User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Multimeter to buy?

Any good recommendations for a good multimeter to purchase? (Harbor Freight is close by...)
    2021 2800BH
    2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want/need to do with it. I have a Fluke true RMS but they're not cheap.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just need it to be able to test/troubleshoot electrical systems within an RV. Not looking to break the bank - only get the job done when necessary.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...ter-63759.html
    Cant go wrong with this cheap fellow and you wont cry if you fry it or lose it

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With this guy, you will also be able to measure the draw.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...ter-96308.html

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    That all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want/need to do with it. I have a Fluke true RMS but they're not cheap.

I agree with Flke I have had mine now for 25 or 30 years and it still works great.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Klien MM400 from Home depot looks good for ~$50
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...M400/206517333
    Last edited by gbkims; 08-09-2020 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Typo
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Klein seems about right. Auto-ranging seems to be a good feature for a novice. I'm new to the RV life and just trying to gear up my tool bag with what is necessary to be prepared. For those that might be experts with electrical, is there anything the Klein M400 might be missing in regards to a 2800BH TT (50amp) and it's comprehensive electrical system? This is something I might not know a lot about but want to be prepared with the correct tool for the job if/when I need it. Thanks all for the responses!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rags702 View Post
    The Klein seems about right. Auto-ranging seems to be a good feature for a novice. I'm new to the RV life and just trying to gear up my tool bag with what is necessary to be prepared. For those that might be experts with electrical, is there anything the Klein M400 might be missing in regards to a 2800BH TT (50amp) and it's comprehensive electrical system? This is something I might not know a lot about but want to be prepared with the correct tool for the job if/when I need it. Thanks all for the responses!
    Having very good and capable tools is a high priority with me. My wife calls it an illness. Let me have a crack at making you as ill as I am.

Preparing for electrical trouble with your RV is an absolute necessity. Resolve that you WILL have trouble and that you want to be fully prepared for it.

Our trailers have both 120V systems and 12V systems. You really want to be able to test voltage, resistance, continuity, and amperage on both systems. The Klein MM400 recommended above does all of those things, but with a couple of BUTs.

First, the Klein is limited to testing amperage up to max 10 amps like many less-expensive meters (in fact many can't test amperage at all). It's pretty good in that it can do both AC and DC current measurement. However there are a great many circuits in your trailer - in fact most of them in both the AC and DC systems - that are 15-amp circuits. The Klein can't be used to test those circuits even at their rated currents, let alone circumstances in which the circuits are failing because too much current is being drawn through them.

Second, the meter must be inserted into the circuit to test current. To determine the amperage draw of a circuit it's necessary to disable the circuit, open it at some point, insert the meter between the two sides of the dismantled opening, and then enable and power the circuit. If there's too much current, pop goes the fuse in the meter.

The way to get around both BUTs is to purchase a clamp meter instead. Most clamp meters will also test for voltage, resistance, and continuity, the other features you need. However they can test current without dismantling the circuit just by placing the clamp around the wire in the circuit, and they can measure current to (and beyond) the levels you may encounter in your trailer.

Therefore I'd recommend that you purchase the meter below, at a minimum. There's a Fluke clamp meter with a remote display that's very darned fine for hundreds of dollars more but this one will admittedly have you well-equipped for trailer life while keeping you below the illness threshold.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...L800/206517428

Here's the Fluke 381 with remote display for the really sick:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=fluke+381

Good luck with your choice.
    Last edited by boyscout; 08-09-2020 at 08:06 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. A meter is a necessary tool as an RV owner. The knowledge to use it helps too.

I think the Klein Tools Model # CL390 would be slightly better the the more expensive clamp meter, because it does DC amps too.

To help with the knowledge, HERE is The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1) which is a great older web site to learn about RV electricity. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast