat scale for the 3 readings. PS. Empty the fresh tank before, the dealer will add water in it to test it. The 3 weight readings are TV & TT with WDH engage, then TV & TV with WDH bars disengage, then TV with out TT. With these scale numbers you will know exactly where you stand and how you can load. If you download the CaT Scale app first it saves a bit of time at the scale. Then when you head out for your first trip, hit the scale again and get those 3 readings again. Adjust if necessary for the following trip. The first reading will also indicate if your WDH is properly setup.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2015 F-150 with 3.5 ecoboost and max tow package. My payload is 1789 lbs. I tow a Transcend 26 rls that has loaded tonque weight of 920 lbs. and max weight of 8495 lbs. it tows it great. Only expect about 9.5 mpg.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 F150 2.7 2wd truck, and brought my 24' Bennington tritoon boat home for the first time this week. I've towed it with my F250 diesel in the past.

I found the 1/2 ton to be kind of bouncy in the rear end. The engine has plenty of power, but it really needs stronger shock absorbers. If I towed much, it'd have air bags on the rear.

And if I was towing a 7,000 pound travel trailer with equalizer hitch, it'd be special ordered with the Max Tow & RV packages. They're seldom seen on dealer lots due to the cost of the options.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NDIrishLacrosse,

I’m glad you asked the questions, as I am in a similar spot. My truck is absolutely identical to yours (Lariat, short box, SC, max tow, 3.5, etc.) other than it is a 17’. I have the sport package which includes 20” rims so my payload is 1,555. I have a 500 lb family and have lost sleep runnings the same numbers.

You don’t have to look hard to find some incredibly high tongue weights around here. I have not seen specifics for the 2400BH from an owner yet. I would be interested to see what your weights are when you get everything loaded. Can you report back your real world finding when the time comes? I wonder how much you can safely control the TW based on how you load.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EC0387 View Post
    NDIrishLacrosse,

I’m glad you asked the questions, as I am in a similar spot. My truck is absolutely identical to yours (Lariat, short box, SC, max tow, 3.5, etc.) other than it is a 17’. I have the sport package which includes 20” rims so my payload is 1,555. I have a 500 lb family and have lost sleep runnings the same numbers.

You don’t have to look hard to find some incredibly high tongue weights around here. I have not seen specifics for the 2400BH from an owner yet. I would be interested to see what your weights are when you get everything loaded. Can you report back your real world finding when the time comes? I wonder how much you can safely control the TW based on how you load.
    EC0387, sure will. It will be a little while. I am tentatively going to receive my 2400BH in mid to late September.

I also found a lot of help on the Facebook group specifically for 2400BH/2800BH owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to know for sure is to hit the scales.

Our 2400BH packed about 80% ready to go, fresh water tank half full, maybe 10% full black and grey tanks, propane 100% full puts about 1000 lbs on the rear truck axle without the WD hitch bars attached so I’m assuming it’s at least 1000 lbs of tongue weight. I have a non-WD hitch from Weigh-Safe that has a tongue scale built in- this hitch claims the tongue weight is 700 lbs but I think I trust the Cat Scales more. After spending a considerable amount of time at the scales, I was able to adjust it so the truck and trailer are level and I moved about 200 lbs off the rear truck axle and have the front axle pretty close to pre-trailer weight.

Honestly, with the low payload rating of the Tundra, by the time we’re 100% ready to go, we’re overloaded. We have a little room on our GAWR but over on payload. However, you wouldn’t really know it by just driving or looking at it. It brakes, maneuvers and tracks really good. No issues with sway even in crosswinds. If I spent some more time with it, I could probably get just under our payload limit.

My opinion is, depending on how you pack, you’ll be close on the payload but totally doable.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got 1555 lb of payload. With the dog, wife and child, I have ~1,000 lb left. I think I can make it all work within limits if I pack the trailer properly. I have been juggling what to do with a 100 lb. generator. I know they make those tongue mounts but that is just more weight on the back of the truck.

I have heard that the ProPride system while heavy, actually takes weight off the TV and puts it on the trailer due to the coupler being moved an additional foot or two back from the rear axle. I have been looking at buying it for the sway capabilities but this could be an added bonus.

Lots to learn!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast