User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remove Roof Coating

I have a 2014 momentum. The previous owner apparently applied some sort of roof sealant/coating over the whole roof. When you walk in it and it’s hot, it actually leaves an impression of your shoes. It is not very thick, maybe 1/16 thick and it is tan in color like the roof itself. It is like some sort of roll on sealant/topping that never cured. I’m not sure what it is, but I need to remove it. I’m considering the Dicor Roof coating system and maybe the new Crazy Seal...but before I decide what I’m going to use, I need to remove the coating. I haven’t tried the dicor cleaner, but would like to remove the coating before I decide what to use. Any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure it's a coating? What you describe is what my roof was like with defective EPDM roof built in 2014.

Edit: feels and looks like putty
    Last edited by JCR GD; 10-18-2020 at 08:18 AM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit

It is exactly like putty. I am the 2nd owner and since it is 6 years old, is there any chance of grand design fixing the problem? I wouldn’t think grand design would step in at this point and I understand that. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to deal with this issue?
    Last edited by Dmcc625; 10-19-2020 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Additional Question

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmcc625 View Post
    It is exactly like putty. I am the 2nd owner and since it is 6 years old, is there any chance of grand design fixing the problem? I wouldn’t think grand design would step in at this point and I understand that. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to deal with this issue?
    There is a 12 year warranty on the roofing material and since this is a known issue due to a bad lot of material I would give customer service a call and see. The worst that they can say is sorry we will not cover this.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD will no doubt send you directly to Dicor, below is info from my post to another related thread.

" In Feb. of 2019 my Dicor contact was Don. 574-264-2699 Ext 1149. They will want pictures and trailer info.

They will probably make you a dollar offer with a kit including all materials, after reminding you this is "good will" since the actual weather integrity has not been compromised. Don't take their first offer, get an estimate for labor (since materials should be provided by Dicor) and use that to leverage a better number. "
    Last edited by JCR GD; 10-19-2020 at 05:46 PM.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a response from Dicor that says they can’t transfer the warranty to a 2nd owner but he also said send some pics and he may be able to help a little. What does that mean? Will they offer money, repair, or what? It seems to me that after I found out that the roof was defective then they should replace the roof or am I wrong? If they offer money, what should I expect?
    Last edited by Dmcc625; 10-21-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will probably offer you materials and maybe some money. The problem is (other than being a second owner) the roof weather protection has not failed ( their belief, not mine) just the outer coating. If i were you i would get various levels of service bids so you will have an idea of what the costs are before following up with Dicor. Total roof replace, labor only, materials, etc.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a response from Dicor that says they can’t transfer the warranty to a 2nd owner but he also said send some pics and he may be able to help a little. What does that mean? Will they offer money, repair, or what? It seems to me that after I found out that the roof was defective then they should replace the roof or am I wrong? If they offer money, what should I expect?
    It's not unusual for a job that would be covered by an original owner not to be covered for subsequent owners. So I'm going to say "Yes, they don't HAVE to replace the roof". I agree with JCR to get quotes for the work, so you have some knowledge for bargaining, if that's what happens.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the reason I like this site and other forums... lots of good info and advice. I will also get quotes for replacement, labor, etc. I am actually interested in doing the newer crazy seal roof coating. CRAZYSEAL.COM
    I am fairly competent in diy tasks, and would do this myself. I’m just curious as to how to negotiate with dicor. I sincerely appreciate the info and will keep updating to this thread.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck! My fear would be nothing will stick to the "putty"
    Jim (& Sharon)
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast