User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added airbags to my truck. I recommend that you read the instructions first. The instructions for my truck required that I remove the rubber Axel "bumpers" from the suspension. So I had to look for air bags that included the "bumpers" internally. With internal "bumpers" I can now run zero air pressure in my bags when there is no need for them to be inflated, which for me is most of the time. The suspension on me dually is pretty tiff when I am running empty. This is just a recommendation that my save you from trouble later on.
    KZ and Terry Kleinheitz, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Meka and Prissy (Social butterflies in Dachshound bodies)
    2015 379FL Solitude
    2014 Ram 3500, Crew Cab, Laramie, Cummins, Auto, 4X4, Long Bed, DRW, Andersen Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find virtually every mechanical task on UTube.com for cars, boats, RV's, motorcycles.

I put AirRide air bags on my truck, and the hardest part was assembling the air bag assembly prior to bolting it to the frame and axle. The instructions read like a foreign language and I would have been sunk had the video not been on UTube for my 2003 F250.

I read of those looking to tow full size fifth wheels and tow haulers with single rear wheel trucks. They'll certainly pull the weight, but remember the Pin weight is what's limiting to single rear wheels. With any 3.5-5K lbs. pin weight, there's no substitution for dual rear wheels.

I bought my Reflection 323BHS as it's the max pin weight (2K) that I want to tow with my truck.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also installed Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags on my truck. These replace the factory jounce bumpers (rubber bumpers on the frame above the axle) but have jounce bumpers inside, in case you get into an impact with low pressure in the bags. The Airlift instructions come with actual photographs of the installation on your type of truck. Very easy to follow.
    I also installed the Airlift on board compressor which makes fine tuning pressure and ride while underway, really easy.

To the point that Bamaman is making, if your truck is "squatting" with a 5th wheel load which is directly over the rear axle, you need to check your load carrying numbers. All these trucks were designed to carry their rated loads (per the label on the drivers door pillar) without dramatic changes to angle (squatting). Air bags were originally intended for bumper pull situations where the weight on the hitch can change the angle of the truck without exceeding any of its load carrying ratings.

In my case, with the 5th wheel attached, my truck sits 1/2" higher at the back than level with 5 psi ( minimum recommended by Airlift) in the bags. I run with 30 psi which brings the back of the truck up about another 1/2" but noticeably cushions the ride. Per Airlift, these bags lift 40 lbs per psi. Thus 1200 lbs for a 1/2" of "angle adjustment" in my case. Sounds about right to me.

I tow a relatively small Reflection with what some think is too small a truck. I see lots of pictures of F250 and other 3/4 ton trucks squatting under much larger Solitudes and Momentums. This picture of our rig loaded and ready for extended camping . . . with the minimum 5 psi in the Airlift bags. Truck ride actually feels even better at greater than 30 psi, but this begins to take the front of the RV noticeably higher than level.

Rob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	1424

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	1425
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first hooked up my Reflection trailer, the bed barely went down. I forgot to air up the AirLifts--and only had 5 lbs. pressure in them. My F250 has the same springs as 1 tons, including the helper spring. But next time we go out, I'm looking for 40-50 lbs. pressure in the bag.

And Rob is right about seeing "full size" fifth wheel trailers squatting the rear suspension on single rear wheel trucks. Many need duals to handle the bigger rigs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But an added note is that with most toy haulers, they have a heavier pin weight dry. This is because we have fuel tanks and toys that get loaded in the rear, which in turn lightens the pin weight from the truck. I also feared the overloaded aspect of a toy hauler, but unlike a few I've seen, I went with the lighter toy hauler to keep the weight down but still have the garage. The bags can run at 5 psi with the truck loaded for a trip and it only squats about an 1.5" from normal. It might seem like a lot, but remember all trucks have a rake, which the rear sit higher then the front, so it doesn't squat much. But I too ride with about 44 psi in the bags to help take the jolts and hits that happen while traveling on these awesome Louisiana roads.
    Stephen & Nikki

2013 Ford F-250 SRW w/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, B&W Companion Hitch,
    Titan XXL 50 Gallon Mid-Ship Fuel Tank and Viair Onboard Air.
    2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2009 Club Car Golf Cart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And for a lot of trucks, you'll get some squat. That is intentionally because you're not riding on the helper spring all the time, thus, though minimally, getting a better ride unloaded.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the helper springs ever take part of a load, you're going to be seriously loading it down. They don't work at all unless there's quite a bit of squat, and we're not talking 1 1/2".

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not getting to the helper, how are you overloading the truck?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The helper spring and the rubber jounce bumper above the axle on the frame are to protect the active springs from damage due to over travel during a road surface impact. There is a lot more going on back there when you hit a major pothole, than what you can measure statically. If you can see any witness marks on the axle from contact with the jounce bumper, after a rough trip, you have pushed the suspension to its limit.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Jthamilton
    Well picked it up and have a little squat going on the truck but not too bad. We successfully picked it up a few miles from coast in Orange County and are now enjoying ourselves outside of Death Valley for a couple days. I really don't think airbags are a must but think it will do better with them. Will attach some pics tomorrow I hope. Wifi just fixed here at the campground today while we were exploring!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12