Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site Size Question

We have spent years camping in State and National Parks as well as many COEs, but it has always been in tents, we traveled in a SUV so site size was rarely an issue. As we are preparing for our first travel camper purchase I have been looking closely at the size limits in these parks. My question is this -when you are asked the length of your vehicle are they talking about just the camper itself or do you have to add the tow vehicle as well. I have been assuming that is just the camper itself, otherwise a 30' foot site would only accommodate at a 12' trailer if you figure 18' for the tow vehicle. I don't want to find out my logic is wrong and be very limited on where we can camp. We prefer to stay in government parks and public lands.

Can anyone clarify this for me. Thank you in advance for your help.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group. It's just the camper. If they are wanting to charge by the foot like on ferries then you give them just the interior lenght. Lol

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonepuupy View Post
    We have spent years camping in State and National Parks as well as many COEs, but it has always been in tents, we traveled in a SUV so site size was rarely an issue. As we are preparing for our first travel camper purchase I have been looking closely at the size limits in these parks. My question is this -when you are asked the length of your vehicle are they talking about just the camper itself or do you have to add the tow vehicle as well. I have been assuming that is just the camper itself, otherwise a 30' foot site would only accommodate at a 12' trailer if you figure 18' for the tow vehicle. I don't want to find out my logic is wrong and be very limited on where we can camp. We prefer to stay in government parks and public lands.

If possible (if I'm actually talking to a person on the phone), I ask "do you mean total length or just the trailer?" Generally it's been only the actual RV length, but it has happened that they want the total length.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every campground I have spoken to asks for the length of just the RV and what kind is it. Obviously if it is a class A then the length is the length. But in the case of a 5th wheel I think their programs or charts are set to assume there is a truck that needs parked in front or behind your RV, and they have already taken that into account. It is always good to know both lengths however as stated above.
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Agree with the posts above. The usual question is what kind of RV? Travel Trailers are coupler to rear (ladder or sometimes spare tire), 5ers from pin to ladder or spare. The other question I’ve been asked is regarding slides, do you have any? If so, which side or both sides? Some sites are very tight and will not accommodate slides on both sides - wife refers to these as one nighters.
    Good suggestion is to use GDRV spec length rounded up to next foot. I know @Ynot4me2 was joking re the ferry length, but the ferries we’ve taken have marks on the pavement and they determine what your rig length is.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonepuupy View Post

In commerical campgrounds you tell them what kind of rig and how long it is and they will get you a site large enough.

Public lands campgrounds are much more complicated and each agency is different. The length they want usually is the trailer only but sometimes it also includes the tow vehicle. Read the fine print.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2600rb. 30' long with 1 slide at <4' sticking out, I also need another 8'+ for the awning. Add it all up and it's 20' wide just to fit in a site. . When looking at campgrounds I like sites at least 50'x30' wide (not fond of the really tight sites). I did have a recent site that met those specs but had a tree in it and my awning wouldn't fully extend, also had another tree on the back side which made it tough site. After talking to the campground owner I very carefully jacked my TT around the back tree which then allowed me to fully extend the awning. I have really good backing skills and it took me a good 20 minutes to squeeze it in just right. Took me another 20 minutes to get it out of the site (without bashing the TT into the back tree) when it was time to leave.
    Last edited by ckreef; 08-09-2020 at 07:01 AM.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many campgrounds now offer pictures or dimensions of sites on their web or booking page. Zion is a good example. I have never had a problem with the slide clearance, but have had awning issues (just left closed).

Best thing is to call talk to a ranger or even better ask for the camp ground host(s) phone number. I have found them to be an excellent source of information including park conditions - like is shower house closed. Sun direction, site with a view or privacy, or NOT next to dumpsters. Don't ask about that one - well OK twist my arm. Dumpsters on one side and pit toilet on the other - only spot left and we had to stop. Yep I was up at 6AM walking the park, ready to move if someone left. Rest of stay was fine once I found an isolated deep site at 6:30 AM (caught the folks getting ready to leave) . Had to park the DW at the table while I finished moving the unit. She said 3 others had stopped to take it in the 15 minutes I was gone.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar