User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bunch of dumb questions!

We are getting closer and have been in the 310GK-R and 344GK-R - like both a lot. A couple of questions if anyone has an answer/suggestion, would very much appreciate.
    1) Does the UVW quoted by GD on their website for a specific floor plan include weight for equipment in the mandatory Solitude 'option' packages?
    2) Is there any source for what the options add to weight (dual pane windows for example, solar, slide toppers,...)?
    3) Under optimal conditions, will the 300W factory solar manage the residential fridge (I'm guessing that depends on battery capacity but the answer is probably no)?
    4) Are factory solar panels on the roof or in a portable pack? Can you add additional portable panels?
    5) Does the king bed upgrade increase the width of the slide-out? What's difference between the king and queen in construction? (Tried a factory mattress out and that isn't going to work). The kings we saw seemed very 'squished' into a queen size slide out. Made me wonder if dealers just ordered a queen and thew in a cheapo king mattress since they didn't fit.
    6) Anyone have a rough weight for washer & dryer - any recommendations on brands? I assume this is a dealer install?
    7) Is there any specific reason why the two slides in the main living area are on one switch? Ideally, for the 344, I may like to extend one side partially to access the fridge.

Due to back problems, I'm interested in anything that makes travel, set-up, and tear-down as easy as possible. Would love to hear any suggestions on that account.

Thanks very much,
    John and Robin

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2) Is there any source for what the options add to weight (dual pane windows for example, solar, slide toppers,...)?
    I've never seen one.
    3) Under optimal conditions, will the 300W factory solar manage the residential fridge (I'm guessing that depends on battery capacity but the answer is probably no)?
    Far too many variables for a simple answer. I have the factory 300w solar panel and on 8 hour travel days with the fridge on, the solar panel (and to a much lesser extent the truck) keeps my two LiFePO4 batteries fully charged on a sunny day.
    4) Are factory solar panels on the roof or in a portable pack? Can you add additional portable panels?
    On the roof (a single and large 300w panel). You can add whatever you want to any solar system. If you want to know if there is an OEM plug somewhere that is used to plug additional portable panels into with no other changes to the system- no.
    5) Does the king bed upgrade increase the width of the slide-out? What's difference between the king and queen in construction? (Tried a factory mattress out and that isn't going to work). The kings we saw seemed very 'squished' into a queen size slide out. Made me wonder if dealers just ordered a queen and thew in a cheapo king mattress since they didn't fit.
    No, the slides are the same width regardless of bed size. The king size bed option gives you a wider plywood platform to set the mattress on. Factory mattresses are throw away items. The queen bed leaves more room on the sides (obviously) to walk around the bed.
    6) Anyone have a rough weight for washer & dryer - any recommendations on brands? I assume this is a dealer install?
    It depends on which make/model you get but I'd say the average weight of a washer is 150lbs. Dryer is maybe half that. Several brands of compact washers and dryers are available. LG, Whirlpool, Splendide, etc. The dryer will be 110v only so that limits your choices. For example, LG makes a compact washer but not a compact 110v dryer. I installed a washer and dryer in my first two RV's. I put a non-vented LG washer/dryer combo in our current RV. Of course, you can also have your dealer do it for you. Unless it has been redesigned recently as has been rumored, the design of the washer/dryer closet in the Solitude 310GK is HORRIBLE! It's not wide enough, not deep enough, has horrible routing for the dryer vent, not enough room for the water lines on the side of the washer, etc.
    7) Is there any specific reason why the two slides in the main living area are on one switch? Ideally, for the 344, I may like to extend one side partially to access the fridge.
    There are switches in the passenger side propane compartment that allow you to operate the main slides separately. You close a valve to stop that slide from operating.
    Due to back problems, I'm interested in anything that makes travel, set-up, and tear-down as easy as possible. Would love to hear any suggestions on that account.
    I've had two back surgeries so I sympathize with you there. My biggest problem by far with back problems and RV's is my height. I'm 6' 4" and find myself ducking constantly. I don't think anything about set up and tear down of an RV would hurt my back. Walking around in the bedroom and bathroom does though :-) One thing that helps my back a little is I installed a cargo tray in the basement storage area. This allows me to get access to tubs by sliding out the tray rather than removing half a dozen tubs and then putting them all back in.
    Last edited by bertschb; 08-08-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    We are getting closer and have been in the 310GK-R and 344GK-R - like both a lot. A couple of questions if anyone has an answer/suggestion, would very much appreciate.
    1) Does the UVW quoted by GD on their website for a specific floor plan include weight for equipment in the mandatory Solitude 'option' packages?

Thanks very much,
    John and Robin
    Put this in an email to GD They are pretty good at getting back to folks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, sent an email off to GD as they did respond to a prior couple of questions.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Put this in an email to GD They are pretty good at getting back to folks
    Below are the email responses I received from GD on option weights (not considering all options - but wanted to know if a unit turned up with those options, what the weight impact would be) and whether the mandatory options are included in the advertised UVW. I also asked if 100% of the weight of the options is added to pin weight - the answer is at the bottom and a bit confusing to me particularly for the generator which is far forward (sorry left slide rule and physics back in the '70s)?

"All the mandatory options will be included in UVW. Those additional items will not be included on the UVW on our website. Here is an approximate list of weights for the additional items you listed.

Residential Fridge: 227 lbs.

3rd A/C unit: 88 lbs.

Dual Pane Windows: 200 – 250 lbs.

Solar Panel: 49.6 lbs.

Exterior Kitchen: approximately 80 Lbs.

the generator is located in the front storage compartment and weighs about 200 LBS. The gens LP fuel consumption @ 50 % load is about 0.8 Gallons/Hr.

This should have very little impact on tongue weight and your payload. Same with pin weight."
    Last edited by ajg617; 08-13-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were to get all those options. That would add 720 pounds to the trailer, certainly affecting which WD bars or fiver hitch you get. At 15% and 25% respectively for trailer or fiver that would add 108 - 180 pounds to TW or Pin Weight with an equivalent reduction (720 pounds) in ccc.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I don't think these were dumb questions at all! I learned a lot by reading the answers!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I opted to have the dealer purchase and install my Splendide Ariston washer (150 lbs) and vented dryer (67 lbs) units in my 310GK, because at this stage in my life I have more money than strength. I have the knowledge and ability to install them (former Sears appliance tech), but watching YouTube videos of others doing it makes me hurt all over. I agree with Brian (bertschb) that the cabinet for the washer/dryer in the 310GK would make for a difficult do-it-yourself project from everything I've seen and read.

Here's is how I negotiated getting them installed for free. You ask for a quote on what it would cost for the pair including installation. The price for that gets added into the cost of the trailer. Then you figure out how to get 30% off the cost of the trailer. Now the washer/dryer/install price becomes the washer/dryer price that you would have paid if you had purchased them yourself.

John, thanks for asking all of those questions. I've added all of the weight information to my growing Batteries, Solar, and Mods document for my 310GK (it will get here eventually).
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it matters which GD trailer you get you will want to replace the mattress. We replaced ours with a regular home mattress fairly quick.
    They do squeeze it into the same spot. If you can get by with a queen you'll have a few more inches to get around the bed. If you have not been in one yet you will find those extra inches are noticable when moving about and making the bed.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I don't think it matters which GD trailer you get you will want to replace the mattress. We replaced ours with a regular home mattress fairly quick.
    They do squeeze it into the same spot. If you can get by with a queen you'll have a few more inches to get around the bed. If you have not been in one yet you will find those extra inches are noticable when moving about and making the bed.
    First thing my son did with his Imagine. We tried one out on a 310 and 344 as well as an Alliance and a DRV and yes indeed - nothing compared to home. DRV was the most comfortable but for $167K it should be. Interesting because the mattresses in our 32' BH TT (late '90s) were actually comfortable and much thicker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast