User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If You Had to Choose Between a Surge Protector, Back-up Camera, or Tire Upgrade...

and had $400 to spend, what would you go with?

We've a 2020 GD 230RL Fifth-wheel, our first fiver, but second camper. Towing it with a F-250. I'm torn between these three optional upgrades. I can think of pros for each one to be the first upgrade: would hate to damage electronics or A/C due to poor electricity, but we normally camp at the same CG that has pretty stable power, back-up camera would be helpful in parking and even while driving, but my wife is usually with me when we're setting up; and finally, Westlake tires are notorious for blow-outs, but our camper is pretty light considering.

So I'm opening it up for some counseling from those with more experience than I.

Thanks.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess depends which Westlakes you have, if it came with the G rated Westlakes, I would go with the EMS first. In my opinion a backup camera isnt necessary. I even park in truck spots at truck stops without it just fine, and you said you have a spotter to help you, so it's really not necessary. The EMS though, I wouldn't go without it. The tires are a judgement call, havent heard anything bad about the G rated Westlakes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will give my personal preference. I own what I refer to as my “$1200 surge suppressor”. That is because I didn’t buy it until AFTER a shorted neutral on a campground pedestal fried my transfer switch. Two months later the surge suppressor saves me from a short to ground in a campground pedestal in Ohio that only happened when you pushed on the plug! It pushed the hot lead into contact with the box because the plug is loose

My “back up camera” is my lovely bride of thirty years. We have never experienced a failure and she sees things the camera can’t see.

The tire pressure monitor is next on my list. It has been about three years since I had a tire failure while driving but it did some damage, but less than the surge did.

So personally I would invest in the surge suppressor first, tire monitor second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without hesitation, Tire Monitoring System.
    Then a surge protector and backup camera.
    Just my opinion.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't the newer, lighter Reflections coming with Goodyear Endurance tires? If that's the case, definitely the EMS. A good spotter is better than a rear camera. The suggestions for a TPMS is a good one, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Rob mentioned, your RV should have Goodyear Endurance tires. If so, I'd get the EMS first. If your RV has "E" rated Westlakes, I'd replace them first.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    and had $400 to spend, what would you go with?

We've a 2020 GD 230RL Fifth-wheel, our first fiver, but second camper. Towing it with a F-250. I'm torn between these three optional upgrades. I can think of pros for each one to be the first upgrade: would hate to damage electronics or A/C due to poor electricity, but we normally camp at the same CG that has pretty stable power, back-up camera would be helpful in parking and even while driving, but my wife is usually with me when we're setting up; and finally, Westlake tires are notorious for blow-outs, but our camper is pretty light considering.

So I'm opening it up for some counseling from those with more experience than I.

Thanks.
    We have had our Westlake tires for three years now with no issues. Just maintain proper pressure, stay under recommended speed and don't overload them. We do plan on replacing them with Goodyear Endurance next year. That said, I would definitely go with the EMS first then TPMS and backup camera.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    surge protector...
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tires first (if they are known poor models), then TPMS. Those two things are buying safety for you/your family. Those, IMHO, always come first. After that, I'd probably lean to a surge protector, just because the downside is pretty high if you get into some bad power. Back up camera would be last for me, I have one, it's moderately useful (it replaces my rear mirror when we're towing). That said, I don't see it as a need, when I tow short distance, I don't even usually set it up. It's a nice to have, for sure, but not at all a necessity, IMHO.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If You Had to Choose Between a Surge Protector, Back-up Camera, or Tire Upgrade...

EMS first. Since ours has protected our Reflection from electrical issues half a dozen times in the first 2 years of ownership.

I would probably never buy a BU cam, as I have never needed one. I get out and look several times instead, it’s a far better(safer) method.

I don’t fret about tires. Most people with blowouts seem to run cheap tires and/or overload their trailers. They also drive too fast and at low psi with their cheap tires that are rated for 60 mph.

I tow at 70-75 and have hit 80 mph a few times accidentally because my truck is too powerful for my tiny 9k# Reflection. But my Goodyear trailer tires are rated for 87 mph.

I check the pressure before each trip and they’re always at 80 psi unless it’s really cold then they’re at 76 psi. I don’t bother adding 4 psi because each tire is carrying almost 1,000# less than it’s capacity. This is why I spend the money on quality tools and equipment; so I don’t have to worry about them or spend money trying to monitor them.

Speaking of which, TPMS is a waste of money from my perspective as I’ve had one flat in my lifetime and I’m 53. They let you know if you develop a slow leak but very rarely protect against the most common failure which is a blowout.

Get Goodyear or Sailun tires first as well as an EMS, not just a surge protector, they’re pretty much useless. Our EMS has protected us against several low voltage and open ground situations, never even had a surge.

Maybe others with more RV experience have different views but those are mine after towing our Reflection about 15,000 miles in two years of full timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 08-10-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast